WHAT HAPPENED, GEOCACHERS????????

  • Perrine Julie-ra5686
    Message 1 of 29 , May 2 12:59 PM
      Message
      Gang,
      JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event that just got cancelled due to lack of signup.  I KNOW first hand that everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if you all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response than they got.

      I'm sure this was going to be a fun event, and I'm POSITIVE many of you were planning on coming but just hadn't signed up yet.

      I want to make sure people who want to plan events FOR ALL OF US don't get discouraged, so I'm going to ask you to tell me:

      What prevented you from signing up, if you were thinking about coming?

      I'm going to list some reasons, but I'd really like it if you would post a note with a brief message that would help us keep these events alive.

      I don't know anybody to form a team.

      I'm not sure how to play.

      All day is too long.

      I can't afford it.

      I just forgot.

      I was waiting until the last minute, but I was really intending to come.

      Hiding something in advance was more than I wanted to do.

      What else???????

    • Nick Silkey
      Message 2 of 29 , May 2 1:16 PM
        I'll bite ...

        "I don't know anybody to form a team."
        Bollocks... I'm dying to meet the Austin scene ...

        "I'm not sure how to play."
        RTFM. :)

        "All day is too long."
        9-2? Please...

        "I can't afford it."
        What, the gas? I dunno ...

        "I just forgot."
        I didn't.

        "I was waiting until the last minute, but I was really intending to come."
        I'll address this below ...

        "Hiding something in advance was more than I wanted to do."
        No; it excited me. :)

        What else???????
        Mothers Day + Family Birthdays = Out-of-town commitments ... :/

        I am very interested in making it out to an event, be it social or
        competitive ... Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and
        I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ...

        Cheers,
        filler
      • rtyoungster
        Message 3 of 29 , May 2 1:26 PM
          MCP,
          May is a busy month for most of us. With Mother's Day, kid
          commitments and out-of- towners in for Mom's day, it was too much to
          add an all day commitment to the mix.
          My story,
          Dick

          <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
          > Gang,
          > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
          that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand that
          everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if you
          all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this
          together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response
          than they got.

          > I'm sure this was going to be a fun event, and I'm POSITIVE many of
          you were planning on coming but just hadn't signed up yet.

          > I want to make sure people who want to plan events FOR ALL OF US
          don't get discouraged, so I'm going to ask you to tell me:

          > What prevented you from signing up, if you were thinking about coming?
          >
          > I'm going to list some reasons, but I'd really like it if you would
          post a note with a brief message that would help us keep these events
          alive.

          > I don't know anybody to form a team.
          >
          > I'm not sure how to play.
          >
          > All day is too long.
          >
          > I can't afford it.
          >
          > I just forgot.
          >
          > I was waiting until the last minute, but I was really intending to come.
          >
          > Hiding something in advance was more than I wanted to do.
          >
          > What else???????
          >
          > Julie
          > Mrs. Captain Picard
        • Essiar
          Message 4 of 29 , May 2 1:31 PM
            ROFLMAO!!!
            Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and
            > I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ...
            >
            > Cheers,
            > filler
          • Grajek
            Message 5 of 29 , May 2 1:37 PM
              Message

              What’s GeoBowling?

              Message 6 of 29 , May 2 1:41 PM
                It's the honest truth ... I hate you for many reasons ... CH ... Sixty
                Sick ... Take a Nap ... ;)

                Message 7 of 29 , May 2 1:41 PM
                  As you know, we had a fantastic turnout at both GeoPoker events.
                  Although I would have loved to have held GeoPoker in May due to the
                  wonderful weather, I know better. The amount of commitments people
                  have in May is overwhelming (due to the gorgeous weather!). That is
                  why I held that event once in the middle of April and once in the
                  middle of November. That is probably also why the TC is in March (I
                  think it's march?). Competing with life in Texas in May is a tough
                  sell. Especially on Mothers Day weekend. For what it's worth, I did
                  sign up to play. I fully support John and Judy and look forward to
                  the event when it does occur. BTW, they were both very helpful as
                  the "neutral party" for the last GeoPoker event. Speaking of
                  GeoPoker... :-)

                  <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
                  > Gang,
                  > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
                  that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand
                  that everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but
                  if you all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like
                  this together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more
                  response than they got.

                  > I'm sure this was going to be a fun event, and I'm POSITIVE many
                  of you were planning on coming but just hadn't signed up yet.

                  > I want to make sure people who want to plan events FOR ALL OF US
                  don't get discouraged, so I'm going to ask you to tell me:

                  > What prevented you from signing up, if you were thinking about
                  coming?

                  > I'm going to list some reasons, but I'd really like it if you
                  would post a note with a brief message that would help us keep these
                  events alive.

                  > I don't know anybody to form a team.
                  >
                  > I'm not sure how to play.
                  >
                  > All day is too long.
                  >
                  > I can't afford it.
                  >
                  > I just forgot.
                  >
                  > I was waiting until the last minute, but I was really intending to
                  come.

                  > Hiding something in advance was more than I wanted to do.
                  >
                  > What else???????
                  >
                  > Julie
                  > Mrs. Captain Picard
                • Nick Silkey
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 2 1:44 PM
                    Geobowling Event Page
                    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=55a4c477-0080-4dd9-88b6-4b433278345d

                    Rules for Geobowling
                    http://www.cox-internet.com/jnjwalla/gb05.pdf

                    I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought
                    it looked fun ...

                    On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                    > What's GeoBowling?

                  • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 2 1:49 PM
                      You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

                      Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."

                      I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought it looked fun ...

                      On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                      > What's GeoBowling?

                    • Lowracer
                      Message 10 of 29 , May 2 1:59 PM
                        This response from Grajek indicates perhaps the event wasn't marketed
                        heavily enough? Sign some big-name veteran cachers to help promote the
                        event by word of (big) mouth. Advertise the event, repeatedly, in a
                        big purple font, on this list, on TXGA, on GC.com, on alternate
                        listing sites, until someone accuses you of spamming. Then you'll
                        know the message has been received... ;-)

                        In general I've noticed a fall-off over the last year of attendance at
                        (for example) CITO events. Look at the photos of events from 2 years
                        ago, we'd have 30-40 people happily show up at an event to pick up
                        someone else's garbage. Now you can barely get 5 people to show up at
                        a cool game event with free door prizes. Don't know why that is, I'm
                        not a sociologist.

                        BTW I would have attended the GeoBowling event if it were held just
                        seven degrees more toward the north.

                        -mark.

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
                        wrote:
                        > What's GeoBowling?
                      • Grajek
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 2 2:04 PM
                          Easy action! Just asking what GeoBowling was. Never heard of it before.

                          Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You
                          Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To." Julie

                          I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought it
                          looked fun ...

                          On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                          > What's GeoBowling?

                        • Scott Robuck
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 2 2:12 PM
                            Message

                            …out of town for Mother’s day.  April and May are the busiest months for me.

                            Scott Robuck

                            Team GeoDillo

                            Message 13 of 29 , May 2 2:29 PM
                              Or "Only if they use snuff cans"

                              Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...> wrote:
                              You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

                              Just for you Grajek, I'm adding a special response category of "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."

                              I asked the same question a couple weeks ago ... Read up and thought it looked fun ...

                              On 5/2/05, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                              > What's GeoBowling?

                              Bill Hatfield  K5KCR

                              "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rogers

                            • Grajek
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 2 2:31 PM

                                Hide snuff cans??? I am in.

                                On 5/2/2005 4:29:43 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                > Or "Only if they use snuff cans"

                                > Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...>
                                > wrote:You've never met Grajek, have you Nick!

                                Just for you Grajek, I'm
                                > adding a special response category of
                                > "You Can't Make Me If I Don't Want To."
                                > Julie

                                style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Perrine Julie-ra5686

                              • Wendy
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 2 3:07 PM
                                  We would have loved to have made it to this event. However, with our
                                  little one due just around the corner, we don't want to be wondering
                                  to far from home. Let us know for when it is rescheduled and we will
                                  try our best to be there for it.

                                  -Wendy
                                • David Campbell
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 2 3:09 PM
                                    Hi, cachers.  I've never been to a geocaching event and I'd love to attend one, but my schedule keeps conflicting.  After all, I have four active boys and a dog and even a husband.
                                    My excuses:
                                    1) I don't know anybody to form a team.  True.  My ID is really a family ID so we could maybe be a team together, but I really do most of the caching alone or with my youngest tagging along.  The only other cacher I know is my brother, but he's in Arkansas.
                                    2) I'm not sure how to play.  True.  But I read about it and it sounds fun.
                                    3) All day is too long.  9 - 2 really is too long for me, because a) I bring my 3-year-old who wouldn't last that long OR b) I leave my 3-year-old with my hubby who wouldn't last that long!
                                    4) My real excuse: I'm going out of town for the weekend to be with my mom, or I might try to make it.  Most of the events occur on weekends when we already have plans.
                                    On another note, when I'm traveling this weekend, I'm aiming to reach that 100 mark.  Only 21 to go!  Then I'll get my first cache or two hidden.
                                    Lisa Campbell

[...]

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                                  • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 2 3:18 PM
                                      Message
                                      Friends, I'm not asking you to justify why you didn't come to this event.  I'm trying to figure out how to get more people to RSVP earlier.  I don't want to be the event POLICE.  I just know how it is to plan stuff and not know until the end if anyone is coming.  Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't.  Depending on the event.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 2 4:22 PM
                                        He makes up for the frustration with his post cache feasts!

                                        On 5/2/05, Essiar <essiar@...> wrote: > ROFLMAO!!! > Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and > > I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ... Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                      • Megindler@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 2 4:24 PM
                                          If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass.  Yeah... he was just being a smart ass.    ;o)
                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 2 4:34 PM

                                            Me???? Never.! When have I ever been a smart ass? :-P

                                            Just happens this time I was serious. I guess it’s the boy that cried wolf deal.

                                            We seem to have a classic case of the “Tragedy Of the Commons.”

                                            P.S.

                                            Julie left out the one Category that I needed. “You are banned form the site and cannot even lookup GeoBowling.”  That’s my reason.

                                            Thanks

                                            Grajek

                                            A.K.A

                                            El Che!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            Viva La Terracaching.

                                            On 5/2/2005 6:24:01 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                            > If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass.  Yeah... he was just

                                            > being a smart ass.    ;o)

                                          • Lowracer
                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 2 4:50 PM
                                              Jeff we know you have a number of evil sockpuppets for clandestine
                                              site access...

                                              BTW, Just did a search of this group and noticed that of the two
                                              messages I found promoting the event initially, neither had a link to
                                              the event page on geocaching.com. The first actual link I could find
                                              was posted today in response to Grajek's question.

                                              In the future I would suggest whenever someone posts an event and
                                              advertises it here, put a link to the cache page in your message to
                                              increase RSVP participation. Give folks something to click on instead
                                              of having them cut and paste the waypoint ID into the search page on
                                              GC.com (if they even know how to do this, many are new and might not
                                              know). Don't make the participants have to work hard to find your
                                              event page.

                                              Also, when you post your link, use www.tinyurl.com since URLs can
                                              'word-wrap' and this breaks them.

                                              If all else fails, getting an endorsement from Moosiegirl can't hurt
                                              your turnout...

                                              wrote:
                                              > Me???? Never.! When have I ever been a smart ass? :-P
                                              > Just happens this time I was serious. I guess it's the boy that cried
                                              > wolf deal.
                                              > We seem to have a classic case of the "Tragedy Of the Commons."
                                              >
                                              > P.S.
                                              > Julie left out the one Category that I needed. "You are banned form the
                                              > site and cannot even lookup GeoBowling." That's my reason.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks
                                              > Grajek
                                              > A.K.A
                                              > El Che!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                              > Viva La Terracaching.
                                              >

                                              > On 5/2/2005 6:24:01 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                              > > If I know Grajek, he was just being a smart ass. Yeah... he was just
                                              > > being a smart ass. ;o)

                                            • Grajek
                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 2 5:01 PM
                                                I would never Violate the Terms of Use of any site. LMAOROFLLOL

                                                Message 23 of 29 , May 2 5:23 PM
                                                  Message
                                                  I can't help you.  This is my pattern:

                                                  I take notice of a future event that I have an interest in.

                                                  When the date nears I reconsider the event in lieu of
                                                  anything else that may have come since I first heard of it.

                                                  The day before, I decide whether I will go to the event.

                                                  UNLESS...

                                                  I have to buy tickets in advance to ensure a good seat or
                                                  to get a seat at all.
                                                  or...
                                                  if it's something I really, really want to do...

                                                  I hardly ever commit to an event so far in advance because
                                                  I may have to give up something else that comes up later

                                                  Doc Geo

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , May 2 6:44 PM
                                                      Message
                                                      I don't really know anyone to form a team. I don't really know that many people in San Antonio. I just started Geocaching so I am not very good at events.

                                                      Kat C.

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , May 3 3:47 AM
                                                        <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
                                                        > Gang,
                                                        > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
                                                        that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand that
                                                        everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if you
                                                        all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this
                                                        together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response
                                                        than they got.

                                                        To tell you the truth, I've been just plain too busy to even look at
                                                        this and didn't realize it was a team thing and that you had to sign
                                                        up. I'm sorry, J&J! Entirely MY BAD.

                                                        Candy
                                                      • Essiar
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , May 3 6:08 AM
                                                          Awwwwwwwww..... thank you Mo. :-)

                                                          > He makes up for the frustration with his post cache feasts!

                                                          GEOCACHERS????????

                                                          > It's the honest truth ... I hate you for many reasons ... CH ...
                                                          Sixty
                                                          > Sick ... Take a Nap ... ;)
                                                          >
                                                          > On 5/2/05, Essiar <essiar@t...> wrote:
                                                          > > ROFLMAO!!!
                                                          > > Putting faces to the names is always fun ... That and
                                                          > > > I want to get at Essiar with my machete for Cited Honorees ...
                                                          >

                                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                        • jnjwalla
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , May 3 5:38 PM
                                                            Thanks to MCP for starting this thread and thanks for the
                                                            When we scheduled this event, we suspected that this might be a
                                                            hectic
                                                            weekend for everyone. It just so happens that this was the ONLY
                                                            free
                                                            weekend we had between the Texas Challenge and Memorial Day. We
                                                            wanted to hold the event before the Texas summer settled in. This
                                                            is
                                                            the first event we've hosted - so let's just call it a learning
                                                            experience.

                                                            We still believe that Geobowling could be a lot of fun so we're
                                                            going
                                                            to try again in the fall - like a Sunday in late September.

                                                            <candylind@e...> wrote:
                                                            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Perrine Julie-
                                                            ra5686
                                                            > <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
                                                            > > Gang,
                                                            > > JNJWalla put a lot of effort into designing the Geobowling event
                                                            > that just got cancelled due to lack of signup. I KNOW first hand
                                                            that
                                                            > everyone likes to make up their minds at the last minute, but if
                                                            you
                                                            > all realized what a lot of effort it is to put something like this
                                                            > together, you would know that John and Judy deserved more response
                                                            > than they got.
                                                            >
                                                            > To tell you the truth, I've been just plain too busy to even look
                                                            at
                                                            > this and didn't realize it was a team thing and that you had to
                                                            sign
                                                            > up. I'm sorry, J&J! Entirely MY BAD.
                                                            >
                                                            > Candy
                                                          • joanwhistler
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , May 4 9:41 AM
                                                              Julie, you didn't list my excuse ... Hobbling around on crutches
                                                              after foot surgery! Hopefully only a few more weeks of this and
                                                              then I'll be able to get back out on the trails!

                                                              Joan