OT: SUV ride-along

  • grrlfrog71
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
      Thanks for everyone's feedback on the SUV's - I did check out the Ford
      Escape on Friday night after reading your comments. As it turns out,
      there are only 3 Escape Hybrids allocated to each Ford dealership this
      year across the country, although I could order one and wait
      forever....and I do have to add that it was a bit cost prohibitive for
      me even though I love the idea of a Hybrid.

      I did get to test drive the 2006 CR-V on Saturday as ONE came off the
      truck early Saturday morning. Nothing like being woken up by the
      Honda salesman first thng in the morning....well....ok.....nevermind!
      Hopefully this week there will be other SUV's delivered to Austin and
      I can try out some of those too.

      Thanks again!
      Mary Ann
    • joanwhistler
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
        I'm in the SUV market too, but I haven't had any trouble finding
        them on lots. It's hard to find a manual transmission sometimes
        (which is what I want) but there are plenty of CRVs, RAV4s, and
        every other model at Classic Honda/Toyota in Round Rock and Jeeps at
        Champion on 183 & Lamar. Actually I have my eye on a Hyundai Tucson
        but haven't driven one yet. It gets better mileage than the others
        and is a little cheaper than everything I've looked at except the
        Rav4. Anyone have experience with a Tucson (or any other Hyundai)?

        Joan "UGoGirl"

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "grrlfrog71"
        <mlaverty@a...> wrote:
        > Thanks for everyone's feedback on the SUV's - I did check out the
        Ford
        > Escape on Friday night after reading your comments. As it turns
        out,
        > there are only 3 Escape Hybrids allocated to each Ford dealership
        this
        > year across the country, although I could order one and wait
        > forever....and I do have to add that it was a bit cost prohibitive
        for
        > me even though I love the idea of a Hybrid.
        >
        > I did get to test drive the 2006 CR-V on Saturday as ONE came off
        the
        > truck early Saturday morning. Nothing like being woken up by the
        > Honda salesman first thng in the
        morning....well....ok.....nevermind!
        > Hopefully this week there will be other SUV's delivered to Austin
        and
        > I can try out some of those too.
        >
        > Thanks again!
        > Mary Ann
      • Philip C. Mason
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
          Hello yall,

          The wife and I have a new Kia Sportage that we really like.
          Manual tranny, rear opens with door and opens with window.
          Cd, stereo....etc. Oh yeah, seats fold flat in the back. That I
          really liked about it. Lots of leg room in front passenger for my
          lanky a** legs, LOL!!!
          What else do you want to know?

          Phil

          <mlaverty@a...> wrote:
          > Thanks for everyone's feedback on the SUV's - I did check out the
          Ford
          > Escape on Friday night after reading your comments.  As it turns
          out,
          > there are only 3 Escape Hybrids allocated to each Ford dealership
          this
          > year across the country, although I could order one and wait
          > forever....and I do have to add that it was a bit cost prohibitive
          for
          > me even though I love the idea of a Hybrid.
          >
          > I did get to test drive the 2006 CR-V on Saturday as ONE came off
          the
          > truck early Saturday morning.  Nothing like being woken up by the
          > Honda salesman first thng in the
          morning....well....ok.....nevermind!
          > Hopefully this week there will be other SUV's delivered to Austin
          and
          > I can try out some of those too.
          >
          > Thanks again!
          > Mary Ann

        • Tony Fannin
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
            The only correct answer is what I drive, a Land Rover Defender 90. They are the perfect vehicle for getting into disaster areas. Oh, you wanted something that got decent gas milage? Forget my suggestion then. :) Here's a pic of our Land Rovers making our aid trip to Louisiana a couple weeks ago. Mine's on the right.

            http://www.nnin.net/gallery2/v/katrina/DSCN3676.jpg.html

            I'd also like to publicly thank those that donated goods for our trip. I know I thanked you all personally.

            For those that didn't see it, here's a full trip report. http://nnin.net/?p=348
          • alan@alancurry.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
              Don't listen to Tony. The REAL correct answer is what I drive, a Jeep
              Wrangler.

              :)

              Quoting Tony Fannin:

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
                Actually I wouldn't mind a Land Rover at all, but my budget says
                NO! Maybe next time! Now it's down to either a Toyota RAV4 or a
                Honda CRV.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Tony Fannin
                <tfannin@g...> wrote:
                > The only correct answer is what I drive, a Land Rover Defender 90.
                They are
                > the perfect vehicle for getting into disaster areas. Oh, you wanted
                > something that got decent gas milage? Forget my suggestion
                then. :) Here's a
                > pic of our Land Rovers making our aid trip to Louisiana a couple
                weeks ago.
                > Mine's on the right.
                >
                > http://www.nnin.net/gallery2/v/katrina/DSCN3676.jpg.html
                >
                > I'd also like to publicly thank those that donated goods for our
                trip. I
                > know I thanked you all personally.
                >
                > For those that didn't see it, here's a full trip report.
                > http://nnin.net/?p=348
              • Tony Fannin
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
                  On 10/4/05, alan@... <alan@...> wrote:
                  Don't listen to Tony. The REAL correct answer is what I drive, a Jeep
                  Wrangler.

                  You should hook up with my club sometime to head up north to Barnwell Mountain for some good old-fashioned offroading. Us Landie owners won't look down on you too much. ;)

                  Tony
                  Team Bohica