RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Anyone doing Geocoins?

  • Grajek
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
      I bought 10, put them out and they got taken and never put in a cache
      again.

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
        Message
        How about your "Hugh Jazz"?
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
          Man Julie!! You beat me to the punch. That's exactly what I was
          going to suggest!!

          Alyson/gtbevo

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine Julie-
          ra5686" <julieperrine@f...> wrote:

          > How about your "Hugh Jazz"?
          > Julie

          Lowracer
          > Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 4:59 PM
          > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Anyone doing Geocoins?
          >

          > Yeah, I'm kinda thinking about doing a lowracer personal
          > geocoin,
          > using my headshot for the front and I'm not sure about what
          > put on
          > the back.
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "m771401"
          > <m771401@h...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer"
          > > <lowracer@c...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Who is collecting Geocoins?
          > > >
          > > > I held an outdoor caching event here in Wichita last
          night
          > (yes we
          > > > froze our "Hugh Jazzes" off thank you very much), and
          > Ladycacher came
          > > > up from Granbury to attend the event, along with her son
          > Austin and
          > > > her collection of 300 geocoins. I had no idea that there
          > were so many
          > > > different kinds of geocoins. Is anyone in Austin into
          > collecting
          > > > these? Just curious. Not that I'm collecting or
          anything.
          > I only
          > > > have three, the Texas Autumn 2005 Lost Maples coin and
          two
          > coins that
          > > > Ladycacher gave me.
          > > >
          > > > -mark
          > > > aka "lowracer"
          > > > aka "Hugh Jazz"
          > > >

          > > Geocoins are out of control.. > http://cointracking.com/

          web.

          subject=Unsub
          > scribe>

          > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Alex Alexander
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005

            >I've been caching for nearly two years and I've never even seen one.
            >Maybe not a Central Texas thing?
            >
            >Mike

            I recently produced the European Union geocoin and am currently
            working on the UK coin. I only sold a couple in Central Texas, must
            be a regional thing.

            Alex.
          • Lowracer
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
              Yeah but I think what's important to bear in mind is that the geocoin
              hobby has morphed into a coin *collecting* hobby rather than a
              caching/tracking travel-bug style hobby.

              You make a limited run of personal, serial-numbered geocoins, say 300
              or so, then you post the artwork on a caching forum, take orders, then
              sell them off, keeping a few dozen to trade with. Many coin
              originators don't even bother to make them trackable on the web
              anymore. For that you can deploy trackable wooden geo-nickels at a
              quarter a pop. Those should circulate better since they don't have
              the gee-whiz factor like the metal ones do. The rarer geocoins go on
              eBay for a premium. The personal geocoin can be thought of as a
              special class of signature item if that helps.

              I'm not a geocoin collector but I find the side-hobbies of geocaching
              that have sprung up just fascinating. FTF-races, coin collecting,
              icon collecting, the whole geo-woodstock culture, travel-bugging,
              benchmarking, signature item making/collecting, etc. It's amazing.

              -mark.

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
              wrote:

              > I bought 10, put them out and they got taken and never put in a cache
              > again.
            • grrlfrog71
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                OH MAN!! I just read Hugh's email and responded to him privately
                with the SAME COMMENT!!!!! It's a William Cannon thing...

                GyF

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine Julie-
                ra5686" <julieperrine@f...> wrote:

                > How about your "Hugh Jazz"?
                > Julie

                subject=Unsub
                > scribe>

                > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Mark Gessner
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                  What do you mean my "Hugh Jazz?" Like a Jazz instrument? Maybe some
                  nice bongo drums?
                  Or what... exactly? Send me some artwork, crude sketches, that sorta
                  thing.

                  I want to design a geocoin that will pull in $300 bids on eBay once I
                  get it done.

                  -mark.

                  On Nov 3, 2005, at 7:26 PM, grrlfrog71 wrote:

                  > OH MAN!! I just read Hugh's email and responded to him privately
                  > with the SAME COMMENT!!!!! It's a William Cannon thing...
                • G.O. Mental
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
                    lol, i think nearly everyone in this group had the same thought.  perhaps you could have 'hugh jazz' mooning everyone with his 'bongo drums'?

                    Mark Gessner wrote:
                    What do you mean my "Hugh Jazz?"  Like a Jazz instrument? Maybe some
                    nice bongo drums?
                    Or what... exactly?  Send me some artwork, crude sketches, that sorta
                    thing.

                    I want to design a geocoin that will pull in $300 bids on eBay once I
                    get it done.

                    -mark.

                    On Nov 3, 2005, at 7:26 PM, grrlfrog71 wrote:

                    OH MAN!!  I just read Hugh's email and responded to him privately
                    with the SAME COMMENT!!!!!  It's a William Cannon thing...

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

                  • Philip C. Mason
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
                      You could have a likeness of Wayne with his face covered with a bandana  just like in the Wanted: The Outlaw series with the Geocaching logo on it.

                      Philman