Night Caches

  • Brent
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 16, 2005
      Hello there! Do any of you know of any night caches in the Austin area
      besides "Third Moon" and "Night Mission"? We have recently located
      those two and thoroughly enjoyed them and would like to do more, but
      they are the only two we know of. Any info will be appreciated.
      Thanks!

      Brent
      (BANDA)
    • Nick Silkey
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 17, 2005
        Other than those two, there is one out in Palmetto State Park.

        On 9/17/05, Brent <brbapb@...> wrote:
        > Hello there! Do any of you know of any night caches in the Austin area
        > besides "Third Moon" and "Night Mission"? We have recently located
        > those two and thoroughly enjoyed them and would like to do more, but
        > they are the only two we know of. Any info will be appreciated.
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Brent
        > (BANDA)

        Nick Silkey
        a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
        N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
      • Lowracer
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 17, 2005
          There were two night caches out in Steiner Ranch, and if you'll go out
          and remove all the reflectors, I'll let you post a smiley on each one.
          You'll need a phillips head screwdriver, probably best to bring a
          drill-powered one. Go out just before dusk and take a Steiner Ranch
          resident with you, there are a few on the yahoo group here. You might
          find it helpful to also have a track file from a cacher who's done
          either one before, as some of the reflectors may have gone missing. If
          more than one cacher goes out to pull the reflectors, I'll award one
          smiley for each, even if you've found these caches before. Night
          caches are more fun with several people anyway.

          Noctis Labyrinthus - GCGFMD - 2-3 mile hike, moderate.
          Proceed to the South trailhead from the posted coordinates.
          (couple reds, several ambers, couple more reds, amber, then another red)

          Night's Plutonian Shore - GCE4E0 - 1 mile hike, moderate/easy.
          Proceed to the North trailhead from the posted coordinates.
          (red, red, amber, amber, red, white)

          -mark.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <brbapb@y...>

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 17, 2005
            Uh, are you archieving these?  If not, why remove the reflectors?

            Russ aka waterweasel

            wrote:
            > Hello there! Do any of you know of any night caches in the Austin area
            > besides "Third Moon" and "Night Mission"? We have recently located
            > those two and thoroughly enjoyed them and would like to do more, but
            > they are the only two we know of. Any info will be appreciated.
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Brent
            > (BANDA)

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Lowracer
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 17, 2005
              These were archived awhile back. Moved out of town in a hurry and
              didn't have time to go out and pull the reflectors. They'll
              biodegrade naturally but it will take about 500-1000 years. By that
              time Steiner Ranch will be a wal-mart parking lot. Now's your chance
              to experience the natural beauty of steiner ranch at night.

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Russ Jernigan

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 17, 2005
                Ahh . .  .

                These were archived awhile back.  Moved out of town in a hurry and
                didn't have time to go out and pull the reflectors.  They'll
                biodegrade naturally but it will take about 500-1000 years.  By that
                time Steiner Ranch will be a wal-mart parking lot.  Now's your chance
                to experience the natural beauty of steiner ranch at night.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Russ Jernigan
                <waterweasel@s...> wrote:

                City park rental vacationCity park hotel sant justCentral texas college online
                Central texas college distance learningOutdoorsCity park hotel pelayo

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • Curtis Wyman
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 17, 2005
                  The Hoot and I are about to place a night cache up in the Round Rock area.  I am in desperate need of another person though (thus the delay).

                  This one will be a 1 or 1.5 terrain (probably in a large parking lot).  It should be very cool though.

                  Curtis (Stratman)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 18, 2005
                    Two questions: (1)Why would we need a Steiner Ranch resident to go
                    along, and (2)Would you be willing to let someone local adopt these
                    two?

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer"
                    <lowracer@c...> wrote:
                    > These were archived awhile back. Moved out of town in a hurry and
                    > didn't have time to go out and pull the reflectors. They'll
                    > biodegrade naturally but it will take about 500-1000 years. By that
                    > time Steiner Ranch will be a wal-mart parking lot. Now's your chance
                    > to experience the natural beauty of steiner ranch at night.
                    >
                    > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Russ Jernigan

                  • Brent
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 18, 2005
                      I live quite a distance from Round Rock but I've got some free time
                      and could probably help you if no-one closer volunteers.
                      Brent
                      (BANDA)

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Wyman"
                      <cwymanjr@a...> wrote:
                      > The Hoot and I are about to place a night cache up in the Round Rock
                      area.
                      > I am in desperate need of another person though (thus the delay).
                      >
                      > This one will be a 1 or 1.5 terrain (probably in a large parking
                      lot). It
                      > should be very cool though.

                    • Nick Silkey
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 18, 2005
                        Because Steiner is an exclusive, keep-out community. Guests must be
                        accompanied by a resident.

                        And lowracer archived all his caches for some reason (before my time) ...

                        HTH

                        On 9/18/05, Brent <brbapb@...> wrote:
                        > Two questions: (1)Why would we need a Steiner Ranch resident to go
                        > along, and (2)Would you be willing to let someone local adopt these
                        > two?
                        >
                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer"
                        > <lowracer@c...> wrote:
                        > > These were archived awhile back. Moved out of town in a hurry and
                        > > didn't have time to go out and pull the reflectors. They'll
                        > > biodegrade naturally but it will take about 500-1000 years. By that
                        > > time Steiner Ranch will be a wal-mart parking lot. Now's your chance
                        > > to experience the natural beauty of steiner ranch at night.
                        > >
                        > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Russ Jernigan
                        > > <waterweasel@s...> wrote:

                        Nick Silkey
                        a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                        N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
                      • Mark Gessner
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 18, 2005
                          1) steiner ranch rules require it
                          2) caching is not permitted on steiner ranch trails.

                          Those caches were archived a long time ago and the boxes pulled and deployed elsewhere.

                          <lowracer@c...> wrote:
                          > These were archived awhile back.  Moved out of town in a hurry and
                          > didn't have time to go out and pull the reflectors.  They'll
                          > biodegrade naturally but it will take about 500-1000 years.  By that
                          > time Steiner Ranch will be a wal-mart parking lot.  Now's your chance
                          > to experience the natural beauty of steiner ranch at night.
                          >
                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Russ Jernigan
                          > <waterweasel@s...> wrote:

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        • Brent
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 18, 2005
                            OK, well that answers that! Guess I'll have to find another spot if I
                            want to add to Austin's inventory of night caches. Thanks for the reply!

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Gessner

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 19, 2005
                              I and/or Barb would be happy to help.  We're not really available until next week, however.

                              Russ aka waterweasel

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 19, 2005
                                Looks like there might be some changes in the Steiner trails rules
                                comming. I clipped this article, but didn't get around to sharing it
                                with you guys until I saw this thread this morning.

                                http://tinyurl.com/e2v7x

                                BlazerMan

                                <lowracer@c...> wrote:
                                > 1) steiner ranch rules require it
                                > 2) caching is not permitted on steiner ranch trails.
                                >
                                > Those caches were archived a long time ago and the boxes pulled and
                                > deployed elsewhere.
                                >
                                > On Sep 18, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Brent wrote:
                                >
                                > > Two questions: (1)Why would we need a Steiner Ranch resident to go
                                > > along, and (2)Would you be willing to let someone local adopt these
                                > > two?
                              • Nick Silkey
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 19, 2005
                                  You know my number. Let me know via e-mail when youd like to get
                                  together, and I will see if my schedule permits. Anything to help get
                                  some more night caches up in ATX.

                                  --
                                  Nick Silkey
                                  a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 29, 2014
                                    I started caching many years ago and fell away for a variety of reasons.  I have recently taken it back up again; I introduced my gf to it and she LOVES it!  I mentioned how much I liked night caches and was wondering if the groups has any recommendations?

                                    I have fond memories of "Third Moon from Planet Essiada".... <sigh>

                                    Randell
                                    kyphosis