Austin Top Ten Favorites

  • Lou Catozzi
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      As it appears that Austin will be hosting a group of out-of-town
      GC'ers in the near future I thought it would be a good idea for us
      locals to each post a list of our ten favorite local geocaches. No
      rules, just a quick listing of your favorites along with a brief
      description or explanation as to why you like it.

      Here are my favorites (in alpha order):

      Barton Creek Waterfalls: Rating 2.5/2
      Located in the Barton Creek Greenbelt, BCW is located about halfway
      between two of the scenic waterfalls in the western portion of the
      greenbelt. It's about a 1.5 miles from the nearest official trailhead
      at Scottish Woods although there are closer approaches.

      Dubble Bubble: Rating 3.5/3
      Located in northwest Austin in a smaller, quiet greenbelt. I have
      enjoyed this cache more than any other I've helped place. I think it
      has the highest ratio of Not Found log entries of any Austin cache.

      Enchanted Forest: Rating 2.5/3
      An oldie but a goodie. A nice short hike in a quiet, out of the way
      park south of the river.

      KcKinney Roughs Tough Challenge: Rating 3/3
      A multi-cache spread out over a large area of this park located east
      of the Austin airport. You will need several hours to complete this
      one as the shortest path between the stages is about 5.5 miles.

      Pumpkin Princess' Lost Pines Challenge: Rating 4/3
      Another long multi-cache, this one in Bastrop State Park, east of
      Austin. I had to stretch a little to include this one on a list of
      Austin caches but I love Bastrop St. Park! You can spend hours
      wandering around under the towering pine trees! Several people have
      spent that much time and more seeking out PP's devilishly hidden first
      three stages!

      The Mystery on Hancock Hill: Rating 1/1
      One of the better virtual caches in the area. A little gem, tucked
      away in the middle of large and growing housing area.

      Travis Country Woods Cache: Rating 3.5/3.5
      Another nice cache in the western portion of the Barton Creek
      Greenbelt.

      UncleRojelio's Recycled Cache: Rating 2.5/3.5
      A new favorite of mine - I just visited it yesterday! One of the most
      scenic of all the Austin geocaches. Located in Emma Long City Park.

      Vista Pond: Rating 2/2
      Another greenbelt cache surrounded by suburbia. Don't forget to check
      out the pond itself, below the cache area.

      ZORK: Rating 3/2.5
      A multi-cache in Walnut Creek Park in northern Austin. This park
      features a maze of hiking and mountain bike trails. Don't get lost!

      Lou Catozzi
      TxHiPowr @ BigFoot.com
    • Rich Wendling
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
        I've only done a few Austin caches, so I'm not going to list as
        many. We did all of these with our kids. Curly Tiger was 3 1/2 and
        Miss Pumpkin was almost 6 at the time.

        A Penny for the View 2/1.5
        The view is worth a whole lot more than a penny.

        Austin History Virtual Cache 1/1 (virtual)
        One of the most unique virtuals I've ever done. Kinda freaked me out
        when I realized what is is.

        What Lies Beneath 2/1
        Once upon a cache......... 1/1
        Demise of a Dot Com 1/1
        A triple-header. What Lies Beneath has a cool hiding spot. Once
        Upon a Cache........ has a unique theme. Demise of a Dot Com is
        basically between the other two. Three caches in one area.

        There's A Bull In The Creek With A Green Belt 2.5/1.5
        A beautiful hike along a stream with waterfalls. We did it with a
        wagon for the kids, but it was a long, tough one. A large-wheeled
        jogger stroller would work a lot better.