Re: WHAT HAPPENED, GEOCACHERS????????

  • Essiar
    Message 1 of 29 , May 2, 2005
      ROFLMAO!!!
      Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and
      > I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ...
      >
      > Cheers,
      > filler
    • Grajek
      Message 2 of 29 , May 2, 2005
        Message

        What’s GeoBowling?

        Message 3 of 29 , May 2, 2005
          It's the honest truth ... I hate you for many reasons ... CH ... Sixty
          Sick ... Take a Nap ... ;)

          Message 4 of 29 , May 2, 2005
            As you know, we had a fantastic turnout at both GeoPoker events.
            Although I would have loved to have held GeoPoker in May due to the
            wonderful weather, I know better. The amount of commitments people
            have in May is overwhelming (due to the gorgeous weather!). That is
            why I held that event once in the middle of April and once in the
            middle of November. That is probably also why the TC is in March (I
            think it's march?). Competing with life in Texas in May is a tough
            sell. Especially on Mothers Day weekend. For what it's worth, I did
            sign up to play. I fully support John and Judy and look forward to
            the event when it does occur. BTW, they were both very helpful as
            the "neutral party" for the last GeoPoker event. Speaking of
            GeoPoker... :-)

            <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
            > Gang,
            > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
            that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand
            that everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but
            if you all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like
            this together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more
            response than they got.

            > I'm sure this was going to be a fun event, and I'm POSITIVE many
            of you were planning on coming but just hadn't signed up yet.

            > I want to make sure people who want to plan events FOR ALL OF US
            don't get discouraged, so I'm going to ask you to tell me:

            > What prevented you from signing up, if you were thinking about
            coming?

            > I'm going to list some reasons, but I'd really like it if you
            would post a note with a brief message that would help us keep these
            events alive.

            > I don't know anybody to form a team.
            >
            > I'm not sure how to play.
            >
            > All day is too long.
            >
            > I can't afford it.
            >
            > I just forgot.
            >
            > I was waiting until the last minute, but I was really intending to
            come.

            > Hiding something in advance was more than I wanted to do.
            >
            > What else???????
            >
            > Julie
            > Mrs. Captain Picard
          • Nick Silkey
            Message 5 of 29 , May 2, 2005
              Geobowling Event Page
              http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=55a4c477-0080-4dd9-88b6-4b433278345d

              Rules for Geobowling
              http://www.cox-internet.com/jnjwalla/gb05.pdf

              I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought
              it looked fun ...

              On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

              > What's GeoBowling?

            • Perrine Julie-ra5686
              Message 6 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

                Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."

                I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought it looked fun ...

                On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                > What's GeoBowling?

              • Lowracer
                Message 7 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                  This response from Grajek indicates perhaps the event wasn't marketed
                  heavily enough? Sign some big-name veteran cachers to help promote the
                  event by word of (big) mouth. Advertise the event, repeatedly, in a
                  big purple font, on this list, on TXGA, on GC.com, on alternate
                  listing sites, until someone accuses you of spamming. Then you'll
                  know the message has been received... ;-)

                  In general I've noticed a fall-off over the last year of attendance at
                  (for example) CITO events. Look at the photos of events from 2 years
                  ago, we'd have 30-40 people happily show up at an event to pick up
                  someone else's garbage. Now you can barely get 5 people to show up at
                  a cool game event with free door prizes. Don't know why that is, I'm
                  not a sociologist.

                  BTW I would have attended the GeoBowling event if it were held just
                  seven degrees more toward the north.

                  -mark.

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
                  wrote:
                  > What's GeoBowling?
                • Grajek
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                    Easy action! Just asking what GeoBowling was. Never heard of it before.

                    Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You
                    Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To." Julie

                    I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought it
                    looked fun ...

                    On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                    > What's GeoBowling?

                  • Scott Robuck
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                      Message

                      …out of town for Mother’s day.  April and May are the busiest months for me.

                      Scott Robuck

                      Team GeoDillo

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                        Or "Only if they use snuff cans"

                        Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...> wrote:
                        You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

                        Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."

                        I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought it looked fun ...

                        On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                        > What's GeoBowling?

                        Bill Hatfield  K5KCR

                        "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rogers

                      • Grajek
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 2, 2005

                          Hide snuff cans??? I am in.

                          On 5/2/2005 4:29:43 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                          > Or "Only if they use snuff cans"

                          > Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...>
                          > wrote:You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

                          Just for you Grajek, I'm
                          > adding a special response category of
                          > "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."
                          > Julie

                          style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Perrine Julie-ra5686

                        • Wendy
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                            We would have loved to have made it to this event. However, with our
                            little one due just around the corner, we don't want to be wondering
                            to far from home. Let us know for when it is rescheduled and we will
                            try our best to be there for it.

                            -Wendy
                          • David Campbell
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                              Hi, cachers.  I've never been to a geocaching event and I'd love to attend one, but my schedule keeps conflicting.  After all, I have four active boys and a dog and even a husband.
                              My excuses:
                              1) I don't know anybody to form a team.  True.  My ID is really a family ID so we could maybe be a team together, but I really do most of the caching alone or with my youngest tagging along.  The only other cacher I know is my brother, but he's in Arkansas.
                              2) I'm not sure how to play.  True.  But I read about it and it sounds fun.
                              3) All day is too long.  9 - 2 really is too long for me, because a) I bring my 3-year-old who wouldn't last that long OR b) I leave my 3-year-old with my hubby who wouldn't last that long!
                              4) My real excuse: I'm going out of town for the weekend to be with my mom, or I might try to make it.  Most of the events occur on weekends when we already have plans.
                              On another note, when I'm traveling this weekend, I'm aiming to reach that 100 mark.  Only 21 to go!  Then I'll get my first cache or two hidden.
                              Lisa Campbell

[...]

                              http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                Message
                                Friends, I'm not asking you to justify why you didn't come to this event.  I'm trying to figure out how to get more people to RSVP earlier.  I don't want to be the event POLICE.  I just know how it is to plan stuff and not know until the end if anyone is coming.  Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't.  Depending on the event.

                                Message 15 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                  He makes up for the frustration with his post cache feasts!

                                  On 5/2/05, Essiar <essiar@...> wrote: > ROFLMAO!!! > Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and > > I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ... Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                • Megindler@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                    If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass.  Yeah... he was just being a smart ass.    ;o)
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 2, 2005

                                      Me???? Never.! When have I ever been a smart ass? :-P

                                      Just happens this time I was serious. I guess it’s the boy that cried wolf deal.

                                      We seem to have a classic case of the “Tragedy Of the Commons.”

                                      P.S.

                                      Julie left out the one Category that I needed. “You are banned form the site and cannot even lookup GeoBowling.”  That’s my reason.

                                      Thanks

                                      Grajek

                                      A.K.A

                                      El Che!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      Viva La Terracaching.

                                      On 5/2/2005 6:24:01 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                      > If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass.  Yeah... he was just

                                      > being a smart ass.    ;o)

                                    • Lowracer
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                        Jeff we know you have a number of evil sockpuppets for clandestine
                                        site access...

                                        BTW, Just did a search of this group and noticed that of the two
                                        messages I found promoting the event initially, neither had a link to
                                        the event page on geocaching.com. The first actual link I could find
                                        was posted today in response to Grajek's question.

                                        In the future I would suggest whenever someone posts an event and
                                        advertises it here, put a link to the cache page in your message to
                                        increase RSVP participation. Give folks something to click on instead
                                        of having them cut and paste the waypoint ID into the search page on
                                        GC.com (if they even know how to do this, many are new and might not
                                        know). Don't make the participants have to work hard to find your
                                        event page.

                                        Also, when you post your link, use www.tinyurl.com since URLs can
                                        'word-wrap' and this breaks them.

                                        If all else fails, getting an endorsement from Moosiegirl can't hurt
                                        your turnout...

                                        wrote:
                                        > Me???? Never.! When have I ever been a smart ass? :-P
                                        > Just happens this time I was serious. I guess it's the boy that cried
                                        > wolf deal.
                                        > We seem to have a classic case of the "Tragedy Of the Commons."
                                        >
                                        > P.S.
                                        > Julie left out the one Category that I needed. "You are banned form the
                                        > site and cannot even lookup GeoBowling." That's my reason.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks
                                        > Grajek
                                        > A.K.A
                                        > El Che!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                        > Viva La Terracaching.
                                        >

                                        > On 5/2/2005 6:24:01 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                        > > If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass. Yeah... he was just
                                        > > being a smart ass. ;o)

                                      • Grajek
                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                          I would never Violate the Terms of Use of any site. LMAOROFLLOL

                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                            Message
                                            I can't help you.  This is my pattern:

                                            I take notice of a future event that I have an interest in.

                                            When the date nears I reconsider the event in lieu of
                                            anything else that may have come since I first heard of it.

                                            The day before, I decide whether I will go to the event.

                                            UNLESS...

                                            I have to buy tickets in advance to ensure a good seat or
                                            to get a seat at all.
                                            or...
                                            if it's something I really, really want to do...

                                            I hardly ever commit to an event so far in advance because
                                            I may have to give up something else that comes up later

                                            Doc Geo

                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 2, 2005
                                                Message
                                                I don't really know anyone to form a team. I don't really know that many people in San Antonio. I just started Geocaching so I am not very good at events.

                                                Kat C.

                                                Message 23 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                                  <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
                                                  > Gang,
                                                  > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
                                                  that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand that
                                                  everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if you
                                                  all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this
                                                  together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response
                                                  than they got.

                                                  To tell you the truth, I've been just plain too busy to even look at
                                                  this and didn't realize it was a team thing and that you had to sign
                                                  up. I'm sorry, J&J! Entirely MY BAD.

                                                  Candy
                                                • Essiar
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                                    Awwwwwwwww..... thank you Mo. :-)

                                                    > He makes up for the frustration with his post cache feasts!

                                                    GEOCACHERS????????

                                                    > It's the honest truth ... I hate you for many reasons ... CH ...
                                                    Sixty
                                                    > Sick ... Take a Nap ... ;)
                                                    >
                                                    > On 5/2/05, Essiar <essiar@t...> wrote:
                                                    > > ROFLMAO!!!
                                                    > > Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and
                                                    > > > I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ...
                                                    >

                                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                  • jnjwalla
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , May 3, 2005
                                                      Thanks to MCP for starting this thread and thanks for the
                                                      When we scheduled this event, we suspected that this might be a
                                                      hectic
                                                      weekend for everyone. It just so happens that this was the ONLY
                                                      free
                                                      weekend we had between the Texas Challenge and Memorial Day. We
                                                      wanted to hold the event before the Texas summer settled in. This
                                                      is
                                                      the first event we've hosted - so let's just call it a learning
                                                      experience.

                                                      We still believe that Geobowling could be a lot of fun so we're
                                                      going
                                                      to try again in the fall - like a Sunday in late September.

                                                      <candylind@e...> wrote:
                                                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Perrine Julie-
                                                      ra5686
                                                      > <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
                                                      > > Gang,
                                                      > > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
                                                      > that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand
                                                      that
                                                      > everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if
                                                      you
                                                      > all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this
                                                      > together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response
                                                      > than they got.
                                                      >
                                                      > To tell you the truth, I've been just plain too busy to even look
                                                      at
                                                      > this and didn't realize it was a team thing and that you had to
                                                      sign
                                                      > up. I'm sorry, J&J! Entirely MY BAD.
                                                      >
                                                      > Candy
                                                    • joanwhistler
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , May 4, 2005
                                                        Julie, you didn't list my excuse ... Hobbling around on crutches
                                                        after foot surgery! Hopefully only a few more weeks of this and
                                                        then I'll be able to get back out on the trails!

                                                        Joan