RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] WHAT HAPPENED, GEOCACHERS????????

  • Grajek
    Message 1 of 29 , May 2, 2005
      Message

      What’s GeoBowling?

      -----Original Message-----
      From: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Perrine Julie-ra5686
      Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 3:00 PM
      To: 'CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com'
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] WHAT HAPPENED, GEOCACHERS????????

      Gang,

      JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event that just got cancelled due to lack of signup.  I KNOW first hand that everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if you all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response than they got.

      I'm sure this was going to be a fun event, and I'm POSITIVE many of you were planning on coming but just hadn't signed up yet.

      I want to make sure people who want to plan events FOR ALL OF US don't get discouraged, so I'm going to ask you to tell me:

      What prevented you from signing up, if you were thinking about coming?

      I'm going to list some reasons, but I'd really like it if you would post a note with a brief message that would help us keep these events alive.

      I don't know anybody to form a team.

      I'm not sure how to play.

      All day is too long.

      I can't afford it.

      I just forgot.

      I was waiting until the last minute, but I was really intending to come.

      Hiding something in advance was more than I wanted to do.

      What else???????

    • Nick Silkey
      Message 2 of 29 , May 2, 2005
        It's the honest truth ... I hate you for many reasons ... CH ... Sixty
        Sick ... Take a Nap ... ;)

        On 5/2/05, Essiar <essiar@...> wrote:
        > ROFLMAO!!!
        > Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and
        > > I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ...
      • Essiar
        Message 3 of 29 , May 2, 2005
          As you know, we had a fantastic turnout at both GeoPoker events.
          Although I would have loved to have held GeoPoker in May due to the
          wonderful weather, I know better. The amount of commitments people
          have in May is overwhelming (due to the gorgeous weather!). That is
          why I held that event once in the middle of April and once in the
          middle of November. That is probably also why the TC is in March (I
          think it's march?). Competing with life in Texas in May is a tough
          sell. Especially on Mothers Day weekend. For what it's worth, I did
          sign up to play. I fully support John and Judy and look forward to
          the event when it does occur. BTW, they were both very helpful as
          the "neutral party" for the last GeoPoker event. Speaking of
          GeoPoker... :-)

          <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
          > Gang,
          > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
          that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand
          that everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but
          if you all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like
          this together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more
          response than they got.

          > I'm sure this was going to be a fun event, and I'm POSITIVE many
          of you were planning on coming but just hadn't signed up yet.

          > I want to make sure people who want to plan events FOR ALL OF US
          don't get discouraged, so I'm going to ask you to tell me:

          > What prevented you from signing up, if you were thinking about
          coming?

          > I'm going to list some reasons, but I'd really like it if you
          would post a note with a brief message that would help us keep these
          events alive.

          > I don't know anybody to form a team.
          >
          > I'm not sure how to play.
          >
          > All day is too long.
          >
          > I can't afford it.
          >
          > I just forgot.
          >
          > I was waiting until the last minute, but I was really intending to
          come.

          > Hiding something in advance was more than I wanted to do.
          >
          > What else???????
          >
          > Julie
          > Mrs. Captain Picard
        • Nick Silkey
          Message 4 of 29 , May 2, 2005
            Geobowling Event Page
            http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=55a4c477-0080-4dd9-88b6-4b433278345d

            Rules for Geobowling
            http://www.cox-internet.com/jnjwalla/gb05.pdf

            I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought
            it looked fun ...

            On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

            > What's GeoBowling?

          • Perrine Julie-ra5686
            Message 5 of 29 , May 2, 2005
              You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

              Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."

              I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought it looked fun ...

              On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

              > What's GeoBowling?

            • Lowracer
              Message 6 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                This response from Grajek indicates perhaps the event wasn't marketed
                heavily enough? Sign some big-name veteran cachers to help promote the
                event by word of (big) mouth. Advertise the event, repeatedly, in a
                big purple font, on this list, on TXGA, on GC.com, on alternate
                listing sites, until someone accuses you of spamming. Then you'll
                know the message has been received... ;-)

                In general I've noticed a fall-off over the last year of attendance at
                (for example) CITO events. Look at the photos of events from 2 years
                ago, we'd have 30-40 people happily show up at an event to pick up
                someone else's garbage. Now you can barely get 5 people to show up at
                a cool game event with free door prizes. Don't know why that is, I'm
                not a sociologist.

                BTW I would have attended the GeoBowling event if it were held just
                seven degrees more toward the north.

                -mark.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
                wrote:
                > What's GeoBowling?
              • Grajek
                Message 7 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                  Easy action! Just asking what GeoBowling was. Never heard of it before.

                  Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You
                  Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To." Julie

                  I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought it
                  looked fun ...

                  On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                  > What's GeoBowling?

                • Scott Robuck
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                    Message

                    …out of town for Mother’s day.  April and May are the busiest months for me.

                    Scott Robuck

                    Team GeoDillo

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                      Or "Only if they use snuff cans"

                      Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...> wrote:
                      You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

                      Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."

                      I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought it looked fun ...

                      On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                      > What's GeoBowling?

                      Bill Hatfield  K5KCR

                      "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rogers

                    • Grajek
                      Message 10 of 29 , May 2, 2005

                        Hide snuff cans??? I am in.

                        On 5/2/2005 4:29:43 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                        > Or "Only if they use snuff cans"

                        > Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...>
                        > wrote:You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

                        Just for you Grajek, I'm
                        > adding a special response category of
                        > "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."
                        > Julie

                        style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Perrine Julie-ra5686

                      • Wendy
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                          We would have loved to have made it to this event. However, with our
                          little one due just around the corner, we don't want to be wondering
                          to far from home. Let us know for when it is rescheduled and we will
                          try our best to be there for it.

                          -Wendy
                        • David Campbell
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                            Hi, cachers.  I've never been to a geocaching event and I'd love to attend one, but my schedule keeps conflicting.  After all, I have four active boys and a dog and even a husband.
                            My excuses:
                            1) I don't know anybody to form a team.  True.  My ID is really a family ID so we could maybe be a team together, but I really do most of the caching alone or with my youngest tagging along.  The only other cacher I know is my brother, but he's in Arkansas.
                            2) I'm not sure how to play.  True.  But I read about it and it sounds fun.
                            3) All day is too long.  9 - 2 really is too long for me, because a) I bring my 3-year-old who wouldn't last that long OR b) I leave my 3-year-old with my hubby who wouldn't last that long!
                            4) My real excuse: I'm going out of town for the weekend to be with my mom, or I might try to make it.  Most of the events occur on weekends when we already have plans.
                            On another note, when I'm traveling this weekend, I'm aiming to reach that 100 mark.  Only 21 to go!  Then I'll get my first cache or two hidden.
                            Lisa Campbell

[...]

                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                              Message
                              Friends, I'm not asking you to justify why you didn't come to this event.  I'm trying to figure out how to get more people to RSVP earlier.  I don't want to be the event POLICE.  I just know how it is to plan stuff and not know until the end if anyone is coming.  Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't.  Depending on the event.

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                He makes up for the frustration with his post cache feasts!

                                On 5/2/05, Essiar <essiar@...> wrote: > ROFLMAO!!! > Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and > > I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ... Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                              • Megindler@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                  If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass.  Yeah... he was just being a smart ass.    ;o)
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 2, 2005

                                    Me???? Never.! When have I ever been a smart ass? :-P

                                    Just happens this time I was serious. I guess it’s the boy that cried wolf deal.

                                    We seem to have a classic case of the “Tragedy Of the Commons.”

                                    P.S.

                                    Julie left out the one Category that I needed. “You are banned form the site and cannot even lookup GeoBowling.”  That’s my reason.

                                    Thanks

                                    Grajek

                                    A.K.A

                                    El Che!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Viva La Terracaching.

                                    On 5/2/2005 6:24:01 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                    > If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass.  Yeah... he was just

                                    > being a smart ass.    ;o)

                                  • Lowracer
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                      Jeff we know you have a number of evil sockpuppets for clandestine
                                      site access...

                                      BTW, Just did a search of this group and noticed that of the two
                                      messages I found promoting the event initially, neither had a link to
                                      the event page on geocaching.com. The first actual link I could find
                                      was posted today in response to Grajek's question.

                                      In the future I would suggest whenever someone posts an event and
                                      advertises it here, put a link to the cache page in your message to
                                      increase RSVP participation. Give folks something to click on instead
                                      of having them cut and paste the waypoint ID into the search page on
                                      GC.com (if they even know how to do this, many are new and might not
                                      know). Don't make the participants have to work hard to find your
                                      event page.

                                      Also, when you post your link, use www.tinyurl.com since URLs can
                                      'word-wrap' and this breaks them.

                                      If all else fails, getting an endorsement from Moosiegirl can't hurt
                                      your turnout...

                                      wrote:
                                      > Me???? Never.! When have I ever been a smart ass? :-P
                                      > Just happens this time I was serious. I guess it's the boy that cried
                                      > wolf deal.
                                      > We seem to have a classic case of the "Tragedy Of the Commons."
                                      >
                                      > P.S.
                                      > Julie left out the one Category that I needed. "You are banned form the
                                      > site and cannot even lookup GeoBowling." That's my reason.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks
                                      > Grajek
                                      > A.K.A
                                      > El Che!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                      > Viva La Terracaching.
                                      >

                                      > On 5/2/2005 6:24:01 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                      > > If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass. Yeah... he was just
                                      > > being a smart ass. ;o)

                                    • Grajek
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                        I would never Violate the Terms of Use of any site. LMAOROFLLOL

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                          Message
                                          I can't help you.  This is my pattern:

                                          I take notice of a future event that I have an interest in.

                                          When the date nears I reconsider the event in lieu of
                                          anything else that may have come since I first heard of it.

                                          The day before, I decide whether I will go to the event.

                                          UNLESS...

                                          I have to buy tickets in advance to ensure a good seat or
                                          to get a seat at all.
                                          or...
                                          if it's something I really, really want to do...

                                          I hardly ever commit to an event so far in advance because
                                          I may have to give up something else that comes up later

                                          Doc Geo

                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                              Message
                                              I don't really know anyone to form a team. I don't really know that many people in San Antonio. I just started Geocaching so I am not very good at events.

                                              Kat C.

                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                                <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
                                                > Gang,
                                                > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
                                                that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand that
                                                everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if you
                                                all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this
                                                together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response
                                                than they got.

                                                To tell you the truth, I've been just plain too busy to even look at
                                                this and didn't realize it was a team thing and that you had to sign
                                                up. I'm sorry, J&J! Entirely MY BAD.

                                                Candy
                                              • Essiar
                                                Message 23 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                                  Awwwwwwwww..... thank you Mo. :-)

                                                  > He makes up for the frustration with his post cache feasts!

                                                  GEOCACHERS????????

                                                  > It's the honest truth ... I hate you for many reasons ... CH ...
                                                  Sixty
                                                  > Sick ... Take a Nap ... ;)
                                                  >
                                                  > On 5/2/05, Essiar <essiar@t...> wrote:
                                                  > > ROFLMAO!!!
                                                  > > Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and
                                                  > > > I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ...
                                                  >

                                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                • jnjwalla
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                                    Thanks to MCP for starting this thread and thanks for the
                                                    When we scheduled this event, we suspected that this might be a
                                                    hectic
                                                    weekend for everyone. It just so happens that this was the ONLY
                                                    free
                                                    weekend we had between the Texas Challenge and Memorial Day. We
                                                    wanted to hold the event before the Texas summer settled in. This
                                                    is
                                                    the first event we've hosted - so let's just call it a learning
                                                    experience.

                                                    We still believe that Geobowling could be a lot of fun so we're
                                                    going
                                                    to try again in the fall - like a Sunday in late September.

                                                    <candylind@e...> wrote:
                                                    > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Perrine Julie-
                                                    ra5686
                                                    > <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
                                                    > > Gang,
                                                    > > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
                                                    > that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand
                                                    that
                                                    > everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if
                                                    you
                                                    > all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this
                                                    > together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response
                                                    > than they got.
                                                    >
                                                    > To tell you the truth, I've been just plain too busy to even look
                                                    at
                                                    > this and didn't realize it was a team thing and that you had to
                                                    sign
                                                    > up. I'm sorry, J&J! Entirely MY BAD.
                                                    >
                                                    > Candy
                                                  • joanwhistler
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , May 4, 2005
                                                      Julie, you didn't list my excuse ... Hobbling around on crutches
                                                      after foot surgery! Hopefully only a few more weeks of this and
                                                      then I'll be able to get back out on the trails!

                                                      Joan