RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] whose FTF will reign supreme?

  • Rich and Di
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2005
      Message
      It's there!  I am covered in cedar scratches, but I found it.  I had the same trouble as Karen at the final location, but I called the cache owner who pointed me in the right direction.

      I hate cedar.  I really hate cedar.

      --Di
      From: Karen karenj@...
      Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:50:36 -0500
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com

      3.52 mi  I'm on it!
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2005
        Message
        Do you have updated coordinates for the final?

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
          Message
          Yeah, but I see you do too now!  Congrats!  Chris, I'll send you what I got later this morning.

          Which leads to a question re averaging.  (you'd think a statistician would understand averaging)  If I set my GPSr on a log while I log, and three minutes later take a waypoint, is that WAAS averaging?  Cause that's what I did.

          I will say this about the final location.  It's in the most obvious place, given the redirector; ie, in the cedar.

          --Di

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
            I'll be placing the new coordinates provided by the pioneers in the
            redirector, probably Friday afternoon/evening. Thanks all.

            FYI, for our averaging we take a waypoint, walk away, walk back to the
            cache, and take another waypoint. Do that about ten times and then
            average them together (we use a Wabac Machine for the heavy
            calculating). Voila! We now have a very imprecise waypoint that will
            get you within 150 feet of the cache.

            OK, I blame the tree cover, not the math, but still.

            Chris

            On 6/2/05, Rich and Di <dirich@...> wrote:

            > Yeah, but I see you do too now! Congrats! Chris, I'll send you what I got
            > later this morning.
            >
            > Which leads to a question re averaging. (you'd think a statistician would
            > understand averaging) If I set my GPSr on a log while I log, and three
            > minutes later take a waypoint, is that WAAS averaging? Cause that's what I
            > did.
            >
            > I will say this about the final location. It's in the most obvious place,
            > given the redirector; ie, in the cedar.
            >
            > --Di

            http://www.stomptokyo.com/
          • Perrine Julie-ra5686
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
              Message
              You actually have to have reception from the WAAS satellite.  That shows up on my Vista as a letter D in the reception bars.

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                Chris,

                We did that when placing More Crystals in Garner SP. You can attest
                to how horrible those coords were, no? ;)

                Granted, we used an eTrex Yellow which was notoriously off both in
                hiding and finding. But WAAS-averaging for 2-3 mins with our 60CS
                makes for an exponential improvement in getting accurate coords.

                My $0.02. Always blame the foilage canopy. Or solar flares. ;)

              • Karen
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                  Gotta love the Geo Hotline.  Unfortunately I've lost ALL phone numbers from my Cell........!

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                    [Karen] I knew it had to e "obvious"  it was too large not to be!! I just ran out of time and patience.

                     On 6/2/05, Rich and Di <dirich@...> wrote:

                    > Yeah, but I see you do too
                    now!  Congrats!  Chris, I'll send you what I got
                    > later this
                    morning.

                    > Which leads to a question re
                    averaging.  (you'd think a statistician would
                    > understand
                    averaging)  If I set my GPSr on a log while I log, and three

                    minutes later take a waypoint, is that WAAS averaging?  Cause that's what I
                    > did.
                    >
                    > I will say this about the
                    final location.  It's in the most obvious place,
                    > given the
                    redirector; ie, in the cedar.

                    > --Di

                    Message:

                    Message-----

                    href="http://tinyurl.com/aj7kw">http://tinyurl.com/aj7kw
                    href="http://www.stomptokyo.com/">http://www.stomptokyo.com/
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >
                    >   >

                    email to:

                    >     c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                    Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                    http://www.stomptokyo.com/
                  • Lists
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                      I went on a hike with DS's Cub Scout Pack today. I had meant to bring my
                      GPSR but forgot it in the morning rush. In spite of being unprepared, the
                      boys still found a cache. We TNLNSL, and I explained how the game
                      works. I had the boys rehide the cache exactly where they found it and
                      cover it well. I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                      that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                      can't find it on gc.com anywhere. Does someone recognize this cache? Did
                      we find a redirector of another cache? (It didn't look like it -- this
                      was a camo can with swag in it.) I'd love to log it so the boys can see
                      the find.

                      Any info would be greatly appreciated.

                      Cindy
                    • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                        Are you sure it wasn't Uncle "Ro"jelio? That's the only thing I can think of that's close. That's not exactly on the trail.....

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                          On 6/2/05 at 1:57 PM Lists wrote:
                          >I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                          >that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                          >can't find it on gc.com anywhere.

                          Have you searched on <http://www.terracaching.com>?

                          Nedry
                        • Lowracer
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                            Sure, no problem. Glad to help. What were the coordinates?
                            ;-)

                            BTW don't the Cub Scouts have the motto "be prepared" like the Boy Scouts?

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Lists <lists@a...> wrote:
                            > I went on a hike with DS's Cub Scout Pack today. I had meant to
                            bring my
                            > GPSR but forgot it in the morning rush. In spite of being
                            unprepared, the
                            > boys still found a cache. We TNLNSL, and I explained how the game
                            > works. I had the boys rehide the cache exactly where they found it and
                            > cover it well. I didn't have anything to write down the name of the
                            cache
                            > that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the
                            title. I
                            > can't find it on gc.com anywhere. Does someone recognize this
                            cache? Did
                            > we find a redirector of another cache? (It didn't look like it --
                            this
                            > was a camo can with swag in it.) I'd love to log it so the boys can
                            see
                            > the find.
                            >
                            > Any info would be greatly appreciated.
                            >
                            > Cindy
                          • Lists
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                              Nope, not there either. The more I think about it, it was XXXX Road #1 or
                              Road XXXXX # 1 (I think -- of course, I could be way off base). I could
                              describe where we found it, but I'd rather do that offline, so I don't give
                              anything away. Let me know if if sounds familiar enough to you and you're
                              willing to read my description.

                              Thanks!

                              Cindy

                              At 02:17 PM 6/2/2005, you wrote:
                              >On 6/2/05 at 1:57 PM Lists wrote:
                              > >I didn't have anything to write down the name of the cache
                              > >that was on the logbook, but it was something with "Road" in the title. I
                              > >can't find it on gc.com anywhere.
                              >
                              >Have you searched on <http://www.terracaching.com>?
                              >
                              >Nedry
                              >

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Christopher Holland
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
                                Actually, the Cub Scout Motto is "do your best."

                                On 6/2/05, Lowracer <lowracer@...> wrote:

                                > BTW don't the Cub Scouts have the motto "be prepared" like the Boy Scouts?

                                --
                                http://www.stomptokyo.com/
                              • maliabarth
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 5, 2005
                                  I think the one that you found was GCC163, now called NGTA
                                  Leftovers. The original cache was called NGTA Road Trip #1, and was
                                  held in Emma Long Park. It probably contains the original logbook
                                  from the first cache, which was then archived and relocated to be
                                  the cache above.

                                  http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7dc02ab2-622c-
                                  4ce7-9264-c23012076c45

                                  Hopefully this link will help you, if not, you have the waypoint
                                  that you can plug in at GC.

                                  Have fun!

                                  Malia