RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Anyone doing Geocoins?

  • Grajek
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
      I bought 10, put them out and they got taken and never put in a cache
      again.

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
        Who is collecting Geocoins?

        I held an outdoor caching event here in Wichita last night (yes we
        froze our "Hugh Jazzes" off thank you very much), and Ladycacher came
        up from Granbury to attend the event, along with her son Austin and
        her collection of 300 geocoins. I had no idea that there were so many
        different kinds of geocoins. Is anyone in Austin into collecting
        these? Just curious. Not that I'm collecting or anything. I only
        have three, the Texas Autumn 2005 Lost Maples coin and two coins that
        Ladycacher gave me.

        -mark
        aka "lowracer"
        aka "Hugh Jazz"
      • m771401
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
          <lowracer@c...> wrote:

          > Who is collecting Geocoins?
          >
          > I held an outdoor caching event here in Wichita last night (yes we
          > froze our "Hugh Jazzes" off thank you very much), and Ladycacher came
          > up from Granbury to attend the event, along with her son Austin and
          > her collection of 300 geocoins. I had no idea that there were so many
          > different kinds of geocoins. Is anyone in Austin into collecting
          > these? Just curious. Not that I'm collecting or anything. I only
          > have three, the Texas Autumn 2005 Lost Maples coin and two coins that
          > Ladycacher gave me.
          >
          > -mark
          > aka "lowracer"
          > aka "Hugh Jazz"

          Geocoins are out of control.. > http://cointracking.com/
        • Lowracer
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
            Yeah, I'm kinda thinking about doing a lowracer personal geocoin,
            using my headshot for the front and I'm not sure about what to put on
            the back.

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "m771401"
            <m771401@h...> wrote:

            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer"
            > <lowracer@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Who is collecting Geocoins?
            > >
            > > I held an outdoor caching event here in Wichita last night (yes we
            > > froze our "Hugh Jazzes" off thank you very much), and Ladycacher came
            > > up from Granbury to attend the event, along with her son Austin and
            > > her collection of 300 geocoins. I had no idea that there were so many
            > > different kinds of geocoins. Is anyone in Austin into collecting
            > > these? Just curious. Not that I'm collecting or anything. I only
            > > have three, the Texas Autumn 2005 Lost Maples coin and two coins that
            > > Ladycacher gave me.
            > >
            > > -mark
            > > aka "lowracer"
            > > aka "Hugh Jazz"
            > >

            > Geocoins are out of control.. > http://cointracking.com/

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
              <lowracer@c...> wrote:

              > Who is collecting Geocoins?

              I've been caching for nearly two years and I've never even seen one.
              Maybe not a Central Texas thing?

              Mike
            • Perrine Julie-ra5686
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
                Message
                How about your "Hugh Jazz"?

                <m771401@h...> wrote:

                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer"
                > <lowracer@c...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Who is collecting Geocoins?
                > >
                > > I held an outdoor caching event here in Wichita last night (yes we
                > > froze our "Hugh Jazzes" off thank you very much), and Ladycacher came
                > > up from Granbury to attend the event, along with her son Austin and
                > > her collection of 300 geocoins.  I had no idea that there were so many
                > > different kinds of geocoins.  Is anyone in Austin into collecting
                > > these?  Just curious.  Not that I'm collecting or anything.  I only
                > > have three, the Texas Autumn 2005 Lost Maples coin and two coins that
                > > Ladycacher gave me.
                > >
                > > -mark
                > > aka "lowracer"
                > > aka "Hugh Jazz"
                > >

                > Geocoins are out of control.. > http://cointracking.com/

              • gtbevo2000
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Man Julie!! You beat me to the punch. That's exactly what I was
                  going to suggest!!

                  Alyson/gtbevo

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine Julie-
                  ra5686" <julieperrine@f...> wrote:

                  > How about your "Hugh Jazz"?
                  > Julie

                  Lowracer
                  > Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 4:59 PM
                  > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Anyone doing Geocoins?
                  >

                  > Yeah, I'm kinda thinking about doing a lowracer personal
                  > geocoin,
                  > using my headshot for the front and I'm not sure about what
                  > put on
                  > the back.
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "m771401"
                  > <m771401@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer"
                  > > <lowracer@c...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Who is collecting Geocoins?
                  > > >
                  > > > I held an outdoor caching event here in Wichita last
                  night
                  > (yes we
                  > > > froze our "Hugh Jazzes" off thank you very much), and
                  > Ladycacher came
                  > > > up from Granbury to attend the event, along with her son
                  > Austin and
                  > > > her collection of 300 geocoins. I had no idea that there
                  > were so many
                  > > > different kinds of geocoins. Is anyone in Austin into
                  > collecting
                  > > > these? Just curious. Not that I'm collecting or
                  anything.
                  > I only
                  > > > have three, the Texas Autumn 2005 Lost Maples coin and
                  two
                  > coins that
                  > > > Ladycacher gave me.
                  > > >
                  > > > -mark
                  > > > aka "lowracer"
                  > > > aka "Hugh Jazz"
                  > > >

                  > > Geocoins are out of control.. > http://cointracking.com/

                  web.

                  subject=Unsub
                  > scribe>

                  > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Alex Alexander
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005

                    >I've been caching for nearly two years and I've never even seen one.
                    >Maybe not a Central Texas thing?
                    >
                    >Mike

                    I recently produced the European Union geocoin and am currently
                    working on the UK coin. I only sold a couple in Central Texas, must
                    be a regional thing.

                    Alex.
                  • Lowracer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                      Yeah but I think what's important to bear in mind is that the geocoin
                      hobby has morphed into a coin *collecting* hobby rather than a
                      caching/tracking travel-bug style hobby.

                      You make a limited run of personal, serial-numbered geocoins, say 300
                      or so, then you post the artwork on a caching forum, take orders, then
                      sell them off, keeping a few dozen to trade with. Many coin
                      originators don't even bother to make them trackable on the web
                      anymore. For that you can deploy trackable wooden geo-nickels at a
                      quarter a pop. Those should circulate better since they don't have
                      the gee-whiz factor like the metal ones do. The rarer geocoins go on
                      eBay for a premium. The personal geocoin can be thought of as a
                      special class of signature item if that helps.

                      I'm not a geocoin collector but I find the side-hobbies of geocaching
                      that have sprung up just fascinating. FTF-races, coin collecting,
                      icon collecting, the whole geo-woodstock culture, travel-bugging,
                      benchmarking, signature item making/collecting, etc. It's amazing.

                      -mark.

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
                      wrote:

                      > I bought 10, put them out and they got taken and never put in a cache
                      > again.
                    • grrlfrog71
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                        OH MAN!! I just read Hugh's email and responded to him privately
                        with the SAME COMMENT!!!!! It's a William Cannon thing...

                        GyF

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine Julie-
                        ra5686" <julieperrine@f...> wrote:

                        > How about your "Hugh Jazz"?
                        > Julie

                        subject=Unsub
                        > scribe>

                        > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Mark Gessner
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                          What do you mean my "Hugh Jazz?" Like a Jazz instrument? Maybe some
                          nice bongo drums?
                          Or what... exactly? Send me some artwork, crude sketches, that sorta
                          thing.

                          I want to design a geocoin that will pull in $300 bids on eBay once I
                          get it done.

                          -mark.

                          On Nov 3, 2005, at 7:26 PM, grrlfrog71 wrote:

                          > OH MAN!! I just read Hugh's email and responded to him privately
                          > with the SAME COMMENT!!!!! It's a William Cannon thing...
                        • G.O. Mental
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
                            lol, i think nearly everyone in this group had the same thought.  perhaps you could have 'hugh jazz' mooning everyone with his 'bongo drums'?

                            Mark Gessner wrote:
                            What do you mean my "Hugh Jazz?"  Like a Jazz instrument? Maybe some
                            nice bongo drums?
                            Or what... exactly?  Send me some artwork, crude sketches, that sorta
                            thing.

                            I want to design a geocoin that will pull in $300 bids on eBay once I
                            get it done.

                            -mark.

                            On Nov 3, 2005, at 7:26 PM, grrlfrog71 wrote:

                            OH MAN!!  I just read Hugh's email and responded to him privately
                            with the SAME COMMENT!!!!!  It's a William Cannon thing...

                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

                          • Philip C. Mason
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
                              You could have a likeness of Wayne with his face covered with a bandana  just like in the Wanted: The Outlaw series with the Geocaching logo on it.

                              Philman