Google maps - Geocaching - Terracaching integration

  • jg
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 1:21 PM
      For any of you out there that are users of both google maps and the
      Firefox browser, I put together a couple scripts for google maps that
      will give you links to directly view any nearby geocaches/terracaches
      for the map that you are currently looking at. Should work even if
      you pan or zoom the map.

      If you'd like to try it out:

      1) Have Firefox installed.
      2) Install GreaseMonkey (if not already installed) at
      http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/index.html
      3) Point to either
      http://home.austin.rr.com/joshgunnar/userscripts/gmapscaches.user.js

      for Geocaching.com and/or

      http://home.austin.rr.com/joshgunnar/userscripts/gmapsterracaches.user.js

      for Terracaching links

      4) While viewing one of the scripts from above in your browser, select
      'Install User Script...' from the Tools menu of Firefox.
      5) Load a map from maps.google.com and notice the cache links on the
      right-hand side. They will pop up a new window of caches closest to
      the center point of the map when clicked.

      This has helped me find caches in new places since I don't have
      premium pan/zoom membership on geocaching.com. Hope it's useful to
      someone else besides me!

      Josh (bit_runner)
    • Lowracer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 3:58 PM
        Hi Josh,

        Cool scripts. Thanks! Now if you can only get google to draw the
        caches ON the map itself... ;-)

        Of course TC.com has that feature already, but it would be nice for
        GC.com caches too...

        -mark.
      • Grajek
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2 4:35 PM