Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] whose FTF will reign supreme?

  • Christopher Holland
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
      I'll be placing the new coordinates provided by the pioneers in the
      redirector, probably Friday afternoon/evening. Thanks all.

      FYI, for our averaging we take a waypoint, walk away, walk back to the
      cache, and take another waypoint. Do that about ten times and then
      average them together (we use a Wabac Machine for the heavy
      calculating). Voila! We now have a very imprecise waypoint that will
      get you within 150 feet of the cache.

      OK, I blame the tree cover, not the math, but still.

      Chris

      On 6/2/05, Rich and Di <dirich@...> wrote:

      > Yeah, but I see you do too now! Congrats! Chris, I'll send you what I got
      > later this morning.
      >
      > Which leads to a question re averaging. (you'd think a statistician would
      > understand averaging) If I set my GPSr on a log while I log, and three
      > minutes later take a waypoint, is that WAAS averaging? Cause that's what I
      > did.
      >
      > I will say this about the final location. It's in the most obvious place,
      > given the redirector; ie, in the cedar.
      >
      > --Di

      http://www.stomptokyo.com/
    • Perrine Julie-ra5686
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
        Message
        You actually have to have reception from the WAAS satellite.  That shows up on my Vista as a letter D in the reception bars.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
          Chris,

          We did that when placing More Crystals in Garner SP. You can attest
          to how horrible those coords were, no? ;)

          Granted, we used an eTrex Yellow which was notoriously off both in
          hiding and finding. But WAAS-averaging for 2-3 mins with our 60CS
          makes for an exponential improvement in getting accurate coords.

          My $0.02. Always blame the foilage canopy. Or solar flares. ;)

        • Karen
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
            Gotta love the Geo Hotline.  Unfortunately I've lost ALL phone numbers from my Cell........!

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
              [Karen] I knew it had to e "obvious"  it was too large not to be!! I just ran out of time and patience.

               On 6/2/05, Rich and Di <dirich@...> wrote:

              > Yeah, but I see you do too
              now!  Congrats!  Chris, I'll send you what I got
              > later this
              morning.

              > Which leads to a question re
              averaging.  (you'd think a statistician would
              > understand
              averaging)  If I set my GPSr on a log while I log, and three

              minutes later take a waypoint, is that WAAS averaging?  Cause that's what I
              > did.
              >
              > I will say this about the
              final location.  It's in the most obvious place,
              > given the
              redirector; ie, in the cedar.

              > --Di

              Message:

              Message-----

              href="http://tinyurl.com/aj7kw">http://tinyurl.com/aj7kw
              href="http://www.stomptokyo.com/">http://www.stomptokyo.com/
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              Yahoo! Groups Links
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >
              >   >

              email to:

              >     c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
              Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              http://www.stomptokyo.com/
            • Lists
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                I went on a hike with DS's Cub Scout Pack today. I had meant to bring my
                GPSR but forgot it in the morning rush. In spite of being unprepared, the
                boys still found a cache. We TNLNSL, and I explained how the game
                works. I had the boys rehide the cache exactly where they found it and
                cover it well. I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                can't find it on gc.com anywhere. Does someone recognize this cache? Did
                we find a redirector of another cache? (It didn't look like it -- this
                was a camo can with swag in it.) I'd love to log it so the boys can see
                the find.

                Any info would be greatly appreciated.

                Cindy
              • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                  Are you sure it wasn't Uncle "Ro"jelio? That's the only thing I can think of that's close. That's not exactly on the trail.....

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                    On 6/2/05 at 1:57 PM Lists wrote:
                    >I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                    >that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                    >can't find it on gc.com anywhere.

                    Have you searched on <http://www.terracaching.com>?

                    Nedry
                  • Lowracer
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                      Sure, no problem. Glad to help. What were the coordinates?
                      ;-)

                      BTW don't the Cub Scouts have the motto "be prepared" like the Boy Scouts?

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Lists <lists@a...> wrote:
                      > I went on a hike with DS's Cub Scout Pack today. I had meant to
                      bring my
                      > GPSR but forgot it in the morning rush. In spite of being
                      unprepared, the
                      > boys still found a cache. We TNLNSL, and I explained how the game
                      > works. I had the boys rehide the cache exactly where they found it and
                      > cover it well. I didn't have anything to write down the name of the
                      cache
                      > that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the
                      title. I
                      > can't find it on gc.com anywhere. Does someone recognize this
                      cache? Did
                      > we find a redirector of another cache? (It didn't look like it --
                      this
                      > was a camo can with swag in it.) I'd love to log it so the boys can
                      see
                      > the find.
                      >
                      > Any info would be greatly appreciated.
                      >
                      > Cindy
                    • Lists
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                        Nope, not there either. The more I think about it, it was XXXX Road #1 or
                        Road XXXXX # 1 (I think -- of course, I could be way off base). I could
                        describe where we found it, but I'd rather do that offline, so I don't give
                        anything away. Let me know if if sounds familiar enough to you and you're
                        willing to read my description.

                        Thanks!

                        Cindy

                        At 02:17 PM 6/2/2005, you wrote:
                        >On 6/2/05 at 1:57 PM Lists wrote:
                        > >I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                        > >that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                        > >can't find it on gc.com anywhere.
                        >
                        >Have you searched on <http://www.terracaching.com>?
                        >
                        >Nedry
                        >

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Christopher Holland
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                          Actually, the Cub Scout Motto is "do your best."

                          On 6/2/05, Lowracer <lowracer@...> wrote:

                          > BTW don't the Cub Scouts have the motto "be prepared" like the Boy Scouts?

                          --
                          http://www.stomptokyo.com/
                        • maliabarth
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 5, 2005
                            I think the one that you found was GCC163, now called NGTA
                            Leftovers. The original cache was called NGTA Road Trip #1, and was
                            held in Emma Long Park. It probably contains the original logbook
                            from the first cache, which was then archived and relocated to be
                            the cache above.

                            http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7dc02ab2-622c-
                            4ce7-9264-c23012076c45

                            Hopefully this link will help you, if not, you have the waypoint
                            that you can plug in at GC.

                            Have fun!

                            Malia