Re: BCP Maps - What will be left for US?

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 46 , Dec 1, 2005
      Candy,

      I believe these maps show areas in which endangered species are
      KNOWN to nest or are THOUGHT to rest. As far as I can tell, this
      map does not state which parcels of land are currently restricted,
      or will be restricted in terms of human use. There's a lot of
      yellow territory marked as "confirmed habitat", much of what already
      have roads and houses on them.

      The BCP people use data such as this to plan land acquisitions as
      part of the program. They need to know where the critical habitat
      is so that they concentrate the remaining funds for acquisition to
      the right areas.

      There's still a TON of areas within 60 miles of Austin that have
      little of no cache activity. I don't think we're being shoved in a
      small corner. We'll actually be gaining some additional park land
      in future:

      http://www.traviscountybonds.org/

      Robert

      <candylind@e...> wrote:

      > You know, I told Wayne we needed to check out why "The Moose is
      > Loose" is suddenly in an area marked off with Endangered Species
      > signs ... and now, after looking at this map and some others on
      the
      > Travis County maps page, I am VERY concerned about how much
      publicly-
      > accessible green space the HUMANS of Austin stand to lose in the
      next
      > several years, if our bureaucracies have anything to do with it.
      The
      > MAJORITY of Emma Long Park, and the MAJORITY of the Barton Creek
      > Greenbelt and Gus Fruh Park are marked with yellow background
      > (confirmed GCWarbler Habitat), black hatch lines (confirmed
      > karst/cave area), and green outlines that indicate proposed
      additions
      > to BCCP and/or Balcones Nat'l Wildlife Refuge land. Can anyone
      look
      > at these maps and tell me I'm misinterpreting them?
      >
      > Candy
      >
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent"
      <brbapb@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > The map in the link below shows that "Peckerhead" is located in
      > confirmed Golden-cheeked warbler habitat, but since they migrate
      > to Central America for the winter, it is possible (I have not
      > confirmed this!) that they may remove the warning signs during the
      > winter.
      > http://www.co.travis.tx.us/maps/bccp/BcpAustinWestQuad.pdf
      > Brent
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent"
      <brbapb@y...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > Could you get to Peckerhead without violating the endangered
      species
      > restricted areas? I didn't try because the logs implied that it
      was
      > in a controlled area.
      > +Chris
      >
      > If you go to it from the street instead of from the trail, you
      will
      > avoid the Endangered Species area. (Or at least the signs.)

    • Jay
      Message 46 of 46 , Jan 5, 2010
        Victor,

        I am fairly new to geocaching myself, I have yet to place a cache myself, but I have thought about doing so since I was introduced to this obsession even more so of late. So I have been interested to read what others have written about the process as well as the procedure. I just finished reading an article which reminded me of your questions and I thought that it might be informative for you.  The article is:  Elements of Style in Geocaching  which is found at geocacher-u.com under the geocaching 201 section. Perhaps some of the information in it will help you determine how to create the cache that you want to create.
        In fact geocacher-u has some very good information that I wish some one had pointed me to months ago.

        Jay / BingOGT