Re: MapSource CD's for Garmin GPSMAP 60CS

  • Jason Scarlett
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
      Here are some loading instructions...

      > I can't open the citymaps. What program do I need?
      > Thanks!

      INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS (Windows PC):
      1. Download the detail map data from http://waas-up.blogspot.com and
      unzip the IMG file to a place on your computer you can remember.

      2. Download the 3rd party IMG detail map upload utility from
      http://gps.chrisb.org/download/sendmap20.zip (a link is provided on
      the blog) and unzip the EXE to a place on your computer you can
      remember.

      3. Connect your data cable to your computer serial port.

      4. Connect your GPS to the data cable and from the Main Menu screen,
      select Setup then System. Change GPS field from Normal to GPS Off
      (this allows data to be transmitted via data cable).

      5. Exit the menus and get back to the Map screen. Select the Options
      button (second button from top right). Scroll down to Setup map.
      Move over to the "i" (information) button. Uncheck any loaded detail
      maps (note any maps shown will be erased during the upload process).
      Exit back to one of the main screens

      6. Run the sendmap20.exe application unziped in step 2

      7. There is a bug in the sendmap20.exe application in handling the
      115200 baud rate. If you leave port and baud rate set as "Auto,"
      (the default) it will try to use the 115200 baud rate and fail 90%
      of the time. To avoid this problem, manually set the baud rate by
      changing the "Port" to com1 or the correct value if you know what it
      is. This will allow you to change the Baud rate selection box
      from "Auto" to something under 115200. After setting the baud rate
      you can change the Port back to Auto if you don't know the correct
      setting.

      8. Click on the Add Maps button to add the IMG file you downloaded
      in step 1. (You can also add any number of Mapsource or CityMap IMG
      files you like to the list).

      9. Once you have all the maps you want listed, click on the Upload
      Selected Maps to GPS button. Send map will automatically connect to
      your unit and start the transfer.

      10. Watch the GPS screen it should read transferring data. If not,
      there is something wrong with the connection or cable. If the
      transfer goes wrong for any reason return to step 3. If successful,
      the the GPS will reboot with the new map an reset with GPS turned on
      (undoes step 4)

      If you uploaded multiple maps you will want to make sure to toggle
      on the correct map (see step 5). For each uploaded detail map you
      will see a Box around the map area until you pan your cursor into
      the box and zoom in. If your map display is set to "More" you will
      see the map after zooming to 800ft. (you will have to zoom in more
      to show if you are set to Normal, Less, or Least). The lower left
      corner of the display will show "Mapsource" or "Overzoom" when you
      are viewing the detail map data.

      There was also a user report that "declutter" option must be set to
      off (default setting).

      One final note: the 3rd party utility will clear the preinstalled
      Garmin Marine POI database and previously uploaded detail maps from
      the unit (Mapsource does this as well). The Garmin base map and any
      user waypoints, tracks, or routes will not be deleted. The Garmin
      Marine POI database can be downloaded and reinstalled from the
      Garmin website.
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
        Download the Garmin upload app from the same site.

        1. Connect the PC Interface Cable to your computer serial port.
        2. Connect the Legend to the PC Interface Cable.
        3. Turn on the Legend and set to the GPS off mode.
        4. Go to the Map Page and then go to the On-Screen Page and Options Menu Button and select Setup Map.
        5. Use CLICK STICK to move to the sub-page marked with an �i� which will contain the map information.
        6. Use the CLICK STICK to un-check the existing map.
        7. On your computer, drag and drop the .IMG file containing the new map information over the sendmap.exe icon and the program will start up and load the new map to your Garmin.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
        <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
        > Thank you for that link!  Now I have a map of Austin without
        having to
        > buy the City Select CDs.  Thanks so much

        > Barry
        > aka Doc Geo
        >
        > ________________________________

        GPSMAP
        > 60CS
        >

        > http://waas-up.blogspot.com/

        > Check out Jason's maps...
        >
        > Lou Catozzi <txhipowr@a...> wrote:
        >

        >       I have not received my new 60CS yet but I understand that the
        > basemap
        >       that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas
        > but
        >       don't even think of trying to find the Dallas Zoo, for
        example.
        > Which
        >       MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central
        Texas
        >       goecaching and general automotive navigation?
        >
        >       Lou AKA
        >       TxHiPowr
        >

        > Bill Hatfield  K5KCR
        >

        > "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." -
        Will
        > Rogers

        subject=Unsub
        > scribe>

        Bill Hatfield  K5KCR

        "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rogers

      • Brent
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
          Thanks, I'll give it a try!

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Scarlett"

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
            Is there any way to view the Austin Citymap on my PC before loading to
            the GPS?
            Thanks