RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Anyone doing Geocoins?

  • Grajek
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
      I bought 10, put them out and they got taken and never put in a cache
      again.

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
        <lowracer@c...> wrote:

        > Who is collecting Geocoins?

        I've been caching for nearly two years and I've never even seen one.
        Maybe not a Central Texas thing?

        Mike
      • Perrine Julie-ra5686
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
          Message
          How about your "Hugh Jazz"?
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
            Man Julie!! You beat me to the punch. That's exactly what I was
            going to suggest!!

            Alyson/gtbevo

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine Julie-
            ra5686" <julieperrine@f...> wrote:

            > How about your "Hugh Jazz"?
            > Julie

            Lowracer
            > Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 4:59 PM
            > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Anyone doing Geocoins?
            >

            > Yeah, I'm kinda thinking about doing a lowracer personal
            > geocoin,
            > using my headshot for the front and I'm not sure about what
            > put on
            > the back.
            >
            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "m771401"
            > <m771401@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer"
            > > <lowracer@c...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Who is collecting Geocoins?
            > > >
            > > > I held an outdoor caching event here in Wichita last
            night
            > (yes we
            > > > froze our "Hugh Jazzes" off thank you very much), and
            > Ladycacher came
            > > > up from Granbury to attend the event, along with her son
            > Austin and
            > > > her collection of 300 geocoins. I had no idea that there
            > were so many
            > > > different kinds of geocoins. Is anyone in Austin into
            > collecting
            > > > these? Just curious. Not that I'm collecting or
            anything.
            > I only
            > > > have three, the Texas Autumn 2005 Lost Maples coin and
            two
            > coins that
            > > > Ladycacher gave me.
            > > >
            > > > -mark
            > > > aka "lowracer"
            > > > aka "Hugh Jazz"
            > > >

            > > Geocoins are out of control.. > http://cointracking.com/

            web.

            subject=Unsub
            > scribe>

            > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Alex Alexander
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005

              >I've been caching for nearly two years and I've never even seen one.
              >Maybe not a Central Texas thing?
              >
              >Mike

              I recently produced the European Union geocoin and am currently
              working on the UK coin. I only sold a couple in Central Texas, must
              be a regional thing.

              Alex.
            • Lowracer
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                Yeah but I think what's important to bear in mind is that the geocoin
                hobby has morphed into a coin *collecting* hobby rather than a
                caching/tracking travel-bug style hobby.

                You make a limited run of personal, serial-numbered geocoins, say 300
                or so, then you post the artwork on a caching forum, take orders, then
                sell them off, keeping a few dozen to trade with. Many coin
                originators don't even bother to make them trackable on the web
                anymore. For that you can deploy trackable wooden geo-nickels at a
                quarter a pop. Those should circulate better since they don't have
                the gee-whiz factor like the metal ones do. The rarer geocoins go on
                eBay for a premium. The personal geocoin can be thought of as a
                special class of signature item if that helps.

                I'm not a geocoin collector but I find the side-hobbies of geocaching
                that have sprung up just fascinating. FTF-races, coin collecting,
                icon collecting, the whole geo-woodstock culture, travel-bugging,
                benchmarking, signature item making/collecting, etc. It's amazing.

                -mark.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
                wrote:

                > I bought 10, put them out and they got taken and never put in a cache
                > again.
              • grrlfrog71
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                  OH MAN!! I just read Hugh's email and responded to him privately
                  with the SAME COMMENT!!!!! It's a William Cannon thing...

                  GyF

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine Julie-
                  ra5686" <julieperrine@f...> wrote:

                  > How about your "Hugh Jazz"?
                  > Julie

                  subject=Unsub
                  > scribe>

                  > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Mark Gessner
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                    What do you mean my "Hugh Jazz?" Like a Jazz instrument? Maybe some
                    nice bongo drums?
                    Or what... exactly? Send me some artwork, crude sketches, that sorta
                    thing.

                    I want to design a geocoin that will pull in $300 bids on eBay once I
                    get it done.

                    -mark.

                    On Nov 3, 2005, at 7:26 PM, grrlfrog71 wrote:

                    > OH MAN!! I just read Hugh's email and responded to him privately
                    > with the SAME COMMENT!!!!! It's a William Cannon thing...
                  • G.O. Mental
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
                      lol, i think nearly everyone in this group had the same thought.  perhaps you could have 'hugh jazz' mooning everyone with his 'bongo drums'?

                      Mark Gessner wrote:
                      What do you mean my "Hugh Jazz?"  Like a Jazz instrument? Maybe some
                      nice bongo drums?
                      Or what... exactly?  Send me some artwork, crude sketches, that sorta
                      thing.

                      I want to design a geocoin that will pull in $300 bids on eBay once I
                      get it done.

                      -mark.

                      On Nov 3, 2005, at 7:26 PM, grrlfrog71 wrote:

                      OH MAN!!  I just read Hugh's email and responded to him privately
                      with the SAME COMMENT!!!!!  It's a William Cannon thing...

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

                    • Philip C. Mason
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
                        You could have a likeness of Wayne with his face covered with a bandana  just like in the Wanted: The Outlaw series with the Geocaching logo on it.

                        Philman