RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] whose FTF will reign supreme?

  • Perrine Julie-ra5686
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2005
      Message
      Do you have updated coordinates for the final?
      From: Karen karenj@...
      Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:50:36 -0500
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com

      3.52 mi  I'm on it!
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
        Message
        Yeah, but I see you do too now!  Congrats!  Chris, I'll send you what I got later this morning.

        Which leads to a question re averaging.  (you'd think a statistician would understand averaging)  If I set my GPSr on a log while I log, and three minutes later take a waypoint, is that WAAS averaging?  Cause that's what I did.

        I will say this about the final location.  It's in the most obvious place, given the redirector; ie, in the cedar.

        --Di

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
          I'll be placing the new coordinates provided by the pioneers in the
          redirector, probably Friday afternoon/evening. Thanks all.

          FYI, for our averaging we take a waypoint, walk away, walk back to the
          cache, and take another waypoint. Do that about ten times and then
          average them together (we use a Wabac Machine for the heavy
          calculating). Voila! We now have a very imprecise waypoint that will
          get you within 150 feet of the cache.

          OK, I blame the tree cover, not the math, but still.

          Chris

          On 6/2/05, Rich and Di <dirich@...> wrote:

          > Yeah, but I see you do too now! Congrats! Chris, I'll send you what I got
          > later this morning.
          >
          > Which leads to a question re averaging. (you'd think a statistician would
          > understand averaging) If I set my GPSr on a log while I log, and three
          > minutes later take a waypoint, is that WAAS averaging? Cause that's what I
          > did.
          >
          > I will say this about the final location. It's in the most obvious place,
          > given the redirector; ie, in the cedar.
          >
          > --Di

          http://www.stomptokyo.com/
        • Perrine Julie-ra5686
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
            Message
            You actually have to have reception from the WAAS satellite.  That shows up on my Vista as a letter D in the reception bars.

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
              Chris,

              We did that when placing More Crystals in Garner SP. You can attest
              to how horrible those coords were, no? ;)

              Granted, we used an eTrex Yellow which was notoriously off both in
              hiding and finding. But WAAS-averaging for 2-3 mins with our 60CS
              makes for an exponential improvement in getting accurate coords.

              My $0.02. Always blame the foilage canopy. Or solar flares. ;)

            • Karen
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                Gotta love the Geo Hotline.  Unfortunately I've lost ALL phone numbers from my Cell........!

                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                  [Karen] I knew it had to e "obvious"  it was too large not to be!! I just ran out of time and patience.

                   On 6/2/05, Rich and Di <dirich@...> wrote:

                  > Yeah, but I see you do too
                  now!  Congrats!  Chris, I'll send you what I got
                  > later this
                  morning.

                  > Which leads to a question re
                  averaging.  (you'd think a statistician would
                  > understand
                  averaging)  If I set my GPSr on a log while I log, and three

                  minutes later take a waypoint, is that WAAS averaging?  Cause that's what I
                  > did.
                  >
                  > I will say this about the
                  final location.  It's in the most obvious place,
                  > given the
                  redirector; ie, in the cedar.

                  > --Di

                  Message:

                  Message-----

                  href="http://tinyurl.com/aj7kw">http://tinyurl.com/aj7kw
                  href="http://www.stomptokyo.com/">http://www.stomptokyo.com/
                  >   >
                  >   >
                  >   >
                  >   >
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >   >
                  >   >
                  >   >
                  >   >
                  >   >
                  >   >
                  >   >

                  email to:

                  >     c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                  Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                  http://www.stomptokyo.com/
                • Lists
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                    I went on a hike with DS's Cub Scout Pack today. I had meant to bring my
                    GPSR but forgot it in the morning rush. In spite of being unprepared, the
                    boys still found a cache. We TNLNSL, and I explained how the game
                    works. I had the boys rehide the cache exactly where they found it and
                    cover it well. I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                    that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                    can't find it on gc.com anywhere. Does someone recognize this cache? Did
                    we find a redirector of another cache? (It didn't look like it -- this
                    was a camo can with swag in it.) I'd love to log it so the boys can see
                    the find.

                    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

                    Cindy
                  • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                      Are you sure it wasn't Uncle "Ro"jelio? That's the only thing I can think of that's close. That's not exactly on the trail.....

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                        On 6/2/05 at 1:57 PM Lists wrote:
                        >I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                        >that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                        >can't find it on gc.com anywhere.

                        Have you searched on <http://www.terracaching.com>?

                        Nedry
                      • Lowracer
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                          Sure, no problem. Glad to help. What were the coordinates?
                          ;-)

                          BTW don't the Cub Scouts have the motto "be prepared" like the Boy Scouts?

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Lists <lists@a...> wrote:
                          > I went on a hike with DS's Cub Scout Pack today. I had meant to
                          bring my
                          > GPSR but forgot it in the morning rush. In spite of being
                          unprepared, the
                          > boys still found a cache. We TNLNSL, and I explained how the game
                          > works. I had the boys rehide the cache exactly where they found it and
                          > cover it well. I didn't have anything to write down the name of the
                          cache
                          > that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the
                          title. I
                          > can't find it on gc.com anywhere. Does someone recognize this
                          cache? Did
                          > we find a redirector of another cache? (It didn't look like it --
                          this
                          > was a camo can with swag in it.) I'd love to log it so the boys can
                          see
                          > the find.
                          >
                          > Any info would be greatly appreciated.
                          >
                          > Cindy
                        • Lists
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                            Nope, not there either. The more I think about it, it was XXXX Road #1 or
                            Road XXXXX # 1 (I think -- of course, I could be way off base). I could
                            describe where we found it, but I'd rather do that offline, so I don't give
                            anything away. Let me know if if sounds familiar enough to you and you're
                            willing to read my description.

                            Thanks!

                            Cindy

                            At 02:17 PM 6/2/2005, you wrote:
                            >On 6/2/05 at 1:57 PM Lists wrote:
                            > >I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                            > >that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                            > >can't find it on gc.com anywhere.
                            >
                            >Have you searched on <http://www.terracaching.com>?
                            >
                            >Nedry
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Christopher Holland
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                              Actually, the Cub Scout Motto is "do your best."

                              On 6/2/05, Lowracer <lowracer@...> wrote:

                              > BTW don't the Cub Scouts have the motto "be prepared" like the Boy Scouts?

                              --
                              http://www.stomptokyo.com/
                            • maliabarth
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 5, 2005
                                I think the one that you found was GCC163, now called NGTA
                                Leftovers. The original cache was called NGTA Road Trip #1, and was
                                held in Emma Long Park. It probably contains the original logbook
                                from the first cache, which was then archived and relocated to be
                                the cache above.

                                http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7dc02ab2-622c-
                                4ce7-9264-c23012076c45

                                Hopefully this link will help you, if not, you have the waypoint
                                that you can plug in at GC.

                                Have fun!

                                Malia