Re: OT: SUV ride-along

  • joanwhistler
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
      I'm in the SUV market too, but I haven't had any trouble finding
      them on lots. It's hard to find a manual transmission sometimes
      (which is what I want) but there are plenty of CRVs, RAV4s, and
      every other model at Classic Honda/Toyota in Round Rock and Jeeps at
      Champion on 183 & Lamar. Actually I have my eye on a Hyundai Tucson
      but haven't driven one yet. It gets better mileage than the others
      and is a little cheaper than everything I've looked at except the
      Rav4. Anyone have experience with a Tucson (or any other Hyundai)?

      Joan "UGoGirl"

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "grrlfrog71"
      <mlaverty@a...> wrote:
      > Thanks for everyone's feedback on the SUV's - I did check out the
      Ford
      > Escape on Friday night after reading your comments. As it turns
      out,
      > there are only 3 Escape Hybrids allocated to each Ford dealership
      this
      > year across the country, although I could order one and wait
      > forever....and I do have to add that it was a bit cost prohibitive
      for
      > me even though I love the idea of a Hybrid.
      >
      > I did get to test drive the 2006 CR-V on Saturday as ONE came off
      the
      > truck early Saturday morning. Nothing like being woken up by the
      > Honda salesman first thng in the
      morning....well....ok.....nevermind!
      > Hopefully this week there will be other SUV's delivered to Austin
      and
      > I can try out some of those too.
      >
      > Thanks again!
      > Mary Ann
    • Philip C. Mason
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
        Hello yall,

        The wife and I have a new Kia Sportage that we really like.
        Manual tranny, rear opens with door and opens with window.
        Cd, stereo....etc. Oh yeah, seats fold flat in the back. That I
        really liked about it. Lots of leg room in front passenger for my
        lanky a** legs, LOL!!!
        What else do you want to know?

        Phil

        <mlaverty@a...> wrote:
        > Thanks for everyone's feedback on the SUV's - I did check out the
        Ford
        > Escape on Friday night after reading your comments.  As it turns
        out,
        > there are only 3 Escape Hybrids allocated to each Ford dealership
        this
        > year across the country, although I could order one and wait
        > forever....and I do have to add that it was a bit cost prohibitive
        for
        > me even though I love the idea of a Hybrid.
        >
        > I did get to test drive the 2006 CR-V on Saturday as ONE came off
        the
        > truck early Saturday morning.  Nothing like being woken up by the
        > Honda salesman first thng in the
        morning....well....ok.....nevermind!
        > Hopefully this week there will be other SUV's delivered to Austin
        and
        > I can try out some of those too.
        >
        > Thanks again!
        > Mary Ann

      • Tony Fannin
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
          The only correct answer is what I drive, a Land Rover Defender 90. They are the perfect vehicle for getting into disaster areas. Oh, you wanted something that got decent gas milage? Forget my suggestion then. :) Here's a pic of our Land Rovers making our aid trip to Louisiana a couple weeks ago. Mine's on the right.

          http://www.nnin.net/gallery2/v/katrina/DSCN3676.jpg.html

          I'd also like to publicly thank those that donated goods for our trip. I know I thanked you all personally.

          For those that didn't see it, here's a full trip report. http://nnin.net/?p=348
        • alan@alancurry.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
            Don't listen to Tony. The REAL correct answer is what I drive, a Jeep
            Wrangler.

            :)

            Quoting Tony Fannin:

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
              Actually I wouldn't mind a Land Rover at all, but my budget says
              NO! Maybe next time! Now it's down to either a Toyota RAV4 or a
              Honda CRV.

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Tony Fannin
              <tfannin@g...> wrote:
              > The only correct answer is what I drive, a Land Rover Defender 90.
              They are
              > the perfect vehicle for getting into disaster areas. Oh, you wanted
              > something that got decent gas milage? Forget my suggestion
              then. :) Here's a
              > pic of our Land Rovers making our aid trip to Louisiana a couple
              weeks ago.
              > Mine's on the right.
              >
              > http://www.nnin.net/gallery2/v/katrina/DSCN3676.jpg.html
              >
              > I'd also like to publicly thank those that donated goods for our
              trip. I
              > know I thanked you all personally.
              >
              > For those that didn't see it, here's a full trip report.
              > http://nnin.net/?p=348
            • Tony Fannin
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
                On 10/4/05, alan@... <alan@...> wrote:
                Don't listen to Tony. The REAL correct answer is what I drive, a Jeep
                Wrangler.

                You should hook up with my club sometime to head up north to Barnwell Mountain for some good old-fashioned offroading. Us Landie owners won't look down on you too much. ;)

                Tony
                Team Bohica