Dan, Kim and Ryan need help!

  • danmcgauley
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 25, 2002
      Can anyone out there in our group help me out with the geocaching
      admin people? I've posted several new caches lately, and they all
      keep getting rejected. My latest one, the movie cache replacement,
      got denied today. Here's the message from "erik88l-r":

      "I'm sorry folks, but we can't post a cache that is so close to an
      existing cache that a person looking for one would find the other.
      I would estimate that your Movie Cache is 50 or 75 feet from this
      one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4429
      geocaching.com admin"

      I swear, I'm getting sick and tired of this sport everytime I have
      to deal with these people. Can anyone help? The new cache isn't
      THAT close to the other one, and I don't understand why it matters.

      -Daniel
    • jnbarth
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 25, 2002
        Just curious.... what are the coordinates? It would be interesting
        to have you measure from one cache to the other, then send Erik a
        message saying how far apart they really are. I am assuming that you
        have found that other cache, and know where it is.

        What are the reasons the others have been rejected? Does there seem
        to be a pattern, or anything?

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "danmcgauley" <hawkeye@c...>
        wrote:
        > Can anyone out there in our group help me out with the geocaching
        > admin people? I've posted several new caches lately, and they all
        > keep getting rejected. My latest one, the movie cache replacement,
        > got denied today. Here's the message from "erik88l-r":
        >
        > "I'm sorry folks, but we can't post a cache that is so close to an
        > existing cache that a person looking for one would find the other.
        > I would estimate that your Movie Cache is 50 or 75 feet from this
        > one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4429
        > geocaching.com admin"
        >
        > I swear, I'm getting sick and tired of this sport everytime I have
        > to deal with these people. Can anyone help? The new cache isn't
        > THAT close to the other one, and I don't understand why it matters.
        >
        > -Daniel
      • Daniel McGauley
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 25, 2002
          All my other rejections are virtual rejections because I haven't devised
          a system yet that will prove to the admins that a person has visited the
          site. The coords from the new movie cache to the Veloway cache (the
          Lance Armstrong one) is about 150 feet .. Maybe more, but I didn't
          really think it was that important. I'm sick of fighting the geocache
          admins over little tiny things and I doubt I'm going to go out of my way
          to hide any more caches. I didn't realize this sport was going to have
          so many restrictions .. Stupid restrictions. Has anyone else had many
          problems like this? It's getting very tiresome.

          -Daniel

          wrote:
          > Can anyone out there in our group help me out with the geocaching
          > admin people? I've posted several new caches lately, and they all
          > keep getting rejected. My latest one, the movie cache replacement,
          > got denied today. Here's the message from "erik88l-r":
          >
          > "I'm sorry folks, but we can't post a cache that is so close to an
          > existing cache that a person looking for one would find the other.
          > I would estimate that your Movie Cache is 50 or 75 feet from this
          > one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4429
          > geocaching.com admin"
          >
          > I swear, I'm getting sick and tired of this sport everytime I have
          > to deal with these people. Can anyone help? The new cache isn't
          > THAT close to the other one, and I don't understand why it matters.
          >
          > -Daniel

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • David Gahagan
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
            Quite frankly, there are two ways to solve the problem.

            One way to beat these fools at their own game is to post the cache with
            different coordinates, get it approved, then change it. How are they going
            to know that is isn't near the veloway? These people need to get a clue.
            Unenforceable rules are worthless.

            A second option would be to verify that your cache meets the rules, then
            start raising a stink.

            In my experience, geocaching.com is getting worse about playing the role of
            cache "police". If it were my cache, I would ask him to show me where it
            states in the rules for placing a cache that they can't be close together?
            Get on the forums and start yelling, email Jeremy, raise a stink. These
            punks need their admin privileges revoked. Rules are rules, if your cache
            meets them, then you have every right to raise a stink.

            Best I can tell, these people of nothing more than a bunch of overzealous
            pinheads that feel like they have some magical power to control the sport.
            geocaching.com isn't anything special. If they aren't careful, someone will
            come along offer a better site and knock them off their little pedestal.
            This is Austin after all, how long could it take a few of us geeks to
            replicate geocaching.com functionality on our own site after we get enough
            of this garbage?

            Apologies for the rant, but I've been dealing with this type of person all
            week and I'm fed up.

            Flame proof suit now on.
            Later
            Firecacher

            > All my other rejections are virtual rejections because I haven't devised
            > a system yet that will prove to the admins that a person has visited the
            > site. The coords from the new movie cache to the Veloway cache (the
            > Lance Armstrong one) is about 150 feet .. Maybe more, but I didn't
            > really think it was that important. I'm sick of fighting the geocache
            > admins over little tiny things and I doubt I'm going to go out of my way
            > to hide any more caches. I didn't realize this sport was going to have
            > so many restrictions .. Stupid restrictions. Has anyone else had many
            > problems like this? It's getting very tiresome.
            >
            > -Daniel

          • Roger Banks
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
              My own passive/agressive approach would be to post it
              with bogus coords and then change them as soon as it's
              approved. The approvers don't know anything about the
              caching scene here in Austin. They wouldn't know a
              good cache site from a bad one around here. We know if
              you post a cache it will be worth going after. There
              is not a whole lot we can do to educate the approvers
              about these types of things either.

              -- Roger

              --- danmcgauley <hawkeye@...> wrote:
              > Can anyone out there in our group help me out with
              > the geocaching
              > admin people? I've posted several new caches
              > lately, and they all
              > keep getting rejected. My latest one, the movie
              > cache replacement,
              > got denied today. Here's the message from
              > "erik88l-r":
              >
              > "I'm sorry folks, but we can't post a cache that is
              > so close to an
              > existing cache that a person looking for one would
              > find the other.
              > I would estimate that your Movie Cache is 50 or 75
              > feet from this
              > one

              > geocaching.com admin"
              >
              > I swear, I'm getting sick and tired of this sport
              > everytime I have
              > to deal with these people. Can anyone help? The
              > new cache isn't
              > THAT close to the other one, and I don't understand
              > why it matters.
              >
              > -Daniel

              =====
              Uncle Rojelio
              Austin, TX

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Daniel McGauley
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
                Thanks for all the emails and support guys. I lost my battle with
                Jeremy, the 'owner' of geocaching.com, so that's it for me as far as
                charter memberships go. I'm not going to support them one dollar more,
                and if this sport eventually dies, it's their fault.

                For now, I just took advantage of their crappy database design and
                copied over my Texas Movie Cache #3 (the Top Notch Burger cache that was
                kinda hard anyway since there were tons of movies shot there) with the
                new Movie Exchange cache.

                I had a giant multi-Halloween cache set for release with a bunch of
                surprises, but that's it for me. I'm not hiding any more. I've wasted
                far too much of my time fighting with those bastards that I'm done
                hiding these. I still can't believe how many fights I've had over
                something so simple and silly. Oh well.

                -Dan

                --- danmcgauley <hawkeye@...> wrote:
                > Can anyone out there in our group help me out with
                > the geocaching
                > admin people? I've posted several new caches
                > lately, and they all
                > keep getting rejected. My latest one, the movie
                > cache replacement,
                > got denied today. Here's the message from
                > "erik88l-r":
                >
                > "I'm sorry folks, but we can't post a cache that is
                > so close to an
                > existing cache that a person looking for one would
                > find the other.
                > I would estimate that your Movie Cache is 50 or 75
                > feet from this
                > one

                > geocaching.com admin"
                >
                > I swear, I'm getting sick and tired of this sport
                > everytime I have
                > to deal with these people. Can anyone help? The
                > new cache isn't
                > THAT close to the other one, and I don't understand
                > why it matters.
                >
                > -Daniel

                =====
                Uncle Rojelio
                Austin, TX

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 27, 2002
                  So, anyone up for telling Jeremy and his stupid buddies to take a leap!
                  This stupid b****** needs his head examined. Anyone that has paid for a
                  charter membership should email Jeremy and let him know how we feel. I'm
                  100% in support of Dan on this one and will be sending my complaint off
                  shortly.

                  Regards
                  David Gahagan aka FireCacher

                  > Thanks for all the emails and support guys. I lost my battle with
                  > Jeremy, the 'owner' of geocaching.com, so that's it for me as far as
                  > charter memberships go. I'm not going to support them one dollar more,
                  > and if this sport eventually dies, it's their fault.
                  >
                  > For now, I just took advantage of their crappy database design and
                  > copied over my Texas Movie Cache #3 (the Top Notch Burger cache that was
                  > kinda hard anyway since there were tons of movies shot there) with the
                  > new Movie Exchange cache.
                  >
                  > I had a giant multi-Halloween cache set for release with a bunch of
                  > surprises, but that's it for me. I'm not hiding any more. I've wasted
                  > far too much of my time fighting with those bastards that I'm done
                  > hiding these. I still can't believe how many fights I've had over
                  > something so simple and silly. Oh well.
                  >
                  > -Dan

                • geo_texas_gal
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 28, 2002
                    Oh, man, Dan! Please don't let their crappy behavior spoil the sport
                    for you! This is OUR sport, not theirs - they just run a website. I
                    have always enjoyed the caches you've placed (Britannia Manor is
                    still one of my favorites), and I personally would hate to lose your
                    contributions to the caching community here in Austin.

                    Plus, your Halloweed multicache sounds like so much fun...

                    Anything I can do to persuade you to come back? I'd be happy to post
                    your caches under my name (and then switch to yours), to send emails
                    on your behalf, whatever.

                    They can't push around us Austinites!

                    Melissa
                    aka Texas-Gal