RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Dan, Kim and Ryan need help!

  • Daniel McGauley
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 25, 2002
      All my other rejections are virtual rejections because I haven't devised
      a system yet that will prove to the admins that a person has visited the
      site. The coords from the new movie cache to the Veloway cache (the
      Lance Armstrong one) is about 150 feet .. Maybe more, but I didn't
      really think it was that important. I'm sick of fighting the geocache
      admins over little tiny things and I doubt I'm going to go out of my way
      to hide any more caches. I didn't realize this sport was going to have
      so many restrictions .. Stupid restrictions. Has anyone else had many
      problems like this? It's getting very tiresome.

      -Daniel

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
        Quite frankly, there are two ways to solve the problem.

        One way to beat these fools at their own game is to post the cache with
        different coordinates, get it approved, then change it. How are they going
        to know that is isn't near the veloway? These people need to get a clue.
        Unenforceable rules are worthless.

        A second option would be to verify that your cache meets the rules, then
        start raising a stink.

        In my experience, geocaching.com is getting worse about playing the role of
        cache "police". If it were my cache, I would ask him to show me where it
        states in the rules for placing a cache that they can't be close together?
        Get on the forums and start yelling, email Jeremy, raise a stink. These
        punks need their admin privileges revoked. Rules are rules, if your cache
        meets them, then you have every right to raise a stink.

        Best I can tell, these people of nothing more than a bunch of overzealous
        pinheads that feel like they have some magical power to control the sport.
        geocaching.com isn't anything special. If they aren't careful, someone will
        come along offer a better site and knock them off their little pedestal.
        This is Austin after all, how long could it take a few of us geeks to
        replicate geocaching.com functionality on our own site after we get enough
        of this garbage?

        Apologies for the rant, but I've been dealing with this type of person all
        week and I'm fed up.

        Flame proof suit now on.
        Later
        Firecacher

        > All my other rejections are virtual rejections because I haven't devised
        > a system yet that will prove to the admins that a person has visited the
        > site. The coords from the new movie cache to the Veloway cache (the
        > Lance Armstrong one) is about 150 feet .. Maybe more, but I didn't
        > really think it was that important. I'm sick of fighting the geocache
        > admins over little tiny things and I doubt I'm going to go out of my way
        > to hide any more caches. I didn't realize this sport was going to have
        > so many restrictions .. Stupid restrictions. Has anyone else had many
        > problems like this? It's getting very tiresome.
        >
        > -Daniel

      • Roger Banks
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
          My own passive/agressive approach would be to post it
          with bogus coords and then change them as soon as it's
          approved. The approvers don't know anything about the
          caching scene here in Austin. They wouldn't know a
          good cache site from a bad one around here. We know if
          you post a cache it will be worth going after. There
          is not a whole lot we can do to educate the approvers
          about these types of things either.

          -- Roger

          --- danmcgauley <hawkeye@...> wrote:
          > Can anyone out there in our group help me out with
          > the geocaching
          > admin people? I've posted several new caches
          > lately, and they all
          > keep getting rejected. My latest one, the movie
          > cache replacement,
          > got denied today. Here's the message from
          > "erik88l-r":
          >
          > "I'm sorry folks, but we can't post a cache that is
          > so close to an
          > existing cache that a person looking for one would
          > find the other.
          > I would estimate that your Movie Cache is 50 or 75
          > feet from this
          > one

          > geocaching.com admin"
          >
          > I swear, I'm getting sick and tired of this sport
          > everytime I have
          > to deal with these people. Can anyone help? The
          > new cache isn't
          > THAT close to the other one, and I don't understand
          > why it matters.
          >
          > -Daniel

          =====
          Uncle Rojelio
          Austin, TX

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Daniel McGauley
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
            Thanks for all the emails and support guys. I lost my battle with
            Jeremy, the 'owner' of geocaching.com, so that's it for me as far as
            charter memberships go. I'm not going to support them one dollar more,
            and if this sport eventually dies, it's their fault.

            For now, I just took advantage of their crappy database design and
            copied over my Texas Movie Cache #3 (the Top Notch Burger cache that was
            kinda hard anyway since there were tons of movies shot there) with the
            new Movie Exchange cache.

            I had a giant multi-Halloween cache set for release with a bunch of
            surprises, but that's it for me. I'm not hiding any more. I've wasted
            far too much of my time fighting with those bastards that I'm done
            hiding these. I still can't believe how many fights I've had over
            something so simple and silly. Oh well.

            -Dan

            --- danmcgauley <hawkeye@...> wrote:
            > Can anyone out there in our group help me out with
            > the geocaching
            > admin people? I've posted several new caches
            > lately, and they all
            > keep getting rejected. My latest one, the movie
            > cache replacement,
            > got denied today. Here's the message from
            > "erik88l-r":
            >
            > "I'm sorry folks, but we can't post a cache that is
            > so close to an
            > existing cache that a person looking for one would
            > find the other.
            > I would estimate that your Movie Cache is 50 or 75
            > feet from this
            > one

            > geocaching.com admin"
            >
            > I swear, I'm getting sick and tired of this sport
            > everytime I have
            > to deal with these people. Can anyone help? The
            > new cache isn't
            > THAT close to the other one, and I don't understand
            > why it matters.
            >
            > -Daniel

            =====
            Uncle Rojelio
            Austin, TX

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 27, 2002
              So, anyone up for telling Jeremy and his stupid buddies to take a leap!
              This stupid b****** needs his head examined. Anyone that has paid for a
              charter membership should email Jeremy and let him know how we feel. I'm
              100% in support of Dan on this one and will be sending my complaint off
              shortly.

              Regards
              David Gahagan aka FireCacher

              > Thanks for all the emails and support guys. I lost my battle with
              > Jeremy, the 'owner' of geocaching.com, so that's it for me as far as
              > charter memberships go. I'm not going to support them one dollar more,
              > and if this sport eventually dies, it's their fault.
              >
              > For now, I just took advantage of their crappy database design and
              > copied over my Texas Movie Cache #3 (the Top Notch Burger cache that was
              > kinda hard anyway since there were tons of movies shot there) with the
              > new Movie Exchange cache.
              >
              > I had a giant multi-Halloween cache set for release with a bunch of
              > surprises, but that's it for me. I'm not hiding any more. I've wasted
              > far too much of my time fighting with those bastards that I'm done
              > hiding these. I still can't believe how many fights I've had over
              > something so simple and silly. Oh well.
              >
              > -Dan

            • geo_texas_gal
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2002
                Oh, man, Dan! Please don't let their crappy behavior spoil the sport
                for you! This is OUR sport, not theirs - they just run a website. I
                have always enjoyed the caches you've placed (Britannia Manor is
                still one of my favorites), and I personally would hate to lose your
                contributions to the caching community here in Austin.

                Plus, your Halloweed multicache sounds like so much fun...

                Anything I can do to persuade you to come back? I'd be happy to post
                your caches under my name (and then switch to yours), to send emails
                on your behalf, whatever.

                They can't push around us Austinites!

                Melissa
                aka Texas-Gal