Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] OT: SUV Test Drive

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      I know I have MY eye on an Escape.... Explorer Lite, as it were, but it
      was a comfy drive (that's the '03, however)

      On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:21:22 -0700 (PDT) Paul Holland <hollapm@...>
      writes:
      > take a look at the Escape Hybrid... Great gas milage
      > and I think its a little larger than those two. You
      > can drive a standard escape to get a general idea (or
      > mercury mariner, they are also available in hybrid)
      > and btw Toyota makes the hybrid engine...
      >
      > --- grrlfrog71 <mlaverty@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Me again!!
      > >
      > > OK, in order to haul Hurricaches to New Orleans I
      > > have to buy an SUV.
      > > In order to buy an SUV in Austin, there has to be
      > > one on the lot.
      > > Well, at the moment there are NO SUV's on car lots
      > > in Austin because
      > > 1) they were bought up by the Katrina refugees who
      > > now reside in the
      > > State of Texas, and 2) they were put on freight
      > > trains from the
      > > Houston ports and moved "up North" so they wouldn't
      > > get hit by Rita.
      > >
      > > My question is this: Does anyone own a 2005 Toyota
      > > RAV-4 or a 2005
      > > Honda CR-V that I could "test drive" (donuts in the
      > > parking lot would
      > > work)? Then I will be able to decide if I can wait
      > > to buy either of
      > > these two cars, or decide on something else.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > Mary Ann

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      > --------------------~-->
      > home page
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

      I was born modest. Not all over, but in spots. --Mark Twain
      @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
      Consult your dragon before you wager his hide. --Melaine Rawn
    • Nick Silkey
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        I heard from someone was in the market for an Escape say that if the
        AC is on anything other than 'low', the gas gets hit pretty heavily
        and no real economy will be observed. EPA figures distributed on the
        Escape dont reflect AC use.

        I am not an auto engineer; thats just what I heard from an
        acquaintance who looked very, very hard at the Escape.

        On 9/30/05, Paul Holland <hollapm@...> wrote:
        > take a look at the Escape Hybrid... Great gas milage
        > and I think its a little larger than those two. You
        > can drive a standard escape to get a general idea (or
        > mercury mariner, they are also available in hybrid)
        > and btw Toyota makes the hybrid engine...
        >
        > --- grrlfrog71 <mlaverty@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Me again!!
        > >
        > > OK, in order to haul Hurricaches to New Orleans I
        > > have to buy an SUV.
        > > In order to buy an SUV in Austin, there has to be
        > > one on the lot.
        > > Well, at the moment there are NO SUV's on car lots
        > > in Austin because
        > > 1) they were bought up by the Katrina refugees who
        > > now reside in the
        > > State of Texas, and 2) they were put on freight
        > > trains from the
        > > Houston ports and moved "up North" so they wouldn't
        > > get hit by Rita.
        > >
        > > My question is this: Does anyone own a 2005 Toyota
        > > RAV-4 or a 2005
        > > Honda CR-V that I could "test drive" (donuts in the
        > > parking lot would
        > > work)? Then I will be able to decide if I can wait
        > > to buy either of
        > > these two cars, or decide on something else.
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > > Mary Ann

        Nick Silkey
        a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
        N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
      • mcslists
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
          Actually I own an 2004 Escape -- the regular not the Hybrid. I use the AC
          extensively during the summer on Max Cool (recirculating air) and get about
          18-21 miles per gallon (V6 engine and 4 wheel drive)

          I never thought I was an SUV person (I owned a 1991 Ford Mustang Convertible
          previous to the Escape) but I had one for a rental car when I flew into
          Austin one Thanksgiving while doing some consulting to drive to my sister's
          house on 290 outside of Houston. That one trip really changed my mind.

          It has been a GREAT car. I actually have the Limited package with leather
          seats and all the other bells and whistles. Still use it to go geocaching
          off road though and love it!!

          Monica

          Aka LSUMonica

          I heard from someone was in the market for an Escape say that if the
          AC is on anything other than 'low', the gas gets hit pretty heavily
          and no real economy will be observed. EPA figures distributed on the
          Escape dont reflect AC use.

          I am not an auto engineer; thats just what I heard from an
          acquaintance who looked very, very hard at the Escape.

          On 9/30/05, Paul Holland <hollapm@...> wrote:
          > take a look at the Escape Hybrid... Great gas milage
          > and I think its a little larger than those two. You
          > can drive a standard escape to get a general idea (or
          > mercury mariner, they are also available in hybrid)
          > and btw Toyota makes the hybrid engine...
          >
          > --- grrlfrog71 <mlaverty@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Me again!!
          > >
          > > OK, in order to haul Hurricaches to New Orleans I
          > > have to buy an SUV.
          > > In order to buy an SUV in Austin, there has to be
          > > one on the lot.
          > > Well, at the moment there are NO SUV's on car lots
          > > in Austin because
          > > 1) they were bought up by the Katrina refugees who
          > > now reside in the
          > > State of Texas, and 2) they were put on freight
          > > trains from the
          > > Houston ports and moved "up North" so they wouldn't
          > > get hit by Rita.
          > >
          > > My question is this: Does anyone own a 2005 Toyota
          > > RAV-4 or a 2005
          > > Honda CR-V that I could "test drive" (donuts in the
          > > parking lot would
          > > work)? Then I will be able to decide if I can wait
          > > to buy either of
          > > these two cars, or decide on something else.
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Mary Ann

          Nick Silkey
          a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'