Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Caution against using sulfur for chiggers

  • Nick Silkey
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1, 2005
      Egads. No wonder its hard to come by around here. Every pharmacy
      shop I visited in Northwest Austin (Walgreens, CVS, Peoples Pharmacy,
      etc.) didnt carry it but they offered to special order it. I was
      advised that perhaps plant stores/nurserys or Whole Foods carried it.
      Either way, I shant seek it out. The DEET has worked well and I will
      stick with it. :)

      On 7/1/05, Karen Austin <karenaustin@...> wrote:
      > A couple of week ago I suggested using sulfur to keep chiggers off. Well,
      > our family is preparing to go hiking and I read the package on our sulfur.
      > It said to avoid contact with skin and clothing! Our pediatrician's nurse
      > told me that some people are highly allergic to sulfur and don't realize it.
      > She recommended using Cutter Advance instead, which can be applied 4 times
      > daily and does not require washing off. DEET can only be applied 2x/day and
      > requires washing off.
      >
      > splasher

      > ________________________________

    • Christina Holland
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1, 2005
        I know people with the sulfur allergy; it can get pretty severe.

        However, is there anything out there that's kinder to sensitive skin
        than DEET but still effective? I tried DEET this summer, and my arms
        and face immediately started to feel like they were on fire. I rinsed
        it off as soon as I could - not a pleasant experience.

        For the moment, I am just trying to stay covered up as much as I can.

        - Christina (stegasaurus, wife of stomptokyo)

        On Jul 1, 2005, at 10:20 AM, Nick Silkey wrote:

        > Egads. No wonder its hard to come by around here. Every pharmacy
        > shop I visited in Northwest Austin (Walgreens, CVS, Peoples Pharmacy,
        > etc.) didnt carry it but they offered to special order it. I was
        > advised that perhaps plant stores/nurserys or Whole Foods carried it.
        > Either way, I shant seek it out. The DEET has worked well and I will
        > stick with it. :)
        >
        > On 7/1/05, Karen Austin <karenaustin@...> wrote:
        >
        >> A couple of week ago I suggested using sulfur to keep chiggers
        >> off. Well,
        >> our family is preparing to go hiking and I read the package on our
        >> sulfur.
        >> It said to avoid contact with skin and clothing! Our
        >> pediatrician's nurse
        >> told me that some people are highly allergic to sulfur and don't
        >> realize it.
        >> She recommended using Cutter Advance instead, which can be
        >> applied 4 times
        >> daily and does not require washing off. DEET can only be applied
        >> 2x/day and
        >> requires washing off.
        >>
        >> splasher

      • wendy and james
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 1, 2005
          The product Cutter Advanced says it was designed for that reason.
          All the reviews I have read say it is as effective if not better
          than Deet. We tried it and I can say I did not have a bug problem.

          http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/ProductCategories/PersonalRepell
          ents/Advanced/--- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com,
          Christina Holland <clholland@m...> wrote:

          > I know people with the sulfur allergy; it can get pretty severe.
          >
          > However, is there anything out there that's kinder to sensitive
          skin
          > than DEET but still effective? I tried DEET this summer, and my
          arms
          > and face immediately started to feel like they were on fire. I
          rinsed
          > it off as soon as I could - not a pleasant experience.
          >
          > For the moment, I am just trying to stay covered up as much as I
          can.

          > - Christina (stegasaurus, wife of stomptokyo)
          >
          > On Jul 1, 2005, at 10:20 AM, Nick Silkey wrote:
          >
          > > Egads. No wonder its hard to come by around here. Every
          pharmacy
          > > shop I visited in Northwest Austin (Walgreens, CVS, Peoples
          Pharmacy,
          > > etc.) didnt carry it but they offered to special order it. I was
          > > advised that perhaps plant stores/nurserys or Whole Foods
          carried it.
          > > Either way, I shant seek it out. The DEET has worked well and I
          will
          > > stick with it. :)
          > >
          > > On 7/1/05, Karen Austin <karenaustin@a...> wrote:
          > >
          > >> A couple of week ago I suggested using sulfur to keep
          chiggers
          > >> off. Well,
          > >> our family is preparing to go hiking and I read the package on
          our
          > >> sulfur.
          > >> It said to avoid contact with skin and clothing! Our
          > >> pediatrician's nurse
          > >> told me that some people are highly allergic to sulfur and
          don't
          > >> realize it.
          > >> She recommended using Cutter Advance instead, which can be
          > >> applied 4 times
          > >> daily and does not require washing off. DEET can only be
          applied
          > >> 2x/day and
          > >> requires washing off.
          > >>
          > >> splasher

          > >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          Service.

        • Nick Silkey
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 1, 2005
            Is Cutter Advance available at any pharmacy (or anywhere I could find
            DEET-based products)?

          • Christina Holland
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 1, 2005
              Thank you! I'll definitely give that a try; I'm tired of being bug food.

              - Christina

            • b_rad2cool1
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 1, 2005
                Really give the RightGuard Spray deodorant in the Gold can a try. We
                went back to St.Edwards Park off Spicewood Springs Road again and
                sprayed everyones feet, shoes and legs all the way up to just over the
                waist. None of us came home with any chigger bites.

                It sometimes takes up to two days after you get into chiggers to know
                if they gotya or not.

                Or maybe there aren't any more chiggers there anymore.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Karen Austin
                <karenaustin@a...> wrote:
                > A couple of week ago I suggested using sulfur to keep chiggers off.
                Well,
                > our family is preparing to go hiking and I read the package on our
                sulfur.
                > It said to avoid contact with skin and clothing! Our pediatrician¹s
                nurse
                > told me that some people are highly allergic to sulfur and don¹t
                realize it.
                > She recommended using Cutter Advance instead, which can be applied 4
                times
                > daily and does not require washing off. DEET can only be applied
                2x/day and
                > requires washing off.
                >
                > splasher
              • Barry Watson
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 1, 2005
                  SkinSoSoft from Avon?  Works good on skeeters so maybe....

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 1, 2005
                    Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Caution against using sulfur for chiggers I don’t know what % DEET the nurse was talking about or where to find the Cutter Advanced.  Skin-so-soft seems to work well, too. I do remember reading on a backpacking or hiking website from Colorado about mixing SkinSoSoft with other things, but I can’t remember what.
                  • wendy and james
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 1, 2005
                      Cutter Advanced is usually with all the other bug sprays. We got a
                      pack at a CVS pharmacy that had a minibottle with a regualr bottle.
                      it was a pretty good deal. It also does not have the choking
                      smell/taste in the air that deet products have.

                      James