Charter Memberships

  • tlane3of6
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 19, 2002
      So what's the local feelings about the new optional fee's at
      Geocaching.com?

      Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
      maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
      shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
      any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.

      As a practical matter, we haven't lost anything. Jeremy has always
      said that we will 'never' have to PAY to PLAY and its still true. We
      can still do everything that we've become used to. (Although,
      unrelated to any fees I just realized that javascripts are disabled.
      Two months ago, I didn't even know what that was. If you had a
      chance to see "A Wee Bit of Fun" cache before, you know that I made
      a leapt and learned how to copy and paste javascripts.)

      If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
      maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
      lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months. I
      don't see us ever wanting to hide a cache for 'memebers only'.

      I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested in
      sharing your opinions?

      Tom
    • txhipowr
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
        I just mailed in my check yesterday. I have been wondering how long
        t-shirts, travel bugs, and donations was going to keep geocaching.com
        afloat. I know a lot of people seem to think that if they find
        something on the web that it's "free", but websites can be expensive
        to maintain, especially popular ones with high traffic and
        downloading of data. Jeremy has done a great job at keeping the site
        up and running and providing a steady stream of improvements and new
        features over time.

        Personally, I didn't need any "charter member" benefits to entice me
        to send in money. I get far more enjoyment and exercise geocaching
        than going to a movie at $7 a pop. Hell, I spend $30 a year on AA
        batteries and I don't even want to think what geocaching has done to
        my gasoline budget!

        I am also concerned about "member only" caches and hope that it
        doesn't come to that locally. Reading in the forums I see where other
        areas around the country have had problems with vandalism and
        malicious mischief directed at even well hidden caches, as if someone
        was purposely looking up caches in their area and going out and
        damaging them. Maybe "pay for view" caches will be the answer for
        that type of problem.

        Lou Catozzi
        TxHiPowr @ bigfoot.com

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...>
        wrote:
        > So what's the local feelings about the new optional fee's at
        > Geocaching.com?
        >
        > Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
        > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
        > shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
        > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
        >
        > As a practical matter, we haven't lost anything. Jeremy has always
        > said that we will 'never' have to PAY to PLAY and its still true.
        > We can still do everything that we've become used to. (Although,
        > unrelated to any fees I just realized that javascripts are
        disabled.

        > Two months ago, I didn't even know what that was. If you had a
        > chance to see "A Wee Bit of Fun" cache before, you know that I
        made
        > a leapt and learned how to copy and paste javascripts.)
        >
        > If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
        > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
        > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months.
        > don't see us ever wanting to hide a cache for 'memebers only'.
        >
        > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested
        > in sharing your opinions?
        >
        > Tom
      • Daniel McGauley
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
          Kim and I went ahead and paid the membership fee, mainly to support
          geocaching. If geocaching.com ever goes away or Jeremy doesn't think it's
          worth the headache to maintain it, it will be very hard for the sport to
          continue as successfully as it has been. I know they aren't providing many
          extra features right now, but if a lot of people pay the membership fee I'm
          sure Jeremy will have more resources to devote to developing new ideas. In
          theory I like the members-only caches. Kim and I are planning a large
          adventure-style cache for the fall (gotta love Halloween), that has a couple
          hundred dollars worth of effort thrown at it (you'll see), and we might want
          to just let members hunt for it to make sure only geocachers that are really
          into the sport go looking for it. However, if most of our geocaching
          friends aren't members we won't go that route. It's just nice to have an
          option to only hide caches for people who have paid money to be a member,
          thereby getting rid of some hunters who might have bad intentions. I doubt
          we'll ever use the members-only cache feature, but it's encouraging to see
          new features. I'd love to have a buddy-list on my geocache login page where
          I can have quick links to the Austin-regulars. If I want to see if
          Threelanes has passed 1000 finds yet, I have to hunt it down right now.
          Hopefully paying the membership fee will get these types of features coming
          quicker in the future. I spend about $20 a week in gas hunting for caches,
          so $30/year to support the site seemed small in comparison! -Dan, Kim, and
          Ryan
        • geocaching
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 21, 2002
            RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships

            I would gladly pay $30 a year to keep geocaching.com on the internet.  If I'm correct Jeremy works for an online clothing store and they are nice enough to use allow Jeremy access to their server.  The geocaching.com web site looks like it can not be hosted on one of those $20 a month plans.  It looks like he needs a dedicated server for the database and such.  This would cost any of us between $100-$500 a month!  Geocaching.com has proven to me that it is the king daddy of all geocaching sites.  If it goes bye-bye we might go bye-bye also.  I don't have a problem paying a small yearly fee to help keep something that I like and enjoy on the internet.  As we have all seen free web sites can only generate a small amount of money by advertising but they have to change their business plan to generate income or even stay online.

            Adamjrae and family

            wrote:
            > So what's the local feelings about the new optional fee's at
            > Geocaching.com?
            >
            > Personally, I have mixed feelings.  I understand that the cost to
            > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
            > shirt and hat sales.  On the other hand, I don't see
            > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
            >
            > As a practical matter, we haven't lost anything.  Jeremy has always
            > said that we will 'never' have to PAY to PLAY and its still true.
            > We can still do everything that we've become used to.  (Although,
            > unrelated to any fees I just realized that javascripts are
            disabled.

            > Two months ago, I didn't even know what that was.  If you had a
            > chance to see  "A Wee Bit of Fun" cache before, you know that I
            made
            > a leapt and learned how to copy and paste javascripts.)
            >
            > If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
            > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
            > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months.
            > don't see us ever wanting to hide a cache for 'memebers only'.
            >
            > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't.  Interested
            > in sharing your opinions?
            >
            > Tom

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Buy Stock for $4. No Minimums. FREE Money 2002. http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/YltolB/TM

          • candy8966
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4 9:08 AM
              geocaching <geocaching@a...> wrote:
              > I would gladly pay $30 a year to keep geocaching.com on the
              internet... The geocaching.com web
              > site looks like it can not be hosted on one of those $20 a month
              plans. It
              > looks like he needs a dedicated server for the database and such.
              This
              > would cost any of us between $100-$500 a month! ...
              > Adamjrae and family

              "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
              > Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
              > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
              > shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
              > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
              > ... If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
              > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
              > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months ...
              > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested
              > in sharing your opinions?

              My two cents is this ... I've become a Charter Member and Wayne most
              likely will, too, on the next paycheck ... $30 a year (plus
              tschotchkes of course) is FAR less than we pay for other
              entertainment such as softball ($30 per 8-game series, plus balls) or
              golf (anywhere from $17 to $50 a round) so we figure it is well worth
              it to support the site. Plus I'm getting excercise I wasn't getting
              and I'm not paying for some club membership ... you get my drift. Now
              if I can just keep my feet under me and quit "klutzing out" on 1-star
              difficulty caches, I should be just fine! ;-) (you had to be at
              Austin Geo-Hour to understand that ...)

              Candy aka Moosiegirl
            • Michele Pain
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4 11:10 AM
                Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships I have been reluctant to join because I'm cheap/broke. But...I've know I would since I've gotten well over $30 worth of entertainment value in the last 2 months! Where's teh original email that all of these refer to?
                Thanks
                Michele in Austin
                ----------
                From: candy8966 <candylind@...>
                To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships
                Date: Sat, May 4, 2002, 11:08 AM

                geocaching <geocaching@a...> wrote:
                > I would gladly pay $30 a year to keep geocaching.com on the
                internet...  The geocaching.com web
                > site looks like it can not be hosted on one of those $20 a month
                plans.  It
                > looks like he needs a dedicated server for the database and such.
                This
                > would cost any of us between $100-$500 a month! ...
                > Adamjrae and family

                "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
                > Personally, I have mixed feelings.  I understand that the cost to
                > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
                > shirt and hat sales.  On the other hand, I don't see
                > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
                > ... If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
                > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
                > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months ...
                > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't.  Interested
                > in sharing your opinions?

                My two cents is this ... I've become a Charter Member and Wayne most
                likely will, too, on the next paycheck ... $30 a year (plus
                tschotchkes of course) is FAR less than we pay for other
                entertainment such as softball ($30 per 8-game series, plus balls) or
                golf (anywhere from $17 to $50 a round) so we figure it is well worth
                it to support the site. Plus I'm getting excercise I wasn't getting
                and I'm not paying for some club membership ... you get my drift. Now
                if I can just keep my feet under me and quit "klutzing out" on 1-star
                difficulty caches, I should be just fine! ;-) (you had to be at
                Austin Geo-Hour to understand that ...)

                Candy aka Moosiegirl

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
                var lrec_URL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705171288:HM/A=1061772/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356"; var lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429b.swf"; var lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705171288:HM/A=1061772/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356"; var lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429.gif"; var lrec_width=300; var lrec_height=250;

              • txhipowr
                Message 7 of 10 , May 9 7:12 AM
                  Michele,

                  You can view all the meesages from Central Texas Geocachers at:

                  You might need to set up a free account with yahoo to get into the
                  archive area.

                  Lou Catozzi
                  TxHiPowr

                • stillfindingthings <stylie@maclaunch.com>
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
                    > So what's the local feelings about the new optional fee's at
                    > Geocaching.com?
                    >
                    > Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
                    > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
                    > shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
                    > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
                    >
                    > As a practical matter, we haven't lost anything. Jeremy has always
                    > said that we will 'never' have to PAY to PLAY and its still true. We
                    > can still do everything that we've become used to. (Although,
                    > unrelated to any fees I just realized that javascripts are disabled.
                    > Two months ago, I didn't even know what that was. If you had a
                    > chance to see "A Wee Bit of Fun" cache before, you know that I made
                    > a leapt and learned how to copy and paste javascripts.)
                    >
                    > If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
                    > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
                    > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months. I
                    > don't see us ever wanting to hide a cache for 'memebers only'.
                    >
                    > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested in
                    > sharing your opinions?
                    >
                    > Tom

                    Hello All,
                    Wow, I just figured out what this post was about. (I'm a little slow). I went to research caches in Minnesota for an upcoming summer trip, and I ran into a members only cache. In fact, 2 of the 4 caches I was interested in were members only.
                    I have always been a strong advocate of free information on the internet and I seem to run into the "pay for", and "register for", sites more and more often. I don't think its bad, I guess, I just harken back to a time when web sites were more or less a labor of love, and information was a little more distributed across a wide variety of sites. Web sites seem to give information away for a while, then they get big, and next thing you know its get out the check book. Look at Google and how its growing, its everywhere..are there any other search engines? ;-) Anyway, I offer that a person who hides cache might cross post the location to other DB sites like Navicache or post to the public usenet. Folks who only want select, "willing to pay" geocache visitors, of course have that option. I certainly felt a small sting of being excluded when I tried to look at those coordinates in MN. I dont know, I'm probably whining. (SUAG)(Shut up and Geocache).
                    One final thought, I think the comment on the sales pitch and sign up page is a little interesting..
                    The site say's we will never charge you to go Geocaching, yet by charging for the coordinates to the cache isn't the site charging people to go?

                    Dogger
                    (Getting out his checkbook)

                    P.S. Loved the Mckinney Roughs multicache, thanks for the tip at the happy hour back at La Feria.
                    P.P.S I miss ole Roxbob's Austin Challenge's
                  • Grajek
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
                      Hello,
                      I am new to the sport and the mailing list. I like the idea of the
                      optional fees but do not like the "Members Only Caches." I will send my
                      money, but as a matter of principle will not participate in the members
                      only caches. I agree with Dogger Information should be free. I
                      understand the need for money and even the extra little perks you can
                      get with a monthly subscription to attract people (Like the Icon next to
                      your name), but not Memebers Only Caches.

                      Nice to meet everyone. Thanks to everyone that have taken the time to
                      email me with suggestions and guidance in the new sport.

                      Thanks
                      Grajek

> [...]

                      location to other DB sites like Navicache or post to the public usenet.
                      Folks who only want select, "willing to pay" geocache visitors, of
                      course have that option. I certainly felt a small sting of being
                      excluded when I tried to look at those coordinates in MN. I dont know,
                      I'm probably whining. (SUAG)(Shut up and Geocache).
                      One final thought, I think the comment on the sales pitch and sign up
                      page is a little interesting..
                      The site say's we will never charge you to go Geocaching, yet by
                      charging for the coordinates to the cache isn't the site charging people
                      to go?

                      Dogger
                      (Getting out his checkbook)

                      P.S. Loved the Mckinney Roughs multicache, thanks for the tip at the
                      happy hour back at La Feria.
                      P.P.S I miss ole Roxbob's Austin Challenge's

                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Lou Catozzi
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
                        Hi Grajek,

                        Welcome aboard. Where are you based out of? I have noticed that the
                        only Members Only cache within 100 miles of Austin is located in
                        Hempstead, TX. It doesn't as if the local charter members (myself
                        included) think much of the idea either. We really haven't had much call
                        for that locally.

                        Lou Catozzi
                        AKA TxHiPowr