re: cache approval

  • Cindy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      Hemlock,

      As a geocacher in Texas, and more specifically, in the San Antonio area, I am concerned at your response to Cybercat regarding her cache she posted for approval:

      You stated "I don't like your attitude." because she gave reasons that the cache should be approved as a virtual, even if her choice of words were not the best.
      But your attitude could use some work too, with your comment of

      "Do I have to send one of my buddies down there to hide a cache and prove that it can be done?"

      Cybercat is a driving force of geocaching arena in San Antonio. I have been to many of her caches, virtual, traditional, multi, and micro, and she knows what she is doing when she says she wants it to be a virtual. Several of her micros are in very public places, and very well hidden. The examples you provided were great pictures, and if we all had digital cameras, and all the other gadgets that are available to geocachers that can afford them that would be great. We could all place micros, take the pictures, to give the finder a clue of what to look for, and post it. However, some of us are just hardworking folks who are computer savvy enough to get by, but we don't all work at Dell, or are network admins. As educators and retired educators, it is important for us to know that funds are limited, so even though you ideas (or the ideas of others that you shared) are good, but not feasible. Also, as educators, museums are a great place for a virtual, so even though, as you said, " Museums don't do it for me.", does that mean that your meter of what does it for you is the only one that counts?

      Why aren't Texas caches approved by people in our state? I have had 4 caches approved, all by 9key I believe, and two of those are virtuals, which could have possibly been micros. The reason I chose to keep them virtuals was so the people visiting there would learn something about the history of the area or structure. If they were micros, they may only look for the cache and not read the sign, or be so busy figuring out the puzzle (and puzzles don't do it for some people), that they don't pay attention to the content.

       Being fairly new to geocaching, I admit I am at a disadvantage in the area of expertise, but I was in CA this summer and did three caches there. One micro, one virtual and one traditional, and of these three caches, the virtual could have been a micro, the traditional was in an area marked with a sign designating it a dangerous area and had food in it and the micro was a good cache. So, should I offer to come show those folks how to hide a cache? no, I just posted politely that there was food in one and mentioned the sign.
      I understand grandfather clauses, and am sure that will apply to these three caches.

      If you are a cache approver, perhaps some people skills or writing skills should be studied, for you have offended many Texans. I began geocaching as a relaxing, fun, obsession, and as the months go on, I see there are politics that I would rather not deal with regarding caching, posting caches, etc, and I am very disappointed. The idea of a hobby, sport, or obsession as a way to relax and get away from politics at work was what drew me to geocaching in the first place.

      Catalyst2003

      Do you Yahoo!?