rejected caches

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2002
      There is lots of discussion on Groundspeak about rejected caches,
      too -- sometimes I think unwritten rules are applied or the approvers
      are too nit-picky. You always have the option to appeal the decision
      to Jeremy (info@...) -- I sent him an email about your
      latest rejection, Dan, so maybe he'll do something about it. We'll
      see!

      Don't be discouraged; you've had some great cache ideas before and we
      want to keep them coming!

      Happy Trails,
      Candy
    • Rich Wendling
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 26, 2002
        All of the approvers have gotten pickier about enforcing the rules as
        stated on the cache requirements page. My experience has been that
        erik88l-r is a lot pickier than other approvers, expecially when it
        comes to virtuals and locationless caches. My experience is also
        that if he rejects a cache, a polite email clearly detailing why the
        cache should be posted and how the cache meets the posted
        requirements will usually persuade him to allow the cache. He's
        rejected 4 of mine, then reversed himself after I emailed him all
        four times.

        The requirements are posted at
        http://www.geocaching.com/articles/requirements.asp

        Some things they seem to be picky about, and how to meet the
        requirement:

        1. It has to be a permanent object with specific coords.

        Post specific coords. Any wording about the coords being approximate
        or the object in question moving should be added AFTER approval.
        Make reference on the cache page to a specific object to find.

        2. A virtual cache must be novel, meaning of interest to other
        players. Items that would be in a coffee table book are good
        examples.

        Explain on the cache page why the object in question is "novel." You
        can always delete the text later, if such a description gives away
        the surprise. Or, post a note before the description that the
        approver should delete the text before posting the cache as
        approved. It also wouldn't hurt to find a book at Amazon.com, and
        post a link to it ;-)

        If the cache is archived for not being "novel" enough, a detailed
        description of why the cache IS novel sent to the approver should get
        them to change their minds.

        3. Verification.

        They WILL NOT APPROVE a virtual or locationless without a means of
        verification. A couple of simple ways to handle this are either to
        require the cacher to post a photo, or to email you a "password." If
        you don't want to require a photo or be bothered with passwords, you
        can always delete the requirement later. With the password, you can
        use wording that says to go ahead and post the find, and that IF you
        don't receive the email, you'll delete the find. That way, the
        finder can post without waiting for you to respond, and you can
        simply ignore the emails you receve.

        Most of my virtuals require typing in a password on a web page I set
        up. If you don't have the technical skills to do this, I'd be glad
        to help you with it.

        4. Proximity

        Lately, some of the approvers have gotten picky about this one, while
        others have not. If you have a virtual rejected because it is too
        close to another cache, you'll have to email a very specific note to
        the approver as to why your location is distinct from the nearby
        location.

        I've got several virtuals, mostly in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, that
        you can look up and steal ideas from.

        Rich Wendling
        aka Web-ling