Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] New cache notification app - BETA

  • Christopher Holland
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 28, 2005
      But if you establish an API for accessing your site, more nimble third
      party developers could make all kinds of cool widgets that you don't
      have the time or money to develop. I just think the folks at
      geocaching.com have a very territorial outlook on their enterprise
      that doesn't necessarily benefit anyone.

      --
      http://www.stomptokyo.com/
    • Barry Watson
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 28, 2005
        Agreed.

        ________________________________
        >  From:
        CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com

        [CentralTexasGeocachers] New cache notification app - BETA

        > The wheels turn slowly at geocaching.com. They don't
        seem very keen on
        > third-party utilities that actively access their site
        -- things like
        > GSAK are all right because they work from pocket queries,
        but other
        > than that, it's hands-off.
        >
        > Ah well.

      • Curtis Wyman
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 28, 2005
        • Nick Silkey
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 29, 2005
            To which prior application were you referring? I was just rocking a
            low-tech FTF PQ hyperlink in the Bookmarks Toolbar of Firefox. :)

            --
            Nick Silkey
            a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 29, 2005
              API??? gc.com needs to fix their current problems first (website
              performance, pq generation, etc.). 3rd party app's would more than
              likely bring them to their knees.

              Christopher Holland wrote:

              >But if you establish an API for accessing your site, more nimble third
              >party developers could make all kinds of cool widgets that you don't
              >have the time or money to develop. I just think the folks at
              >geocaching.com have a very territorial outlook on their enterprise
              >that doesn't necessarily benefit anyone.

            • Kevin Mefford
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 29, 2005
                Way back when (pre April '04)...a gc.com user (Skydiver) created a nifty 3rd
                party application to check for new caches and send you an email as soon as
                one popped up.

                Of course, then, gc.com decided that was putting a strain on their servers
                and so announced that they were creating their own notification system:

                http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=69133&hl=

                The user was subsequently banned (stories vary as to why) and went on to
                form an alternative listing site: www.terracaching.com

                The development wheels are certainly turning slowly at the home of the
                frog...it would be nice to see them get their problems under control (server
                loads, pq crashes, etc.), but at the same time, I sure wish they'd open some
                of the "nice" features to outside developers too.

                Kevin
                KoosKoos - in case you didn't know, Julie! ;)

                --
                Nick Silkey
                a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'

              • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 29, 2005
                  Message
                  Oh, just HUMOR ME, Kevin! (KoosKoos!)

                  I use URLYWarning.com which scans for changes in a selected web page.  This probably works better for me since my first page of unfound caches covers a bigger area than most of you, but hey, that's my secret and you can steal it if you want!  The site will send a popup to my computer screen, an email to my desk and a page to my pager.

                  --
                  Nick Silkey
                  a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'

                • Christopher Holland
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 29, 2005
                    Consider it stolen! Nice tip.

                    Since we're passing on tips, I've found that not many people know about

                    http://wap.geocaching.com/

                    A mini-browser for geocaching.com which works from most cell phones
                    with any sort of internet access. WAP stands for "wireless application
                    protocol" -- short definition follows.

                    "WAPs that use displays and access the Internet run what are called
                    microbrowsers--browsers with small file sizes that can accommodate the
                    low memory constraints of handheld devices and the low-bandwidth
                    constraints of a wireless-handheld network."

                    In the case of geocaching.com, that means you can view, find, and log
                    caches and travel bugs from your phone without waiting till the end of
                    never for the pages to load.

                    Chris

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 29, 2005
                      http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=79671&st=150#

                      Not if youre like me. Sprint sucks!

                      On 7/29/05, Christopher Holland <stomptokyo@...> wrote:
                      > Consider it stolen! Nice tip.
                      >
                      > Since we're passing on tips, I've found that not many people know about
                      >
                      > http://wap.geocaching.com/
                      >
                      > A mini-browser for geocaching.com which works from most cell phones
                      > with any sort of internet access. WAP stands for "wireless application
                      > protocol" -- short definition follows.
                      >
                      > "WAPs that use displays and access the Internet run what are called
                      > microbrowsers--browsers with small file sizes that can accommodate the
                      > low memory constraints of handheld devices and the low-bandwidth
                      > constraints of a wireless-handheld network."
                      >
                      > In the case of geocaching.com, that means you can view, find, and log
                      > caches and travel bugs from your phone without waiting till the end of
                      > never for the pages to load.
                      >
                      > Chris
                      >
                      > On 7/29/05, Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Oh, just HUMOR ME, Kevin! (KoosKoos!)
                      > >
                      > > I use URLYWarning.com which scans for changes in a selected web page.
                      >
                      > --
                      > http://www.stomptokyo.com/

                      Nick Silkey
                      a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'