Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Lost Wages is a Lost Cause

  • Nick Silkey
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 27, 2005
      s/Lost Wages/80s Caches/g
      s/Rocketboy/TexasGal/g

      :(

      --
      Nick Silkey
      a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 27, 2005
        On 8/27/05, Nick Silkey <nsilkey@...> wrote:
        > s/Lost Wages/80s Caches/g
        > s/Rocketboy/TexasGal/g

        OK am i a total geek when this makes perfect sense to me without me thinking?;-)

        except maybe i'd use %s.

        Bill "Shrek" Thater ORACLE DBA
        shrekdba@...
        "Zen is not easy.
        It takes effort to attain nothingness.
        And then what do you have?
        Bupkes." -- The Goddess
      • Nick Silkey
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 27, 2005
          I figured a couple of nerds on this list would get it. :D

          On 8/27/05, bill thater <shrekdba@...> wrote:
          > On 8/27/05, Nick Silkey <nsilkey@...> wrote:
          > > s/Lost Wages/80s Caches/g
          > > s/Rocketboy/TexasGal/g
          >
          > OK am i a total geek when this makes perfect sense to me without me thinking?;-)
          >
          > except maybe i'd use %s.
          >
          > --
          > --
          > Bill "Shrek" Thater ORACLE DBA
          > shrekdba@...
          > "Zen is not easy.
          > It takes effort to attain nothingness.
          > And then what do you have?
          > Bupkes." -- The Goddess

          Nick Silkey
          a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
          N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
        • Nick Silkey
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 27, 2005
            This geek better be FTF on that one ...

            Make sure you hide it on campus ... ;)

            --
            Nick Silkey
            a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 27, 2005
              Yeah that's pretty funny. I haven't seen this kind of expression in
              10 years but when I saw it I just immediately said "yeah, I agree"
              just as if it had been written in English. Then I thought, man what a
              geek I must be.

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, bill thater
              <shrekdba@g...> wrote:
              > On 8/27/05, Nick Silkey <nsilkey@g...> wrote:
              > > s/Lost Wages/80s Caches/g
              > > s/Rocketboy/TexasGal/g
              >
              > OK am i a total geek when this makes perfect sense to me without me
              thinking?;-)

              > except maybe i'd use %s.
              >
              > --
              > --
              > Bill "Shrek" Thater ORACLE DBA
              > shrekdba@g...
              > "Zen is not easy.
              > It takes effort to attain nothingness.
              > And then what do you have?
              > Bupkes." -- The Goddess
            • mrscaptainpicard
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 27, 2005
                When I last spoke to RocketBoy, he was backing off geocaching to put
                some focus back on his family. He lived in Round Rock, but near the
                end, he was racing down to far south Austin to beat me out of first
                to finds before work. I wish him all the best.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Wyman"
                <cwymanjr@a...> wrote:
                > And yes, I know, I should be out finding caches or hiding my own,
                but
                > instead, I'm wasting my day trying to fix one that I honestly think
                is worth
                > fixing. Boooo.
                Wyman
                > Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2005 4:19 PM
                > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] RE: Lost Wages is a Lost Cause
                >

                > Well, I spray painted a magnetic key box, it looks the exact same
                color
                > its surroundings. I took it over there to stick it, and poop! The
                thing is
                > not metal, or not metal enough for the magnet to stick. Now I am
                thinking
                > that since the coordinates are apparently so whack as it is, I may
                just put
                > a white-colored film canister in the huge rock across the street.
                It has
                > some hidey holes.
                >
                > Anyone got any objections or any better ideas?
                >
                > Stratman

                > Service.

                --------
                > --
              • dscherer1966
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 30, 2005
                  Did you get your answer about lost wages container???

                  I can help you.
                  <cwymanjr@a...> wrote:
                  > Hey everyone,
                  >
                  > Does anyone remember what the cache container thing looked like
                  for Lost
                  > Wages? I have been to the sight enough times to determine it is
                  missing in
                  > action. The owner doesn't seem to care, and Prime Approver is mad
                  at me
                  > because I have posted about 30 DNFs lately. I figure screw it
                  all. I'm
                  > going over there and putting out a film canister or SOMETHING, but
                  if I
                  > could get close to what it used to be, it may be better. I was
                  even
                  > thinking about putting a string around that light and hanging the
                  cache down
                  > to about 3 feet so people like Julie can reach it.
                  >
                  > Anyway, if anyone besides me and the 7 C's cares, there will be a
                  canister
                  > of some sort out there this weekend.
                  >
                  > Rocketboy, I would ask you about the cache, but I know you're not
                  reading
                  > this or your e-mail anyway. I wish you would come back to life!
                  I really
                  > enjoyed finding your hides - back in the good old days. Oh well,
                  Rest in
                  > Peace.
                  >
                  > Curtis (Stratman)
                • Candy Lind
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 31, 2005
                    <cwymanjr@a...> wrote:
                    > Hey everyone,
                    >
                    > Does anyone remember what the cache container thing looked like for
                    Lost
                    > Wages?

                    Altoids or some such tin, painted some dark color, and magnetized to
                    stick to the hiding place (do you know where it's supposed to be?). Why
                    didn't you just call the hotline and save some bandwidth??? ;-D

                    Candy
                  • dscherer1966
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 31, 2005
                      I checked on the container.
                      it is missing. no sign of it anywhere. Guess rocket boy is mia.
                      Txbigfoot

                      <candylind@e...> wrote:
                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Wyman"
                      > <cwymanjr@a...> wrote:
                      > > Hey everyone,
                      > >
                      > > Does anyone remember what the cache container thing looked like
                      for
                      > Lost
                      > > Wages?
                      >
                      > Altoids or some such tin, painted some dark color, and magnetized to
                      > stick to the hiding place (do you know where it's supposed to be?).
                      Why
                      > didn't you just call the hotline and save some bandwidth??? ;-D
                      >
                      > Candy
                    • Curtis Wyman
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 31, 2005
                        Thanks for confirming it Txbigfoot.  I have a replacement but I have to redo it because either the magnet isn't strong enough or the spot isn't magnetic.  Someone suggested Velcro so I may give that a shot.  I have the perfect green color if you (or anyone else) has something that will stick up there like the other one must have.

                        And how about that freakin' price of GAS!  I'm going to be sitting around trying to solve all the puzzle caches in the area for a few weeks I guess.  I'm available for carpool caching if anyone else is.

                        Speaking of which, I was hoping to gather up a 'geoherd' and check out Essiar's Third Moon cache.  I am available any evening this extended weekend.  I was planning to cross Texas this weekend, but not on my savings. :-(  Any one interested?

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                          Barb and I might be interested in Essiar's Third Moon.  I was going to try and organize a trip in late Sept., due to heat issues.

                          Russ aka The Waterweasel

                          <candylind@e...> wrote:
                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Wyman"
                          > <cwymanjr@a...> wrote:
                          > > Hey everyone,
                          > >
                          > > Does anyone remember what the cache container thing looked like
                          for
                          > Lost
                          > > Wages?
                          >
                          > Altoids or some such tin, painted some dark color, and magnetized to
                          > stick to the hiding place (do you know where it's supposed to be?).
                          Why
                          > didn't you just call the hotline and save some bandwidth??? ;-D
                          >
                          > Candy

                          City park rental vacationCentral texas real estateCity park hotel sant just
                          OutdoorsCity park hotel pelayoCity parks

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                            Message
                            Curtis, I'll do the night cache as long as its Sunday or Monday night.  I've done it three times, but its fun to ram around in the dark with friends.

                            <candylind@e...> wrote:
                            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Wyman"
                            > <cwymanjr@a...> wrote:
                            > > Hey everyone,
                            > >
                            > > Does anyone remember what the cache container thing looked like
                            for
                            > Lost
                            > > Wages?
                            >
                            > Altoids or some such tin, painted some dark color, and magnetized to
                            > stick to the hiding place (do you know where it's supposed to be?).
                            Why
                            > didn't you just call the hotline and save some bandwidth??? ;-D
                            >
                            > Candy

                          • Nick Silkey
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                              I might be down, contingent on travel plans with the Missus. I went
                              during the last group outing and found it to be a blast. I will watch
                              this thread in the meantime and keep you posted.

                              --
                              Nick Silkey
                              a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                                Okay, I am officially organizing a Lost in the Dark party for this
                                Sunday night, September 4th. Let's meet at 7:30 PM at the posted
                                coordinates for "Third Moon from Planet Essiada" (30° 24.232 W 097°
                                40.895) unless one of you experienced folks has a better meeting spot
                                for the cache.

                                I have heard only great things about this cache and have also heard
                                that non-geocachers would really have a lot of fun with it as well. So
                                feel free to bring your friends. Everyone is welcome, everyone is
                                invited!

                                The Hoot and I will be there. I will try to bring a new geocaching
                                friend (searcher_gone_astray) too.

                                So come on! Let's get lost in the dark!
                                Stratman (Curtis)
                              • loisslanee
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                                  ok well the adults from the doppler gang think we are interested, what
                                  day are you thinking and what time are you wishing to start?
                                • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                                    Message
                                    When you know who's coming, you need to arrange to drop a car off at the end.  If we meet at 7:30, there should be time to run a car over to the other side before dark.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                                      Ok part of the Doppler Gang is in... We will be happy to pick up anyone
                                      that wants a ride that lives in the pflugerville/roundrock area (now I
                                      just need to let my husband know "we" are in)

                                      Lynda
                                      1 of the Doppler Gang
                                    • Nick Silkey
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                                        As per the last Curtis/Stratman e-mail:

                                        "Okay, I am officially organizing a Lost in the Dark party for this
                                        Sunday night, September 4th. Let's meet at 7:30 PM at the posted
                                        coordinates for "Third Moon from Planet Essiada" (30° 24.232 W 097°
                                        40.895) unless one of you experienced folks has a better meeting spot
                                        for the cache."

                                        Maybe Yahoo!Groups farted and didnt send you this. Who knows.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                          Message
                                          Yes, I will call you.

                                          In case you are north, here is one that has not been published yet...

                                          Even my wife thought the container was cool...

                                          Curtis

                                           Bring Your Own Lawn Chair
                                          [Click to temporarily disable]

                                          by Stratman & the Hoot [profile]

                                          Cache Issues:

                                          • This cache has not been approved yet. Once it is approved, it will be listed on the site. Check the logs to see if the reviewers have left a note for this listing.
                                          N 30° 23.754 W 097° 42.596
                                          UTM: 14R E 623932 N 3363361
                                          SWSW 6.5mi from your home coordinates.
                                          or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

                                          Click icon to download:

                                          Read about waypoint downloads

                                          In Texas, United States [view map]
                                          Hidden: 9/2/2005
                                          Use waypoint: GCQD02 (what's this?)
                                          Make this page print-friendly (no logs)

                                          Please note: To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

                                          (ratings out of 5 stars. 1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)
                                          Difficulty:  ***1/2  Terrain: *1/2

                                          The terrain is very mild, I didn't see anything poisonous, but there is potential for a lot of muggle traffic nearby. You DO NOT HAVE TO CLIMB THE POWER POLE!

                                          Since I can no longer afford gas to cache during lunch, I took a little stroll around the area where I work. This location just cries out for a cache. It has the perfect ingredients for a cache - plenty of hidey holes, beautiful pine trees, oak trees, and others, there are huge power lines right above you helping to confuse your GPSr even more, the ground is covered with natural pine mulch, and it is so shady that even in 100 degree weather, it is very comfortable.

                                          So bring your own lawn chair and enjoy the breeze. You may need it when you get tired from searching.

                                          Additional Hints (Decrypt)

                                          Decryption Key
                                          (letter above equals below,
                                          and vice versa)

                                          Yboybyyl crqhapyr

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                            I think the foot family may be there. Txbigfoot, txlittle foot and
                                            Tx small foot.
                                            <cwymanjr@a...> wrote:
                                            > MessageYes, I will call you.
                                            >
                                            > In case you are north, here is one that has not been published
                                            yet...

                                            > Even my wife thought the container was cool...
                                            >
                                            > Curtis
                                            >
                                            > Bring Your Own Lawn Chair
                                            > [Click to temporarily disable]
                                            > by Stratman & the Hoot [profile]
                                            >

                                            > Cache Issues:
                                            >
                                            > a.. This cache has not been approved yet. Once it is approved,
                                            it will be
                                            > listed on the site. Check the logs to see if the reviewers have
                                            left a note
                                            > for this listing.
                                            > N 30° 23.754 W 097° 42.596
                                            > UTM: 14R E 623932 N 3363361
                                            > SW 6.5mi from your home coordinates.
                                            > or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com
                                            >

                                            > Click icon to download:
                                            >
                                            > Read about waypoint downloads
                                            >
                                            > In Texas, United States [view map]
                                            > Hidden: 9/2/2005
                                            > Use waypoint: GCQD02 (what's this?)
                                            > Make this page print-friendly (no logs)
                                            >

                                            > Please note: To use the services of geocaching.com, you must
                                            agree to
                                            > the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.
                                            >

                                            > (ratings out of 5 stars. 1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)
                                            > Difficulty: Terrain:
                                            >
                                            > The terrain is very mild, I didn't see anything poisonous, but
                                            there is
                                            > potential for a lot of muggle traffic nearby. You DO NOT HAVE TO
                                            CLIMB THE
                                            > POWER POLE!
                                            >

                                            > Since I can no longer afford gas to cache during lunch, I took a
                                            little
                                            > stroll around the area where I work. This location just cries out
                                            for a
                                            > cache. It has the perfect ingredients for a cache - plenty of
                                            hidey holes,
                                            > beautiful pine trees, oak trees, and others, there are huge power
                                            lines
                                            > right above you helping to confuse your GPSr even more, the ground
                                            is
                                            > covered with natural pine mulch, and it is so shady that even in
                                            100 degree
                                            > weather, it is very comfortable.
                                            > So bring your own lawn chair and enjoy the breeze. You may need
                                            it when
                                            > you get tired from searching.
                                            >

                                            > Additional Hints (Decrypt) Decryption Key
                                            > -------------------------
                                            > (letter above equals below,
                                            > and vice versa)
                                            >

                                            > Yboybyyl crqhapyr

                                            Terms of

                                            ---------
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                                              Waterweasel, The Tygress, and Raven Eye expect to be there.  With bright lights . . .

                                              Russ aka waterweasel

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 4, 2005
                                                Lost in the Dark is still on for tonight at 7:30.  If you are interested in going out to look for Essiar's "Third Moon from Planet Essiada" tonight, come on along with us.  We will meet at the posted coordinates (30° 24.232 W 097°40.895)at 7:30 PM on Sept. 4th (Sunday night).

                                                If anyone needs a ride from the Pflugerville area, send me a note.  I can carry as many as five.

                                                Stratman

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 4, 2005
                                                  I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that came tonight and got Lost in the Dark with us.  We really had a lot of fun walking and talking with you all.  Thanks to Larry and Julie for helping us complete the mission when we got off track or needed assistance.

                                                  Anyone else out there that hasn't done Third Moon from Planet Essiada...do it!  It was very cool!  I might even be willing to go and do it again sometime!

                                                  Ciao,
                                                  Stratman (Curtis)

                                                • Curtis Wyman
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 5, 2005
                                                    Lost Wages is not a lost cause anymore.  I have replaced the container according to what I understand it used to be.  Prime Approver is trying to contact Team Rocket and will not re-enable it until he gets a reply.  If he doesn't get one within the month then he is going to change the owner of the cache to me.  Although it is currently temporarily disabled, you can still find/log it if you haven't.

                                                    Stratman (Curtis)

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 5, 2005
                                                      Thanks for organizing it.  We (Barb, Reid and I) had fun.  Check out Barb's post on the web site . . .

                                                      Russ aka the waterweasel