Site investigation: comments welcome

  • austinalie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2005
      Hello,

      I talked to Inks Lake today about the availability and feasability of the challenge there on the weekend of March 25.  They have 127 water and electric sites, 45 water only sites, 20 cabins.  Some of these are booked in each category, so early reservations is important if we decide on this site.  We cannot reserve an area (first come first serve) and there is not a group area available to us.  There is no pavilion but an area where a large tent/tent could be set up near the playground area.  I do not know if they could provide any picnic tables for that area or not.  I don't remember seeing any of those extra from the campsites except over by the store/boat area.  No one could answer any questions about the hiding and finding of tokens or cache containers because the manager (Rick Myers) has been out of town helping with hurricane recovery.  I do know that there are quite a few geocaches in that park so it seems they are friendly to the idea.  The manager will be in tomorrow and if he still has Candy's number, will call her as she has already talked to him.  If not, I will try to contact him again if there is enough interest in this site.

      I also contacted Dondi Hines who coordinates events at the Canyon of the Eagles.  I have known her since she was a kid and didn't even think of this possiblility until someone mentioned it in here.  She is working up all the details for me and will email it to me.  This is what I know so far.  There is a large group campsite area that will hold about 200 people.  I believe this is primitive and has to be rented as a group.  There are 23 sites for RVs with water and electric that she said could also hold a tent or two in each site.  There are 10 primitive sites for tents only (4 double) that could hold 2 or 3 tents per site.  There is also a lodge on site as many groups have meetings there (as well as a restaurant and other facilities including the Vanishing River Cruise and an Observatory).  It is 940 acres in size.  It does not have a pavilion but large tent covers could be set up down by the beach area or in the group area, from what I understand.  There is one cache active in the park right now but I am not sure of the restrictions for hiding and finding caches.  She is going to check on that with the LCRA but said there are trails in the park and also some open areas including woods.  She said that the restaurant itself only holds 200 people but that they can cater or you can bring in a caterer for the food and there are picnic tables available that we can use for that also.  I think if we are going to have enough people, we might be able to get the whole park, but I am not sure about that yet.  I also do not know the cost of the group area or the individual campsites yet though I think some of that is on the website.   Dondi is going to send me all that information when she gets it worked up.  She knows that we are looking at several different sites.
      That is all I have.  Let me know if either of these sites is  not going to work and I will not pursue it any further.  Thanks.   Alice (libertylady)
    • Candy Lind
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2005
        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, austinalie@a... wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I talked to Inks Lake today ... The manager will be in tomorrow ...
        >
        > I also contacted Dondi Hines who coordinates events at the Canyon
        of the Eagles. I have known her since she was a kid and didn't even
        think of this possiblility until someone mentioned it in here. She
        is working up all the details for me and will email it to me. This
        is what I know so far ...

        > That is all I have. Let me know if either of these sites is not
        going to work and I will not pursue it any further. Thanks. Alice
        (libertylady)

        Inks is still our best bet. I hope Randy calls me tomorrow! I have a
        feeling that Canyon of the Eagles is going to be cost-prohibitive.
        Everyone keep your fingers crossed!!!

        Candy