Australia-Austin TB race AND Australia TB collection event

  • Rich and Di
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
      Message
      Rich, the boys and I are headed to Australia for 10 weeks at the end of the month.  We're organizing an event to collect travel bugs which want to go see the world.

      At Slytherin's event this evening, Candy put a bug in my ear about organizing a TB race.  Time is fairly short -- the event will most likely be Tuesday, July 26 and we're leaving on the 31st.  So get those bugs ready, both your own and ones you've found in the field.

      Anyone have Australia souvenir suggestions for race prizes?  If you don't make suggestions, the prizes will be boomerangs and kangaroo skin purses, or something equally touristy.

      There will be two prizes awarded.  The first is for the first bug to make it back to Austin and be placed in a certain cache, probably one of the three we're planning on placing this weekend.  The other is the one with the most mileage by a certain date, probably either 1/1/6 or 6/6/6 or some other significant date.

      Depending on the number of bugs in the race, we will either place all in one cache or randomly place bugs in caches.

      The event will most likely take place at the Chuy's on North Lamar.  They are known to be picky about seating complete parties and splitting checks, so tomorrow I'll make sure our kind of event is ok with them and then submit the event to geocaching.com.

      See ya'll there!

      --Di

    • Nick Silkey
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
        A boomerang! Some Vegemite[tm]! A didgeridoo! Those are 3 cool,
        unique, possibly inexpensive "Aussie" swag prizes that would do well
        for the race. And I would really be a happy cacher if my bug led to
        victory along with a didgeridoo. :)

        Have fun in Australia. How in the world did you swing a 10 week
        sojourn to Down Under?

      • Chris @ Stomp Tokyo
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1 6:14 PM
          How are the travelers in this race doing? My own bug has made it as
          far as San Marcos - in case anyone wanted to get it the last bit of
          the way (hint! hint!).
        • Chris @ Stomp Tokyo
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1 7:29 PM
            Oh, and by the way it's "Get Chococat to Austin TX," currently in San
            Marcos Open Space #2.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1 9:12 PM
              Gee, maybe Russ'll go on down and get it.... take it off to....
              Indianapolis! =g!=

              On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 02:14:31 -0000 "Chris @ Stomp Tokyo"
              <stomptokyo@...> writes:
              > How are the travelers in this race doing? My own bug has made it as
              > far as San Marcos - in case anyone wanted to get it the last bit of
              > the way (hint! hint!).

              Law of Christmas Decorating: The outdoor lights that tested perfectly
              indoors develop burn-outs as soon as they are strung on the house.
              (Barb's Addendum: . . .and the ladder is put away.)
              The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody
              appreciates how difficult it was. --anon
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2 10:20 AM
                I WAS threatening to go pick it up -- and take it to Indianapolis with me . . . Decided that was cheating! ;->

                Russ the waterweasel

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3 7:18 PM
                  Yes, much as my idea to get it the last bit of the way myself was
                  nixed for the reason that it's probably cheating. C'mon... somebody? =)