RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] WHAT HAPPENED, GEOCACHERS????????

  • Perrine Julie-ra5686
    Message 1 of 29 , May 2, 2005
      You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

      Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."

      Message 2 of 29 , May 2, 2005
        This response from Grajek indicates perhaps the event wasn't marketed
        heavily enough? Sign some big-name veteran cachers to help promote the
        event by word of (big) mouth. Advertise the event, repeatedly, in a
        big purple font, on this list, on TXGA, on GC.com, on alternate
        listing sites, until someone accuses you of spamming. Then you'll
        know the message has been received... ;-)

        In general I've noticed a fall-off over the last year of attendance at
        (for example) CITO events. Look at the photos of events from 2 years
        ago, we'd have 30-40 people happily show up at an event to pick up
        someone else's garbage. Now you can barely get 5 people to show up at
        a cool game event with free door prizes. Don't know why that is, I'm
        not a sociologist.

        BTW I would have attended the GeoBowling event if it were held just
        seven degrees more toward the north.

        -mark.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
        wrote:
        > What's GeoBowling?
      • Grajek
        Message 3 of 29 , May 2, 2005
          Easy action! Just asking what GeoBowling was. Never heard of it before.

          Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You
          Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To." Julie

          I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought it
          looked fun ...

          On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

          > What's GeoBowling?

        • Scott Robuck
          Message 4 of 29 , May 2, 2005
            Message

            …out of town for Mother’s day.  April and May are the busiest months for me.

            Scott Robuck

            Team GeoDillo

            Message 5 of 29 , May 2, 2005
              Or "Only if they use snuff cans"

              Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...> wrote:
              You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

              Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."

              I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought it looked fun ...

              On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

              > What's GeoBowling?

              Bill Hatfield  K5KCR

              "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rogers

            • Grajek
              Message 6 of 29 , May 2, 2005

                Hide snuff cans??? I am in.

                On 5/2/2005 4:29:43 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                > Or "Only if they use snuff cans"

                > Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...>
                > wrote:You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

                Just for you Grajek, I'm
                > adding a special response category of
                > "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."
                > Julie

                style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Perrine Julie-ra5686

              • Wendy
                Message 7 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                  We would have loved to have made it to this event. However, with our
                  little one due just around the corner, we don't want to be wondering
                  to far from home. Let us know for when it is rescheduled and we will
                  try our best to be there for it.

                  -Wendy
                • David Campbell
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                    Hi, cachers.  I've never been to a geocaching event and I'd love to attend one, but my schedule keeps conflicting.  After all, I have four active boys and a dog and even a husband.
                    My excuses:
                    1) I don't know anybody to form a team.  True.  My ID is really a family ID so we could maybe be a team together, but I really do most of the caching alone or with my youngest tagging along.  The only other cacher I know is my brother, but he's in Arkansas.
                    2) I'm not sure how to play.  True.  But I read about it and it sounds fun.
                    3) All day is too long.  9 - 2 really is too long for me, because a) I bring my 3-year-old who wouldn't last that long OR b) I leave my 3-year-old with my hubby who wouldn't last that long!
                    4) My real excuse: I'm going out of town for the weekend to be with my mom, or I might try to make it.  Most of the events occur on weekends when we already have plans.
                    On another note, when I'm traveling this weekend, I'm aiming to reach that 100 mark.  Only 21 to go!  Then I'll get my first cache or two hidden.
                    Lisa Campbell

[...]

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                      Message
                      Friends, I'm not asking you to justify why you didn't come to this event.  I'm trying to figure out how to get more people to RSVP earlier.  I don't want to be the event POLICE.  I just know how it is to plan stuff and not know until the end if anyone is coming.  Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't.  Depending on the event.

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                        He makes up for the frustration with his post cache feasts!

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                          If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass.  Yeah... he was just being a smart ass.    ;o)
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 2, 2005

                            Me???? Never.! When have I ever been a smart ass? :-P

                            Just happens this time I was serious. I guess it’s the boy that cried wolf deal.

                            We seem to have a classic case of the “Tragedy Of the Commons.”

                            P.S.

                            Julie left out the one Category that I needed. “You are banned form the site and cannot even lookup GeoBowling.”  That’s my reason.

                            Thanks

                            Grajek

                            A.K.A

                            El Che!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            Viva La Terracaching.

                            On 5/2/2005 6:24:01 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                            > If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass.  Yeah... he was just

                            > being a smart ass.    ;o)

                          • Lowracer
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                              Jeff we know you have a number of evil sockpuppets for clandestine
                              site access...

                              BTW, Just did a search of this group and noticed that of the two
                              messages I found promoting the event initially, neither had a link to
                              the event page on geocaching.com. The first actual link I could find
                              was posted today in response to Grajek's question.

                              In the future I would suggest whenever someone posts an event and
                              advertises it here, put a link to the cache page in your message to
                              increase RSVP participation. Give folks something to click on instead
                              of having them cut and paste the waypoint ID into the search page on
                              GC.com (if they even know how to do this, many are new and might not
                              know). Don't make the participants have to work hard to find your
                              event page.

                              Also, when you post your link, use www.tinyurl.com since URLs can
                              'word-wrap' and this breaks them.

                              If all else fails, getting an endorsement from Moosiegirl can't hurt
                              your turnout...

                              wrote:
                              > Me???? Never.! When have I ever been a smart ass? :-P
                              > Just happens this time I was serious. I guess it's the boy that cried
                              > wolf deal.
                              > We seem to have a classic case of the "Tragedy Of the Commons."
                              >
                              > P.S.
                              > Julie left out the one Category that I needed. "You are banned form the
                              > site and cannot even lookup GeoBowling." That's my reason.
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              > Grajek
                              > A.K.A
                              > El Che!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              > Viva La Terracaching.
                              >

                              > On 5/2/2005 6:24:01 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                              > > If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass. Yeah... he was just
                              > > being a smart ass. ;o)

                            • Grajek
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                I would never Violate the Terms of Use of any site. LMAOROFLLOL

                                Message 15 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                  Message
                                  I can't help you.  This is my pattern:

                                  I take notice of a future event that I have an interest in.

                                  When the date nears I reconsider the event in lieu of
                                  anything else that may have come since I first heard of it.

                                  The day before, I decide whether I will go to the event.

                                  UNLESS...

                                  I have to buy tickets in advance to ensure a good seat or
                                  to get a seat at all.
                                  or...
                                  if it's something I really, really want to do...

                                  I hardly ever commit to an event so far in advance because
                                  I may have to give up something else that comes up later

                                  Doc Geo

                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                      Message
                                      I don't really know anyone to form a team. I don't really know that many people in San Antonio. I just started Geocaching so I am not very good at events.

                                      Kat C.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                        <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
                                        > Gang,
                                        > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
                                        that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand that
                                        everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if you
                                        all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this
                                        together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response
                                        than they got.

                                        To tell you the truth, I've been just plain too busy to even look at
                                        this and didn't realize it was a team thing and that you had to sign
                                        up. I'm sorry, J&J! Entirely MY BAD.

                                        Candy
                                      • Essiar
                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                          Awwwwwwwww..... thank you Mo. :-)

                                          > He makes up for the frustration with his post cache feasts!

                                          GEOCACHERS????????

                                          > It's the honest truth ... I hate you for many reasons ... CH ...
                                          Sixty
                                          > Sick ... Take a Nap ... ;)
                                          >
                                          > On 5/2/05, Essiar <essiar@t...> wrote:
                                          > > ROFLMAO!!!
                                          > > Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and
                                          > > > I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ...
                                          >

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                        • jnjwalla
                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                            Thanks to MCP for starting this thread and thanks for the
                                            When we scheduled this event, we suspected that this might be a
                                            hectic
                                            weekend for everyone. It just so happens that this was the ONLY
                                            free
                                            weekend we had between the Texas Challenge and Memorial Day. We
                                            wanted to hold the event before the Texas summer settled in. This
                                            is
                                            the first event we've hosted - so let's just call it a learning
                                            experience.

                                            We still believe that Geobowling could be a lot of fun so we're
                                            going
                                            to try again in the fall - like a Sunday in late September.

                                            <candylind@e...> wrote:
                                            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Perrine Julie-
                                            ra5686
                                            > <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
                                            > > Gang,
                                            > > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
                                            > that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand
                                            that
                                            > everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if
                                            you
                                            > all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this
                                            > together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response
                                            > than they got.
                                            >
                                            > To tell you the truth, I've been just plain too busy to even look
                                            at
                                            > this and didn't realize it was a team thing and that you had to
                                            sign
                                            > up. I'm sorry, J&J! Entirely MY BAD.
                                            >
                                            > Candy
                                          • joanwhistler
                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 4, 2005
                                              Julie, you didn't list my excuse ... Hobbling around on crutches
                                              after foot surgery! Hopefully only a few more weeks of this and
                                              then I'll be able to get back out on the trails!

                                              Joan