Re: WHAT HAPPENED, GEOCACHERS????????

  • Wendy
    Message 1 of 29 , May 2, 2005
      We would have loved to have made it to this event. However, with our
      little one due just around the corner, we don't want to be wondering
      to far from home. Let us know for when it is rescheduled and we will
      try our best to be there for it.

      -Wendy
    • David Campbell
      Message 2 of 29 , May 2, 2005
        Hi, cachers.  I've never been to a geocaching event and I'd love to attend one, but my schedule keeps conflicting.  After all, I have four active boys and a dog and even a husband.
        My excuses:
        1) I don't know anybody to form a team.  True.  My ID is really a family ID so we could maybe be a team together, but I really do most of the caching alone or with my youngest tagging along.  The only other cacher I know is my brother, but he's in Arkansas.
        2) I'm not sure how to play.  True.  But I read about it and it sounds fun.
        3) All day is too long.  9 - 2 really is too long for me, because a) I bring my 3-year-old who wouldn't last that long OR b) I leave my 3-year-old with my hubby who wouldn't last that long!
        4) My real excuse: I'm going out of town for the weekend to be with my mom, or I might try to make it.  Most of the events occur on weekends when we already have plans.
        On another note, when I'm traveling this weekend, I'm aiming to reach that 100 mark.  Only 21 to go!  Then I'll get my first cache or two hidden.
        Lisa Campbell

        Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...> wrote:
        Gang,
        JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event that just got cancelled due to lack of signup.  I KNOW first hand that everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if you all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response than they got.

        I'm sure this was going to be a fun event, and I'm POSITIVE many of you were planning on coming but just hadn't signed up yet.

        I want to make sure people who want to plan events FOR ALL OF US don't get discouraged, so I'm going to ask you to tell me:

        What prevented you from signing up, if you were thinking about coming?

        I'm going to list some reasons, but I'd really like it if you would post a note with a brief message that would help us keep these events alive.

        I don't know anybody to form a team.

        I'm not sure how to play.

        All day is too long.

        I can't afford it.

        I just forgot.

        I was waiting until the last minute, but I was really intending to come.

        Hiding something in advance was more than I wanted to do.

        What else???????

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Perrine Julie-ra5686
        Message 3 of 29 , May 2, 2005
          Message
          Friends, I'm not asking you to justify why you didn't come to this event.  I'm trying to figure out how to get more people to RSVP earlier.  I don't want to be the event POLICE.  I just know how it is to plan stuff and not know until the end if anyone is coming.  Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't.  Depending on the event.

          Message 4 of 29 , May 2, 2005
            He makes up for the frustration with his post cache feasts!

            Message 5 of 29 , May 2, 2005
              If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass.  Yeah... he was just being a smart ass.    ;o)
              Message 6 of 29 , May 2, 2005

                Me???? Never.! When have I ever been a smart ass? :-P

                Just happens this time I was serious. I guess it’s the boy that cried wolf deal.

                We seem to have a classic case of the “Tragedy Of the Commons.”

                P.S.

                Julie left out the one Category that I needed. “You are banned form the site and cannot even lookup GeoBowling.”  That’s my reason.

                Thanks

                Grajek

                A.K.A

                El Che!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                Viva La Terracaching.

                On 5/2/2005 6:24:01 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                > If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass.  Yeah... he was just

                > being a smart ass.    ;o)

                style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Perrine Julie-ra5686

                >  Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 3:00 PM

                >  To: 'CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.

                > com'
                >
                >  Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] WHAT
                HAPPENED, GEOCACHERS????????

                > Gang,

              • Lowracer
                Message 7 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                  Jeff we know you have a number of evil sockpuppets for clandestine
                  site access...

                  BTW, Just did a search of this group and noticed that of the two
                  messages I found promoting the event initially, neither had a link to
                  the event page on geocaching.com. The first actual link I could find
                  was posted today in response to Grajek's question.

                  In the future I would suggest whenever someone posts an event and
                  advertises it here, put a link to the cache page in your message to
                  increase RSVP participation. Give folks something to click on instead
                  of having them cut and paste the waypoint ID into the search page on
                  GC.com (if they even know how to do this, many are new and might not
                  know). Don't make the participants have to work hard to find your
                  event page.

                  Also, when you post your link, use www.tinyurl.com since URLs can
                  'word-wrap' and this breaks them.

                  If all else fails, getting an endorsement from Moosiegirl can't hurt
                  your turnout...

                  -mark.
                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>

                • Grajek
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                    I would never Violate the Terms of Use of any site. LMAOROFLLOL

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                      Message
                      I can't help you.  This is my pattern:

                      I take notice of a future event that I have an interest in.

                      When the date nears I reconsider the event in lieu of
                      anything else that may have come since I first heard of it.

                      The day before, I decide whether I will go to the event.

                      UNLESS...

                      I have to buy tickets in advance to ensure a good seat or
                      to get a seat at all.
                      or...
                      if it's something I really, really want to do...

                      I hardly ever commit to an event so far in advance because
                      I may have to give up something else that comes up later

                      Doc Geo

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                          Message
                          I don't really know anyone to form a team. I don't really know that many people in San Antonio. I just started Geocaching so I am not very good at events.

                          Kat C.

                          Message 12 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                            <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
                            > Gang,
                            > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
                            that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand that
                            everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if you
                            all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this
                            together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response
                            than they got.

                            To tell you the truth, I've been just plain too busy to even look at
                            this and didn't realize it was a team thing and that you had to sign
                            up. I'm sorry, J&J! Entirely MY BAD.

                            Candy
                          • Essiar
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                              Awwwwwwwww..... thank you Mo. :-)

                              > He makes up for the frustration with his post cache feasts!

                              GEOCACHERS????????

                              > It's the honest truth ... I hate you for many reasons ... CH ...
                              Sixty
                              > Sick ... Take a Nap ... ;)
                              >
                              > On 5/2/05, Essiar <essiar@t...> wrote:
                              > > ROFLMAO!!!
                              > > Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and
                              > > > I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ...
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • jnjwalla
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                Thanks to MCP for starting this thread and thanks for the
                                When we scheduled this event, we suspected that this might be a
                                hectic
                                weekend for everyone. It just so happens that this was the ONLY
                                free
                                weekend we had between the Texas Challenge and Memorial Day. We
                                wanted to hold the event before the Texas summer settled in. This
                                is
                                the first event we've hosted - so let's just call it a learning
                                experience.

                                We still believe that Geobowling could be a lot of fun so we're
                                going
                                to try again in the fall - like a Sunday in late September.

                                <candylind@e...> wrote:
                                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Perrine Julie-
                                ra5686
                                > <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
                                > > Gang,
                                > > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
                                > that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand
                                that
                                > everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if
                                you
                                > all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this
                                > together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response
                                > than they got.
                                >
                                > To tell you the truth, I've been just plain too busy to even look
                                at
                                > this and didn't realize it was a team thing and that you had to
                                sign
                                > up. I'm sorry, J&J! Entirely MY BAD.
                                >
                                > Candy
                              • joanwhistler
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 4, 2005
                                  Julie, you didn't list my excuse ... Hobbling around on crutches
                                  after foot surgery! Hopefully only a few more weeks of this and
                                  then I'll be able to get back out on the trails!

                                  Joan