Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Katrina has affected our Geocaching Colleagues

  • Lary Cotten
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2005
      This is a forward from my neighborhood today:

      Here's some of the latest info on volunteer efforts in
      Austin. The volumn of donated items is OVERWHELMING,
      and volunteers ARE NEEDED, and will continue to be
      needed to sort. However, there are conflicting
      messages. The city website says no new volunteers are
      being accepted at Freescale Semiconductor's Ed
      Bluestein site (formerly Motorola), but that's
      incorrect. They are too full to accept any more
      donations, but they desparately need the stuff sorted.
      At the close of operations on Monday, Sept 5, they
      said they'd still need volunteers all week. I called
      211, and they said volunteers are needed 8am-8pm
      Mon-Fri.

      On Tuesday, September 6, 2005, at 09:58 PM, mrscaptainpicard wrote:

      > I have a Game Boy Color, complete with a game that I cleaned out of my
      > daughter's room after she moved out and it was going into a geocache
      > with all the rest of her "junk".  (Watch for a new cache soon, and if
      > she isn't FTF, she'll be sorry!)
      >
      > But I'm going to rescue it and donate it to the boys.
      >
      > Julie

      <image.tiff>

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > +  Visit your group "CentralTexasGeocachers" on the web.

      <image.tiff>

    • Alex Alexander
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
        I'm sure being holed up in Houston with a couple of kids is going to
        be difficult.

        Does anyone have an old GPSR that they could donate? Getting the
        boys out geocaching would be great for the family I'm sure.

        Alex - Slytherin
      • Dick Young
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
          Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area tomorrow.
          If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might like
          to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
          Cache on,
          Dick
        • grrlfrog71
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
            They are in Friendswood, TX. There are 5 cachers who contacted me
            directly with items they would like to give - I'd like to get all this
            stuff together to bring as well. Not sure we can get it all together
            tonight. When will you go to Houston again?

            Also, I forgot to mention that the Dad told me he had loaded caches he
            was ready to hide and now they have been destroyed. Does anyone have
            a couple ammo cans and some notpads? I have tons of swag to put in a
            few caches as well as some micro caches. He and the boys could hide
            them while in Houston. He is devastated that the 16 caches he hid in
            the New Orleans area are most likely gone.

            You guys are the best! Thanks!
            Mary Ann aka Grrlfrog

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
            <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
            > Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area
            tomorrow.
            > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might
            like
            > to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
            > Cache on,
            > Dick
          • Karen
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
              Nurses are NEEDED downtown at the medical clinic they have set up for Evacuees.  I don't know who to contact but I heard directly from one of the Doctors who is in charge that they are very short on nurses and data entry clerks.  Aparently there are more than enogh Doctors.
[...]

              +  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

              +  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .

              <image.tiff>

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:11:17 -0000 "grrlfrog71" <mlaverty@...>
                writes:
                > They are in Friendswood, TX. There are 5 cachers who contacted me
                > directly with items they would like to give - I'd like to get all
                > this
                > stuff together to bring as well. Not sure we can get it all
                > together
                > tonight. When will you go to Houston again?
                >
                > Also, I forgot to mention that the Dad told me he had loaded caches
                > he
                > was ready to hide and now they have been destroyed. Does anyone
                > have
                > a couple ammo cans and some notpads? I have tons of swag to put in
                > few caches as well as some micro caches. He and the boys could hide
                >
                > them while in Houston. He is devastated that the 16 caches he hid
                > in
                > the New Orleans area are most likely gone.

                Remind him that the caching community IS a community.... we'll all pitch
                in to get things caching again. We're THAT Way.
                No Ammo cans, but I'll bundle up some swag, too.

                BTW, we know the kids' needs by extrapolation -- what about the parents?
                Sizes? Reading habits?

                > You guys are the best! Thanks!
                > Mary Ann aka Grrlfrog
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                > <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                > > Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area
                > tomorrow.
                > > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might
                >
                > like
                > > to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
                > > Cache on,
                > > Dick

                > --------------------~-->
                > home page
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

                You don't have to be a genius. You just have to be smarter than the
                problem. --Al Hartley's Great Grandmother
                @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                The past always looks better than it was. It's only pleasant because it
                isn't here. --Finley Peter Dunne
              • Karen
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                  I plan on going to the Friendswood area soon myself.  I will ask my 14 yr old son for things he is willing to part with.

                  <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                  > Is this family in Houston?  I am going to the Houston area
                  tomorrow.
                  > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy.  Who else might
                  like
                  > to contribute to the cause?    Let us get this project going!
                  > Cache on,
                  > Dick

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                    I have 3 or 4 ammo cans if you want them.

                    <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                    > Is this family in Houston?  I am going to the Houston area
                    tomorrow.
                    > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy.  Who else might
                    like
                    > to contribute to the cause?    Let us get this project going!
                    > Cache on,
                    > Dick

                    Bill Hatfield

                    "Eh Firpibus Unum"