Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Dan, Kim and Ryan need help!

  • David Gahagan
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
      Quite frankly, there are two ways to solve the problem.

      One way to beat these fools at their own game is to post the cache with
      different coordinates, get it approved, then change it. How are they going
      to know that is isn't near the veloway? These people need to get a clue.
      Unenforceable rules are worthless.

      A second option would be to verify that your cache meets the rules, then
      start raising a stink.

      In my experience, geocaching.com is getting worse about playing the role of
      cache "police". If it were my cache, I would ask him to show me where it
      states in the rules for placing a cache that they can't be close together?
      Get on the forums and start yelling, email Jeremy, raise a stink. These
      punks need their admin privileges revoked. Rules are rules, if your cache
      meets them, then you have every right to raise a stink.

      Best I can tell, these people of nothing more than a bunch of overzealous
      pinheads that feel like they have some magical power to control the sport.
      geocaching.com isn't anything special. If they aren't careful, someone will
      come along offer a better site and knock them off their little pedestal.
      This is Austin after all, how long could it take a few of us geeks to
      replicate geocaching.com functionality on our own site after we get enough
      of this garbage?

      Apologies for the rant, but I've been dealing with this type of person all
      week and I'm fed up.

      Flame proof suit now on.
      Later
      Firecacher

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
        My own passive/agressive approach would be to post it
        with bogus coords and then change them as soon as it's
        approved. The approvers don't know anything about the
        caching scene here in Austin. They wouldn't know a
        good cache site from a bad one around here. We know if
        you post a cache it will be worth going after. There
        is not a whole lot we can do to educate the approvers
        about these types of things either.

        -- Roger

        --- danmcgauley <hawkeye@...> wrote:
        > Can anyone out there in our group help me out with
        > the geocaching
        > admin people? I've posted several new caches
        > lately, and they all
        > keep getting rejected. My latest one, the movie
        > cache replacement,
        > got denied today. Here's the message from
        > "erik88l-r":
        >
        > "I'm sorry folks, but we can't post a cache that is
        > so close to an
        > existing cache that a person looking for one would
        > find the other.
        > I would estimate that your Movie Cache is 50 or 75
        > feet from this
        > one

        > geocaching.com admin"
        >
        > I swear, I'm getting sick and tired of this sport
        > everytime I have
        > to deal with these people. Can anyone help? The
        > new cache isn't
        > THAT close to the other one, and I don't understand
        > why it matters.
        >
        > -Daniel

        =====
        Uncle Rojelio
        Austin, TX

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Daniel McGauley
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
          Thanks for all the emails and support guys. I lost my battle with
          Jeremy, the 'owner' of geocaching.com, so that's it for me as far as
          charter memberships go. I'm not going to support them one dollar more,
          and if this sport eventually dies, it's their fault.

          For now, I just took advantage of their crappy database design and
          copied over my Texas Movie Cache #3 (the Top Notch Burger cache that was
          kinda hard anyway since there were tons of movies shot there) with the
          new Movie Exchange cache.

          I had a giant multi-Halloween cache set for release with a bunch of
          surprises, but that's it for me. I'm not hiding any more. I've wasted
          far too much of my time fighting with those bastards that I'm done
          hiding these. I still can't believe how many fights I've had over
          something so simple and silly. Oh well.

          -Dan

          --- danmcgauley <hawkeye@...> wrote:
          > Can anyone out there in our group help me out with
          > the geocaching
          > admin people? I've posted several new caches
          > lately, and they all
          > keep getting rejected. My latest one, the movie
          > cache replacement,
          > got denied today. Here's the message from
          > "erik88l-r":
          >
          > "I'm sorry folks, but we can't post a cache that is
          > so close to an
          > existing cache that a person looking for one would
          > find the other.
          > I would estimate that your Movie Cache is 50 or 75
          > feet from this
          > one

          > geocaching.com admin"
          >
          > I swear, I'm getting sick and tired of this sport
          > everytime I have
          > to deal with these people. Can anyone help? The
          > new cache isn't
          > THAT close to the other one, and I don't understand
          > why it matters.
          >
          > -Daniel

          =====
          Uncle Rojelio
          Austin, TX

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 27, 2002
            So, anyone up for telling Jeremy and his stupid buddies to take a leap!
            This stupid b****** needs his head examined. Anyone that has paid for a
            charter membership should email Jeremy and let him know how we feel. I'm
            100% in support of Dan on this one and will be sending my complaint off
            shortly.

            Regards
            David Gahagan aka FireCacher

            > Thanks for all the emails and support guys. I lost my battle with
            > Jeremy, the 'owner' of geocaching.com, so that's it for me as far as
            > charter memberships go. I'm not going to support them one dollar more,
            > and if this sport eventually dies, it's their fault.
            >
            > For now, I just took advantage of their crappy database design and
            > copied over my Texas Movie Cache #3 (the Top Notch Burger cache that was
            > kinda hard anyway since there were tons of movies shot there) with the
            > new Movie Exchange cache.
            >
            > I had a giant multi-Halloween cache set for release with a bunch of
            > surprises, but that's it for me. I'm not hiding any more. I've wasted
            > far too much of my time fighting with those bastards that I'm done
            > hiding these. I still can't believe how many fights I've had over
            > something so simple and silly. Oh well.
            >
            > -Dan

          • geo_texas_gal
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 28, 2002
              Oh, man, Dan! Please don't let their crappy behavior spoil the sport
              for you! This is OUR sport, not theirs - they just run a website. I
              have always enjoyed the caches you've placed (Britannia Manor is
              still one of my favorites), and I personally would hate to lose your
              contributions to the caching community here in Austin.

              Plus, your Halloweed multicache sounds like so much fun...

              Anything I can do to persuade you to come back? I'd be happy to post
              your caches under my name (and then switch to yours), to send emails
              on your behalf, whatever.

              They can't push around us Austinites!

              Melissa
              aka Texas-Gal