Re: Katrina has affected our Geocaching Colleagues

  • Dick Young
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2005
      Thanks for taking the initative to contact these folks. With time
      they will rebuild but time passes so slowly rebuilding from ground
      zero.
      With 382 members in this yahoo group we could probably raise enough
      to purchase two bicycles/gift cards for those boys. I'm in, for $40,
      and will arrange the shipping if that is what we choose to do.

      Who else?

      Cache on,
      Dick
      aka Blizzard
    • mrscaptainpicard
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2005
        I have a Game Boy Color, complete with a game that I cleaned out of my
        daughter's room after she moved out and it was going into a geocache
        with all the rest of her "junk". (Watch for a new cache soon, and if
        she isn't FTF, she'll be sorry!)

        But I'm going to rescue it and donate it to the boys.

        Julie
      • Lary Cotten
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2005
          This is a forward from my neighborhood today:

          Here's some of the latest info on volunteer efforts in
          Austin. The volumn of donated items is OVERWHELMING,
          and volunteers ARE NEEDED, and will continue to be
          needed to sort. However, there are conflicting
          messages. The city website says no new volunteers are
          being accepted at Freescale Semiconductor's Ed
          Bluestein site (formerly Motorola), but that's
          incorrect. They are too full to accept any more
          donations, but they desparately need the stuff sorted.
          At the close of operations on Monday, Sept 5, they
          said they'd still need volunteers all week. I called
          211, and they said volunteers are needed 8am-8pm
          Mon-Fri.

          On Tuesday, September 6, 2005, at 09:58 PM, mrscaptainpicard wrote:

          > I have a Game Boy Color, complete with a game that I cleaned out of my
          > daughter's room after she moved out and it was going into a geocache
          > with all the rest of her "junk".  (Watch for a new cache soon, and if
          > she isn't FTF, she'll be sorry!)
          >
          > But I'm going to rescue it and donate it to the boys.
          >
          > Julie

          <image.tiff>

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > +  Visit your group "CentralTexasGeocachers" on the web.

          <image.tiff>

        • Alex Alexander
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
            I'm sure being holed up in Houston with a couple of kids is going to
            be difficult.

            Does anyone have an old GPSR that they could donate? Getting the
            boys out geocaching would be great for the family I'm sure.

            Alex - Slytherin
          • Dick Young
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
              Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area tomorrow.
              If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might like
              to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
              Cache on,
              Dick
            • grrlfrog71
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                They are in Friendswood, TX. There are 5 cachers who contacted me
                directly with items they would like to give - I'd like to get all this
                stuff together to bring as well. Not sure we can get it all together
                tonight. When will you go to Houston again?

                Also, I forgot to mention that the Dad told me he had loaded caches he
                was ready to hide and now they have been destroyed. Does anyone have
                a couple ammo cans and some notpads? I have tons of swag to put in a
                few caches as well as some micro caches. He and the boys could hide
                them while in Houston. He is devastated that the 16 caches he hid in
                the New Orleans area are most likely gone.

                You guys are the best! Thanks!
                Mary Ann aka Grrlfrog

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                > Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area
                tomorrow.
                > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might
                like
                > to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
                > Cache on,
                > Dick
              • Karen
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                  Nurses are NEEDED downtown at the medical clinic they have set up for Evacuees.  I don't know who to contact but I heard directly from one of the Doctors who is in charge that they are very short on nurses and data entry clerks.  Aparently there are more than enogh Doctors.
[...]

                  +  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                  +  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                  <image.tiff>

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:11:17 -0000 "grrlfrog71" <mlaverty@...>
                    writes:
                    > They are in Friendswood, TX. There are 5 cachers who contacted me
                    > directly with items they would like to give - I'd like to get all
                    > this
                    > stuff together to bring as well. Not sure we can get it all
                    > together
                    > tonight. When will you go to Houston again?
                    >
                    > Also, I forgot to mention that the Dad told me he had loaded caches
                    > he
                    > was ready to hide and now they have been destroyed. Does anyone
                    > have
                    > a couple ammo cans and some notpads? I have tons of swag to put in
                    > few caches as well as some micro caches. He and the boys could hide
                    >
                    > them while in Houston. He is devastated that the 16 caches he hid
                    > in
                    > the New Orleans area are most likely gone.

                    Remind him that the caching community IS a community.... we'll all pitch
                    in to get things caching again. We're THAT Way.
                    No Ammo cans, but I'll bundle up some swag, too.

                    BTW, we know the kids' needs by extrapolation -- what about the parents?
                    Sizes? Reading habits?

                    > You guys are the best! Thanks!
                    > Mary Ann aka Grrlfrog
                    >
                    > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                    > <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                    > > Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area
                    > tomorrow.
                    > > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might
                    >
                    > like
                    > > to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
                    > > Cache on,
                    > > Dick

                    > --------------------~-->
                    > home page
                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

                    You don't have to be a genius. You just have to be smarter than the
                    problem. --Al Hartley's Great Grandmother
                    @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                    The past always looks better than it was. It's only pleasant because it
                    isn't here. --Finley Peter Dunne
                  • Karen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                      I plan on going to the Friendswood area soon myself.  I will ask my 14 yr old son for things he is willing to part with.

                      <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                      > Is this family in Houston?  I am going to the Houston area
                      tomorrow.
                      > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy.  Who else might
                      like
                      > to contribute to the cause?    Let us get this project going!
                      > Cache on,
                      > Dick

                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                        I have 3 or 4 ammo cans if you want them.

                        <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                        > Is this family in Houston?  I am going to the Houston area
                        tomorrow.
                        > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy.  Who else might
                        like
                        > to contribute to the cause?    Let us get this project going!
                        > Cache on,
                        > Dick

                        Bill Hatfield

                        "Eh Firpibus Unum"