Re: MapSource CD's for Garmin GPSMAP 60CS

  • Brent
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
      I can't open the citymaps. What program do I need?
      Thanks!

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
      <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
      > Thank you for that link! Now I have a map of Austin without
      having to
      > buy the City Select CDs. Thanks so much
      >
      > Barry
      > aka Doc Geo
      >
      > ________________________________

      GPSMAP
      > 60CS
      >

      > http://waas-up.blogspot.com/
      >
      > Check out Jason's maps...
      >
      > Lou Catozzi <txhipowr@a...> wrote:
      >

      > I have not received my new 60CS yet but I understand that the
      > basemap
      > that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas
      > but
      > don't even think of trying to find the Dallas Zoo, for
      example.
      > Which
      > MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central
      Texas
      > goecaching and general automotive navigation?
      >
      > Lou AKA
      > TxHiPowr
      >

      > Bill Hatfield K5KCR
      >

      > "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." -
      Will
      > Rogers

      subject=Unsub
      > scribe>

    • Barry Watson
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
        You need the loader program that is on that same web site.

        Barry

        <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
        > Thank you for that link!
        Now I have a map of Austin without
        having to
        > buy the City Select
        CDs.  Thanks so much

        > Barry
        > aka Doc
        Geo

        href="http://waas-up.blogspot.com/">http://waas-up.blogspot.com/

        <txhipowr@a...> wrote:

        >       I have not received my new 60CS yet but
        I understand that the
        > basemap

        that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas

        but
        >       don't even think of trying to find
        the Dallas Zoo, for
        example.
        > Which

              MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central
        Texas
        >       goecaching and
        general automotive navigation?

              Lou AKA

        TxHiPowr

        > Bill
        Hatfield  K5KCR

        > "There are 2 theories to arguing
        with a woman...neither works." -
        Will
        > Rogers

        > *

        subject=Unsub

        scribe>

        *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        > Service <

      • Jason Scarlett
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
          Here are some loading instructions...

          > I can't open the citymaps. What program do I need?
          > Thanks!

          INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS (Windows PC):
          1. Download the detail map data from http://waas-up.blogspot.com and
          unzip the IMG file to a place on your computer you can remember.

          2. Download the 3rd party IMG detail map upload utility from
          http://gps.chrisb.org/download/sendmap20.zip (a link is provided on
          the blog) and unzip the EXE to a place on your computer you can
          remember.

          3. Connect your data cable to your computer serial port.

          4. Connect your GPS to the data cable and from the Main Menu screen,
          select Setup then System. Change GPS field from Normal to GPS Off
          (this allows data to be transmitted via data cable).

          5. Exit the menus and get back to the Map screen. Select the Options
          button (second button from top right). Scroll down to Setup map.
          Move over to the "i" (information) button. Uncheck any loaded detail
          maps (note any maps shown will be erased during the upload process).
          Exit back to one of the main screens

          6. Run the sendmap20.exe application unziped in step 2

          7. There is a bug in the sendmap20.exe application in handling the
          115200 baud rate. If you leave port and baud rate set as "Auto,"
          (the default) it will try to use the 115200 baud rate and fail 90%
          of the time. To avoid this problem, manually set the baud rate by
          changing the "Port" to com1 or the correct value if you know what it
          is. This will allow you to change the Baud rate selection box
          from "Auto" to something under 115200. After setting the baud rate
          you can change the Port back to Auto if you don't know the correct
          setting.

          8. Click on the Add Maps button to add the IMG file you downloaded
          in step 1. (You can also add any number of Mapsource or CityMap IMG
          files you like to the list).

          9. Once you have all the maps you want listed, click on the Upload
          Selected Maps to GPS button. Send map will automatically connect to
          your unit and start the transfer.

          10. Watch the GPS screen it should read transferring data. If not,
          there is something wrong with the connection or cable. If the
          transfer goes wrong for any reason return to step 3. If successful,
          the the GPS will reboot with the new map an reset with GPS turned on
          (undoes step 4)

          If you uploaded multiple maps you will want to make sure to toggle
          on the correct map (see step 5). For each uploaded detail map you
          will see a Box around the map area until you pan your cursor into
          the box and zoom in. If your map display is set to "More" you will
          see the map after zooming to 800ft. (you will have to zoom in more
          to show if you are set to Normal, Less, or Least). The lower left
          corner of the display will show "Mapsource" or "Overzoom" when you
          are viewing the detail map data.

          There was also a user report that "declutter" option must be set to
          off (default setting).

          One final note: the 3rd party utility will clear the preinstalled
          Garmin Marine POI database and previously uploaded detail maps from
          the unit (Mapsource does this as well). The Garmin base map and any
          user waypoints, tracks, or routes will not be deleted. The Garmin
          Marine POI database can be downloaded and reinstalled from the
          Garmin website.
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
            Download the Garmin upload app from the same site.

            1. Connect the PC Interface Cable to your computer serial port.
            2. Connect the Legend to the PC Interface Cable.
            3. Turn on the Legend and set to the GPS off mode.
            4. Go to the Map Page and then go to the On-Screen Page and Options Menu Button and select Setup Map.
            5. Use CLICK STICK to move to the sub-page marked with an �i� which will contain the map information.
            6. Use the CLICK STICK to un-check the existing map.
            7. On your computer, drag and drop the .IMG file containing the new map information over the sendmap.exe icon and the program will start up and load the new map to your Garmin.

            <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
            > Thank you for that link!  Now I have a map of Austin without
            having to
            > buy the City Select CDs.  Thanks so much

            > Barry
            > aka Doc Geo

            subject=Unsub

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
              Thanks, I'll give it a try!

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Scarlett"

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                Is there any way to view the Austin Citymap on my PC before loading to
                the GPS?
                Thanks