RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] whose FTF will reign supreme?

  • Rich and Di
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
      Message
      Yeah, but I see you do too now!  Congrats!  Chris, I'll send you what I got later this morning.

      Which leads to a question re averaging.  (you'd think a statistician would understand averaging)  If I set my GPSr on a log while I log, and three minutes later take a waypoint, is that WAAS averaging?  Cause that's what I did.

      I will say this about the final location.  It's in the most obvious place, given the redirector; ie, in the cedar.

      --Di
      From: Karen karenj@...
      Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:50:36 -0500
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com

      3.52 mi  I'm on it!
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
        I'll be placing the new coordinates provided by the pioneers in the
        redirector, probably Friday afternoon/evening. Thanks all.

        FYI, for our averaging we take a waypoint, walk away, walk back to the
        cache, and take another waypoint. Do that about ten times and then
        average them together (we use a Wabac Machine for the heavy
        calculating). Voila! We now have a very imprecise waypoint that will
        get you within 150 feet of the cache.

        OK, I blame the tree cover, not the math, but still.

        Chris

        On 6/2/05, Rich and Di <dirich@...> wrote:

        > Yeah, but I see you do too now! Congrats! Chris, I'll send you what I got
        > later this morning.
        >
        > Which leads to a question re averaging. (you'd think a statistician would
        > understand averaging) If I set my GPSr on a log while I log, and three
        > minutes later take a waypoint, is that WAAS averaging? Cause that's what I
        > did.
        >
        > I will say this about the final location. It's in the most obvious place,
        > given the redirector; ie, in the cedar.
        >
        > --Di

        http://www.stomptokyo.com/
      • Perrine Julie-ra5686
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
          Message
          You actually have to have reception from the WAAS satellite.  That shows up on my Vista as a letter D in the reception bars.

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
            Chris,

            We did that when placing More Crystals in Garner SP. You can attest
            to how horrible those coords were, no? ;)

            Granted, we used an eTrex Yellow which was notoriously off both in
            hiding and finding. But WAAS-averaging for 2-3 mins with our 60CS
            makes for an exponential improvement in getting accurate coords.

            My $0.02. Always blame the foilage canopy. Or solar flares. ;)

          • Karen
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
              Gotta love the Geo Hotline.  Unfortunately I've lost ALL phone numbers from my Cell........!

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                [Karen] I knew it had to e "obvious"  it was too large not to be!! I just ran out of time and patience.

                 On 6/2/05, Rich and Di <dirich@...> wrote:

                > Yeah, but I see you do too
                now!  Congrats!  Chris, I'll send you what I got
                > later this
                morning.

                > Which leads to a question re
                averaging.  (you'd think a statistician would
                > understand
                averaging)  If I set my GPSr on a log while I log, and three

                minutes later take a waypoint, is that WAAS averaging?  Cause that's what I
                > did.
                >
                > I will say this about the
                final location.  It's in the most obvious place,
                > given the
                redirector; ie, in the cedar.

                > --Di

                Message:

                Message-----

                href="http://tinyurl.com/aj7kw">http://tinyurl.com/aj7kw
                href="http://www.stomptokyo.com/">http://www.stomptokyo.com/
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                Yahoo! Groups Links
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >
                >   >

                email to:

                >     c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                http://www.stomptokyo.com/
              • Lists
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                  I went on a hike with DS's Cub Scout Pack today. I had meant to bring my
                  GPSR but forgot it in the morning rush. In spite of being unprepared, the
                  boys still found a cache. We TNLNSL, and I explained how the game
                  works. I had the boys rehide the cache exactly where they found it and
                  cover it well. I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                  that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                  can't find it on gc.com anywhere. Does someone recognize this cache? Did
                  we find a redirector of another cache? (It didn't look like it -- this
                  was a camo can with swag in it.) I'd love to log it so the boys can see
                  the find.

                  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

                  Cindy
                • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Are you sure it wasn't Uncle "Ro"jelio? That's the only thing I can think of that's close. That's not exactly on the trail.....

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                      On 6/2/05 at 1:57 PM Lists wrote:
                      >I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                      >that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                      >can't find it on gc.com anywhere.

                      Have you searched on <http://www.terracaching.com>?

                      Nedry
                    • Lowracer
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                        Sure, no problem. Glad to help. What were the coordinates?
                        ;-)

                        BTW don't the Cub Scouts have the motto "be prepared" like the Boy Scouts?

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Lists <lists@a...> wrote:
                        > I went on a hike with DS's Cub Scout Pack today. I had meant to
                        bring my
                        > GPSR but forgot it in the morning rush. In spite of being
                        unprepared, the
                        > boys still found a cache. We TNLNSL, and I explained how the game
                        > works. I had the boys rehide the cache exactly where they found it and
                        > cover it well. I didn't have anything to write down the name of the
                        cache
                        > that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the
                        title. I
                        > can't find it on gc.com anywhere. Does someone recognize this
                        cache? Did
                        > we find a redirector of another cache? (It didn't look like it --
                        this
                        > was a camo can with swag in it.) I'd love to log it so the boys can
                        see
                        > the find.
                        >
                        > Any info would be greatly appreciated.
                        >
                        > Cindy
                      • Lists
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                          Nope, not there either. The more I think about it, it was XXXX Road #1 or
                          Road XXXXX # 1 (I think -- of course, I could be way off base). I could
                          describe where we found it, but I'd rather do that offline, so I don't give
                          anything away. Let me know if if sounds familiar enough to you and you're
                          willing to read my description.

                          Thanks!

                          Cindy

                          At 02:17 PM 6/2/2005, you wrote:
                          >On 6/2/05 at 1:57 PM Lists wrote:
                          > >I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                          > >that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                          > >can't find it on gc.com anywhere.
                          >
                          >Have you searched on <http://www.terracaching.com>?
                          >
                          >Nedry
                          >

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Christopher Holland
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                            Actually, the Cub Scout Motto is "do your best."

                            On 6/2/05, Lowracer <lowracer@...> wrote:

                            > BTW don't the Cub Scouts have the motto "be prepared" like the Boy Scouts?

                            --
                            http://www.stomptokyo.com/
                          • maliabarth
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 5, 2005
                              I think the one that you found was GCC163, now called NGTA
                              Leftovers. The original cache was called NGTA Road Trip #1, and was
                              held in Emma Long Park. It probably contains the original logbook
                              from the first cache, which was then archived and relocated to be
                              the cache above.

                              http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7dc02ab2-622c-
                              4ce7-9264-c23012076c45

                              Hopefully this link will help you, if not, you have the waypoint
                              that you can plug in at GC.

                              Have fun!

                              Malia