Katrina has affected our Geocaching Colleagues

  • grrlfrog71
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      This past weekend I tried several times to volunteer my time to help
      the evacuees in Austin but the Red Cross is just flooded with
      volunteers right now. I have been pretty frustrated and tried to
      think of a way I could help someone.

      Today it occurred to me that many of our coastal geocaching
      colleagues were most likely affected by the storm. So that I could
      feel useful, I sent over 100 email messages to folks that placed
      caches in the affected areas. I asked if they were okay and let
      them know that the Cen-Tex Geocachers were thinking of them and
      asked if they needed anything. I have had many responses, obviously
      all from people who are safe. They told me stories of their
      evacuation and the great amounts of damage they are dealing with.

      I must admit there was only one heartbreaking story. A fellow
      cacher in New Orleans replied to me and said that he and his family
      have lost everything. While he and his wife are devasted, they know
      that escaping with their lives is what matters most. However, he
      has two young sons ages 6 & 10 who have also lost everything - and
      of course children have a different perspective about what this
      means.

      If anyone on this group wishes to donate anything to the cause, I
      think I would like to put together a care package for the boys -
      clothes, toys, whatever might make little boys smile again. I know
      we have a lot of families in this group who may have a few extra
      items laying around the house. I never thought I would say this,
      but I believe this would be a useful time for McToys! They are
      currently staying with family in Houston - we can either ship or
      road-trip it.

      Below is an exceprt from his email to me:

      "Many thanks for your kind words, it really does mean more to me
      then anything. I know that doesn't seem to be realistic, but funny
      losing everything and the most important thing is the people showing
      that they care. I do have two sons a 10 yr old and a 6 yr old.
      That is harder on me then anything, my stuff I dont care about
      really, but they also lost everything, they look for their bikes and
      toys, and it is really hard for them to understand that they too
      have lost everthing. I would never ask you for anything, but would
      also never stop you from making my kids smile a little bit. No
      matter what, I want you to know you have already brought a smile to
      my face, just knowing you care."

      I won't post about this again; I know better than anyone that I need
      a break from all this Hurricane stuff. But, if you want to help
      out, please email me directly.

      Thanks everyone, maybe we can make a difference for just one family.

      Grrlfrog & CacheChow
      grrlfrog71 at yahoo dot com
    • Dick Young
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2005
        Thanks for taking the initative to contact these folks. With time
        they will rebuild but time passes so slowly rebuilding from ground
        zero.
        With 382 members in this yahoo group we could probably raise enough
        to purchase two bicycles/gift cards for those boys. I'm in, for $40,
        and will arrange the shipping if that is what we choose to do.

        Who else?

        Cache on,
        Dick
        aka Blizzard
      • mrscaptainpicard
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2005
          I have a Game Boy Color, complete with a game that I cleaned out of my
          daughter's room after she moved out and it was going into a geocache
          with all the rest of her "junk". (Watch for a new cache soon, and if
          she isn't FTF, she'll be sorry!)

          But I'm going to rescue it and donate it to the boys.

          Julie
        • Lary Cotten
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2005
            This is a forward from my neighborhood today:

            Here's some of the latest info on volunteer efforts in
            Austin. The volumn of donated items is OVERWHELMING,
            and volunteers ARE NEEDED, and will continue to be
            needed to sort. However, there are conflicting
            messages. The city website says no new volunteers are
            being accepted at Freescale Semiconductor's Ed
            Bluestein site (formerly Motorola), but that's
            incorrect. They are too full to accept any more
            donations, but they desparately need the stuff sorted.
            At the close of operations on Monday, Sept 5, they
            said they'd still need volunteers all week. I called
            211, and they said volunteers are needed 8am-8pm
            Mon-Fri.

            On Tuesday, September 6, 2005, at 09:58 PM, mrscaptainpicard wrote:

            > I have a Game Boy Color, complete with a game that I cleaned out of my
            > daughter's room after she moved out and it was going into a geocache
            > with all the rest of her "junk".  (Watch for a new cache soon, and if
            > she isn't FTF, she'll be sorry!)
            >
            > But I'm going to rescue it and donate it to the boys.
            >
            > Julie

            <image.tiff>

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > +  Visit your group "CentralTexasGeocachers" on the web.

            <image.tiff>

          • Alex Alexander
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
              I'm sure being holed up in Houston with a couple of kids is going to
              be difficult.

              Does anyone have an old GPSR that they could donate? Getting the
              boys out geocaching would be great for the family I'm sure.

              Alex - Slytherin
            • Dick Young
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area tomorrow.
                If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might like
                to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
                Cache on,
                Dick
              • grrlfrog71
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                  They are in Friendswood, TX. There are 5 cachers who contacted me
                  directly with items they would like to give - I'd like to get all this
                  stuff together to bring as well. Not sure we can get it all together
                  tonight. When will you go to Houston again?

                  Also, I forgot to mention that the Dad told me he had loaded caches he
                  was ready to hide and now they have been destroyed. Does anyone have
                  a couple ammo cans and some notpads? I have tons of swag to put in a
                  few caches as well as some micro caches. He and the boys could hide
                  them while in Houston. He is devastated that the 16 caches he hid in
                  the New Orleans area are most likely gone.

                  You guys are the best! Thanks!
                  Mary Ann aka Grrlfrog

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                  <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                  > Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area
                  tomorrow.
                  > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might
                  like
                  > to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
                  > Cache on,
                  > Dick
                • Karen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                    Nurses are NEEDED downtown at the medical clinic they have set up for Evacuees.  I don't know who to contact but I heard directly from one of the Doctors who is in charge that they are very short on nurses and data entry clerks.  Aparently there are more than enogh Doctors.
[...]

                    +  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                    +  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                    <image.tiff>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                      On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:11:17 -0000 "grrlfrog71" <mlaverty@...>
                      writes:
                      > They are in Friendswood, TX. There are 5 cachers who contacted me
                      > directly with items they would like to give - I'd like to get all
                      > this
                      > stuff together to bring as well. Not sure we can get it all
                      > together
                      > tonight. When will you go to Houston again?
                      >
                      > Also, I forgot to mention that the Dad told me he had loaded caches
                      > he
                      > was ready to hide and now they have been destroyed. Does anyone
                      > have
                      > a couple ammo cans and some notpads? I have tons of swag to put in
                      > few caches as well as some micro caches. He and the boys could hide
                      >
                      > them while in Houston. He is devastated that the 16 caches he hid
                      > in
                      > the New Orleans area are most likely gone.

                      Remind him that the caching community IS a community.... we'll all pitch
                      in to get things caching again. We're THAT Way.
                      No Ammo cans, but I'll bundle up some swag, too.

                      BTW, we know the kids' needs by extrapolation -- what about the parents?
                      Sizes? Reading habits?

                      > You guys are the best! Thanks!
                      > Mary Ann aka Grrlfrog
                      >
                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                      > <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                      > > Is this family in Houston? I am going to the Houston area
                      > tomorrow.
                      > > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy. Who else might
                      >
                      > like
                      > > to contribute to the cause? Let us get this project going!
                      > > Cache on,
                      > > Dick

                      > --------------------~-->
                      > home page
                      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

                      You don't have to be a genius. You just have to be smarter than the
                      problem. --Al Hartley's Great Grandmother
                      @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                      The past always looks better than it was. It's only pleasant because it
                      isn't here. --Finley Peter Dunne
                    • Karen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                        I plan on going to the Friendswood area soon myself.  I will ask my 14 yr old son for things he is willing to part with.

                        <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                        > Is this family in Houston?  I am going to the Houston area
                        tomorrow.
                        > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy.  Who else might
                        like
                        > to contribute to the cause?    Let us get this project going!
                        > Cache on,
                        > Dick

                      • Bill
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                          I have 3 or 4 ammo cans if you want them.

                          <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                          > Is this family in Houston?  I am going to the Houston area
                          tomorrow.
                          > If they are, we have a bicycle for the older boy.  Who else might
                          like
                          > to contribute to the cause?    Let us get this project going!
                          > Cache on,
                          > Dick

                          Bill Hatfield

                          "Eh Firpibus Unum"