RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: MapSource CD's for Garmin GPSMAP 60CS

  • Barry Watson
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
      You need the loader program that is on that same web site.

      Barry

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
        Here are some loading instructions...

        > I can't open the citymaps. What program do I need?
        > Thanks!

        INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS (Windows PC):
        1. Download the detail map data from http://waas-up.blogspot.com and
        unzip the IMG file to a place on your computer you can remember.

        2. Download the 3rd party IMG detail map upload utility from
        http://gps.chrisb.org/download/sendmap20.zip (a link is provided on
        the blog) and unzip the EXE to a place on your computer you can
        remember.

        3. Connect your data cable to your computer serial port.

        4. Connect your GPS to the data cable and from the Main Menu screen,
        select Setup then System. Change GPS field from Normal to GPS Off
        (this allows data to be transmitted via data cable).

        5. Exit the menus and get back to the Map screen. Select the Options
        button (second button from top right). Scroll down to Setup map.
        Move over to the "i" (information) button. Uncheck any loaded detail
        maps (note any maps shown will be erased during the upload process).
        Exit back to one of the main screens

        6. Run the sendmap20.exe application unziped in step 2

        7. There is a bug in the sendmap20.exe application in handling the
        115200 baud rate. If you leave port and baud rate set as "Auto,"
        (the default) it will try to use the 115200 baud rate and fail 90%
        of the time. To avoid this problem, manually set the baud rate by
        changing the "Port" to com1 or the correct value if you know what it
        is. This will allow you to change the Baud rate selection box
        from "Auto" to something under 115200. After setting the baud rate
        you can change the Port back to Auto if you don't know the correct
        setting.

        8. Click on the Add Maps button to add the IMG file you downloaded
        in step 1. (You can also add any number of Mapsource or CityMap IMG
        files you like to the list).

        9. Once you have all the maps you want listed, click on the Upload
        Selected Maps to GPS button. Send map will automatically connect to
        your unit and start the transfer.

        10. Watch the GPS screen it should read transferring data. If not,
        there is something wrong with the connection or cable. If the
        transfer goes wrong for any reason return to step 3. If successful,
        the the GPS will reboot with the new map an reset with GPS turned on
        (undoes step 4)

        If you uploaded multiple maps you will want to make sure to toggle
        on the correct map (see step 5). For each uploaded detail map you
        will see a Box around the map area until you pan your cursor into
        the box and zoom in. If your map display is set to "More" you will
        see the map after zooming to 800ft. (you will have to zoom in more
        to show if you are set to Normal, Less, or Least). The lower left
        corner of the display will show "Mapsource" or "Overzoom" when you
        are viewing the detail map data.

        There was also a user report that "declutter" option must be set to
        off (default setting).

        One final note: the 3rd party utility will clear the preinstalled
        Garmin Marine POI database and previously uploaded detail maps from
        the unit (Mapsource does this as well). The Garmin base map and any
        user waypoints, tracks, or routes will not be deleted. The Garmin
        Marine POI database can be downloaded and reinstalled from the
        Garmin website.
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
          Download the Garmin upload app from the same site.

          1. Connect the PC Interface Cable to your computer serial port.
          2. Connect the Legend to the PC Interface Cable.
          3. Turn on the Legend and set to the GPS off mode.
          4. Go to the Map Page and then go to the On-Screen Page and Options Menu Button and select Setup Map.
          5. Use CLICK STICK to move to the sub-page marked with an �i� which will contain the map information.
          6. Use the CLICK STICK to un-check the existing map.
          7. On your computer, drag and drop the .IMG file containing the new map information over the sendmap.exe icon and the program will start up and load the new map to your Garmin.

          <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
          > Thank you for that link!  Now I have a map of Austin without
          having to
          > buy the City Select CDs.  Thanks so much

          > Barry
          > aka Doc Geo
          >
          > ________________________________

          subject=Unsub
          > scribe>

          Bill Hatfield  K5KCR

          "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rogers

        • Brent
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
            Thanks, I'll give it a try!

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Scarlett"

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
              Is there any way to view the Austin Citymap on my PC before loading to
              the GPS?
              Thanks