RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: What are the numbers really worth?

  • Barry Watson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2005
      Message
      I agree.  I know people have counts in the thousands.  For me, the number is an indicator to me of my progress....  I know what number represents low caching activity vs high caching activity for me for a period of time....  say, a month.  We found 16 yesterday out of 19 attempts.  We like those results.  For some more seasoned cachers, that may be low for a day of caching.  For others, they can't see spending a whole weekend day caching when most of us only get two days off and then it's back to work.  We just like to see it when there's a jump in our numbers or when they even move!  lol....   But mostly, having a "find" is just a way to know which ones we've already found so we can concentrate on others...

      Barry
      aka Doc Geo
    • gbmorrow
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2005
        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill <chardon47@y...>
        wrote:
        > It all begs the question... are you geocaching for numbers or
        because you enjoy the game?

        Well, in Vegas, its a little of both (I'm enough of a nerd so that
        things like using a vp strategy is fun....while my mom had more fun
        just playing on 'intuitin')

        In geocaching, I'm enough of a nerd where I enjoy keeping my own score
        (and my own scoring system where a 5/5 is worth more than a
        1/1)....and use the "founds" to make it easier to look up new
        ones....and again I like watching my own progress (or lack of it
        sometimes) based on improvement against myself...but I get a bigger
        kick out of everything elss...(including doing insane things trying to
        get ftf now and then, though you couldn't tell it from my recent
        activity) like meeting really neat people, finding amazing places,
        many of which are right around the corner from me but I never knew
        about. I really enjoy finding caches that stump me for a while...A
        couple of my favorites have been Red Rover by Texas-Gal and Inside
        Joke by Essiar, both of which I went to at least 8 or 10 times before
        I finally found them....after many others found them right
        off...finally geting them was a real blast...but I also know the
        things I find fun are not necessarily what other folks do...i figure
        there's enough different aspects to the while thing that lots of folks
        can find it fun for lots of different reasons...
      • Grajek
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2005
          Well put. Thanks :-)