Re: Garmin iQue 3600

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
      Uh, OH! Julie's a tech-toy junkie! LOL

      Candy

      -- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Perrine Julie-ra5686
      <julieperrine@m...> wrote:
      > Did you all see the nice write up about the Garmin iQue 3600 in the
      business section of the American Statesman today. It had nothing but
      good things to say except that the rechargeable batteries would only
      last about 2 hours with the receiver turned on.

    • Perrine Julie-ra5686
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
        Gosh! I never would have thought I'd be called a name like Tech-Junkie! I'm a pretty low-tech gal. But wouldn't it be great not have to carry those printouts all over creation? And in one neat little unit, too! I told you when I returned my SportTrak Map that it'd have to be a pretty big leap in technology to get me away from my trusty Magellan 2000XL......

        > Did you all see the nice write up about the Garmin iQue 3600 in the
        business section of the American Statesman today. It had nothing but
        good things to say except that the rechargeable batteries would only
        last about 2 hours with the receiver turned on.

      • Alan Curry
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
          [This is just my opinion.] I've been reading about the iQue and to me it's just a PDA with a integrated GPSr. It's not rugged, waterproof/water resistant, and the battery life is just about as bad as it can get. So for geocaching, I wouldn't use this unit. I would probably just destroy it on my first outting. It would probably be best used for automobile navigation. Most hand held GPSrs are built to withstand some abuse. I'll admit that my SportTrak Pro has flown from the roof of my Jeep after I forgot I left it there. It survived with a few scratches. I don't think my Palm would have. I have recently started using my Palm to store cache pages. I use gpxspinner to create html pages and plucker to view them.

          Alan
          aka The Diver

          From: Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...>
          Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 06:51:27 -0700

          >Did you all see the nice write up about the Garmin iQue 3600 in the business section of the American Statesman today. It had nothing but good things to say except that the rechargeable batteries would only last about 2 hours with the receiver turned on.
          >

          >Has anyone had 1st hand experience with this system? Can you confirm that it will download waypoints and log notes from the website? Does that require extra software? Is having the combo in one unit convenient or annoying? Does it have all the functionality of a higher end GPS? What else should I find out about before I buy one?
          >

          >All opinions are invited!
          >
          >Julie (Mrs. Captain Picard)

        • Cindy
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
            Julie,

            I thought the same thing you did, that if you didn't have to carry all those pages around it would help. I needed a hand held for some other reasons, so it worked out that I got it and now use it to store my gc.com pages, with hints and all. I could have gotten a gpsr to go with it, but it was cost prohibitive for me, and I agree with Alan, it would not hold up to the abuse I would inflict when on the trails. I keep the handheld in a metal protective case and a soft leather one, and even though at times, it is a pain in the bum to get out and try to look something up, I have it, if I need it. I still carry the papers with me at times too, which is a good thing to be holding when in a high traffic area and looking for a cache, people just think you are reading and not paying attention to what is going on around you, when really you are looking around for a cache...

            Cindy aka Catalyst2003

            From: Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...>
            Date:  Fri, 1 Aug 2003 06:51:27 -0700

            >Did you all see the nice write up about the Garmin iQue 3600 in the business section of the American Statesman today.  It had nothing but good things to say except that the rechargeable batteries would only last about 2 hours with the receiver turned on.
            >

            >Has anyone had 1st hand experience with this system?  Can you confirm that it will download waypoints and log notes from the website?  Does that require extra software?  Is having the combo in one unit convenient or annoying?  Does it have all the functionality of a higher end GPS?  What else should I find out about before I buy one?
            >

            >All opinions are invited!
            >
            >Julie (Mrs. Captain Picard)

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            click here

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • Megindler@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
              If you drop it will it break?  Is it waterproof?