Re: Katrina has affected our Geocaching Colleagues

  • mrscaptainpicard
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6 7:58 PM
      I have a Game Boy Color, complete with a game that I cleaned out of my
      daughter's room after she moved out and it was going into a geocache
      with all the rest of her "junk". (Watch for a new cache soon, and if
      she isn't FTF, she'll be sorry!)

      But I'm going to rescue it and donate it to the boys.

      Julie
    • Lary Cotten
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6 8:28 PM
        This is a forward from my neighborhood today:

        Here's some of the latest info on volunteer efforts in
        Austin. The volumn of donated items is OVERWHELMING,
        and volunteers ARE NEEDED, and will continue to be
        needed to sort. However, there are conflicting
        messages. The city website says no new volunteers are
        being accepted at Freescale Semiconductor's Ed
        Bluestein site (formerly Motorola), but that's
        incorrect. They are too full to accept any more
        donations, but they desparately need the stuff sorted.
        At the close of operations on Monday, Sept 5, they
        said they'd still need volunteers all week. I called
        211, and they said volunteers are needed 8am-8pm
        Mon-Fri.

        On Tuesday, September 6, 2005, at 09:58 PM, mrscaptainpicard wrote:

        > I have a Game Boy Color, complete with a game that I cleaned out of my
        > daughter's room after she moved out and it was going into a geocache
        > with all the rest of her "junk".  (Watch for a new cache soon, and if
        > she isn't FTF, she'll be sorry!)
        >
        > But I'm going to rescue it and donate it to the boys.
        >
        > Julie

        <image.tiff>

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > +  Visit your group "CentralTexasGeocachers" on the web.

        <image.tiff>

      • Alex Alexander
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7 12:45 AM
          I'm sure being holed up in Houston with a couple of kids is going to
          be difficult.

          Does anyone have an old GPSR that they could donate? Getting the
          boys out geocaching would be great for the family I'm sure.

          Alex - Slytherin
        • Dick Young
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7 6:17 AM
            Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area tomorrow.
            If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might like
            to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
            Cache on,
            Dick
          • grrlfrog71
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7 7:11 AM
              They are in Friendswood, TX. There are 5 cachers who contacted me
              directly with items they would like to give - I'd like to get all this
              stuff together to bring as well. Not sure we can get it all together
              tonight. When will you go to Houston again?

              Also, I forgot to mention that the Dad told me he had loaded caches he
              was ready to hide and now they have been destroyed. Does anyone have
              a couple ammo cans and some notpads? I have tons of swag to put in a
              few caches as well as some micro caches. He and the boys could hide
              them while in Houston. He is devastated that the 16 caches he hid in
              the New Orleans area are most likely gone.

              You guys are the best! Thanks!
              Mary Ann aka Grrlfrog

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
              <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
              > Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area
              tomorrow.
              > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might
              like
              > to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
              > Cache on,
              > Dick
            • Karen
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7 7:15 AM
                Nurses are NEEDED downtown at the medical clinic they have set up for Evacuees.  I don't know who to contact but I heard directly from one of the Doctors who is in charge that they are very short on nurses and data entry clerks.  Aparently there are more than enogh Doctors.
[...]

                +  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                +  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                <image.tiff>

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7 7:16 AM
                  On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:11:17 -0000 "grrlfrog71" <mlaverty@...>
                  writes:
                  > They are in Friendswood, TX. There are 5 cachers who contacted me
                  > directly with items they would like to give - I'd like to get all
                  > this
                  > stuff together to bring as well. Not sure we can get it all
                  > together
                  > tonight. When will you go to Houston again?
                  >
                  > Also, I forgot to mention that the Dad told me he had loaded caches
                  > he
                  > was ready to hide and now they have been destroyed. Does anyone
                  > have
                  > a couple ammo cans and some notpads? I have tons of swag to put in
                  > few caches as well as some micro caches. He and the boys could hide
                  >
                  > them while in Houston. He is devastated that the 16 caches he hid
                  > in
                  > the New Orleans area are most likely gone.

                  Remind him that the caching community IS a community.... we'll all pitch
                  in to get things caching again. We're THAT Way.
                  No Ammo cans, but I'll bundle up some swag, too.

                  BTW, we know the kids' needs by extrapolation -- what about the parents?
                  Sizes? Reading habits?

                  > You guys are the best! Thanks!
                  > Mary Ann aka Grrlfrog
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                  > <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                  > > Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area
                  > tomorrow.
                  > > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might
                  >
                  > like
                  > > to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
                  > > Cache on,
                  > > Dick

                  > --------------------~-->
                  > home page
                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

                  You don't have to be a genius. You just have to be smarter than the
                  problem. --Al Hartley's Great Grandmother
                  @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                  The past always looks better than it was. It's only pleasant because it
                  isn't here. --Finley Peter Dunne
                • Karen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7 7:16 AM
                    I plan on going to the Friendswood area soon myself.  I will ask my 14 yr old son for things he is willing to part with.

                    <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                    > Is this family in Houston?  I am going to the Houston area
                    tomorrow.
                    > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy.  Who else might
                    like
                    > to contribute to the cause?    Let us get this project going!
                    > Cache on,
                    > Dick

                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 7 7:29 AM
                      I have 3 or 4 ammo cans if you want them.

                      <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                      > Is this family in Houston?  I am going to the Houston area
                      tomorrow.
                      > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy.  Who else might
                      like
                      > to contribute to the cause?    Let us get this project going!
                      > Cache on,
                      > Dick

                      Bill Hatfield

                      "Eh Firpibus Unum"