Demise of a Dot Com

  • Nick Silkey
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2005
      I finally made the trek to snag this cache.

      The question is: what failed startup does the cache title refer to?
      Were they located in the white building next to the trailhead leading
      to Demise?

      Thanks.
    • Kevin Mefford
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2005
        That would be Agillion...I was actually "lucky" enough to be part of the
        marketing research company that evaluated the consumer response to their
        superbowl ad. It wasn't positive.

        http://slate.msn.com/id/1004498/

        http://www.disobey.com/ghostsites/show_exhibit/agillion

        http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2003/04/14/daily48.html

        Agillion, which offered a Web service that helped businesses maintain vital
        information about their customers, filed for bankruptcy in July 2001 with
        about $100 in the bank. Just 15 months before, Agillion had $30 million in
        the bank, according to the suit.

        Between the product launch date, Feb. 23, 2000, and the bankruptcy filing
        more than a year later, Agillion had only a "few dozen subscribers" to its
        Web-based service, the suit claims.

        "Their revenue was so inconsequential that management never recorded a
        single dollar in revenue in their internal bookkeeping," the suit alleges.
        Despite the poor performance, "Agillion's management increased their
        wasteful spending," the suit states.

        I finally made the trek to snag this cache.

        The question is: what failed startup does the cache title refer to?
        Were they located in the white building next to the trailhead leading
        to Demise?

        Thanks.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Nick Silkey