Re: MapSource CD's for Garmin GPSMAP 60CS

  • wendy and james
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
      If you are going to buy the Garmin Mapsource CD the one you want is
      City Select North America v6. It is the current map out. We use it
      a lot. It has all the streets accurate to about a year. It also
      gives you the ability to find resturants and other helpfull spots
      near you from your gps. This can be very helpful on road trips.
      Wendy likes to be able to move the cursor down the road 20 miles and
      find out what there may be to eat. We just load in the maps for
      whatever area we may be traveling through. The 60cs has a large
      memory so you will be able to load in a good bit of the maps for any
      trip. They will also save you the trouble of getting trapped in
      these sprawling developments that there seems to be no way to get
      into the next one where the cache is hidden.

      The localy created maps are also great but as we travel out of the
      area to see family often we needed the cd.

      James and Wendy

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill <chardon47@y...>
      wrote:
      > http://waas-up.blogspot.com/
      >
      > Check out Jason's maps...
      >
      > Lou Catozzi <txhipowr@a...> wrote:
      >
      > I have not received my new 60CS yet but I understand that the
      basemap
      > that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas but
      > don't even think of trying to find the Dallas Zoo, for example.
      Which
      > MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central Texas
      > goecaching and general automotive navigation?
      >
      > Lou AKA
      > TxHiPowr

      Service.

      > Bill Hatfield K5KCR
      >

      > "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." -
      Will Rogers
    • Barry Watson
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
        Thank you for that link!  Now I have a map of Austin without having to buy the City Select CDs.  Thanks so much

        Barry
        aka Doc Geo

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
          I can't open the citymaps. What program do I need?
          Thanks!

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
          <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
          > Thank you for that link! Now I have a map of Austin without
          having to
          > buy the City Select CDs. Thanks so much
          >
          > Barry
          > aka Doc Geo
          >
          > ________________________________

          GPSMAP
          > 60CS
          >

          > http://waas-up.blogspot.com/
          >
          > Check out Jason's maps...
          >
          > Lou Catozzi <txhipowr@a...> wrote:
          >

          > I have not received my new 60CS yet but I understand that the
          > basemap
          > that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas
          > but
          > don't even think of trying to find the Dallas Zoo, for
          example.
          > Which
          > MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central
          Texas
          > goecaching and general automotive navigation?
          >
          > Lou AKA
          > TxHiPowr
          >

          > Bill Hatfield K5KCR
          >

          > "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." -
          Will
          > Rogers

          subject=Unsub
          > scribe>

        • Barry Watson
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
            You need the loader program that is on that same web site.

            Barry

            <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
            > Thank you for that link!
            Now I have a map of Austin without
            having to
            > buy the City Select
            CDs.  Thanks so much

            > Barry
            > aka Doc
            Geo

            href="http://waas-up.blogspot.com/">http://waas-up.blogspot.com/

            <txhipowr@a...> wrote:

            >       I have not received my new 60CS yet but
            I understand that the
            > basemap

            that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas

            but
            >       don't even think of trying to find
            the Dallas Zoo, for
            example.
            > Which

                  MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central
            Texas
            >       goecaching and
            general automotive navigation?

                  Lou AKA

            TxHiPowr

            > Bill
            Hatfield  K5KCR

            > "There are 2 theories to arguing
            with a woman...neither works." -
            Will
            > Rogers

            > *

            subject=Unsub

            scribe>

            *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            > Service <

          • Jason Scarlett
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
              Here are some loading instructions...

              > I can't open the citymaps. What program do I need?
              > Thanks!

              INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS (Windows PC):
              1. Download the detail map data from http://waas-up.blogspot.com and
              unzip the IMG file to a place on your computer you can remember.

              2. Download the 3rd party IMG detail map upload utility from
              http://gps.chrisb.org/download/sendmap20.zip (a link is provided on
              the blog) and unzip the EXE to a place on your computer you can
              remember.

              3. Connect your data cable to your computer serial port.

              4. Connect your GPS to the data cable and from the Main Menu screen,
              select Setup then System. Change GPS field from Normal to GPS Off
              (this allows data to be transmitted via data cable).

              5. Exit the menus and get back to the Map screen. Select the Options
              button (second button from top right). Scroll down to Setup map.
              Move over to the "i" (information) button. Uncheck any loaded detail
              maps (note any maps shown will be erased during the upload process).
              Exit back to one of the main screens

              6. Run the sendmap20.exe application unziped in step 2

              7. There is a bug in the sendmap20.exe application in handling the
              115200 baud rate. If you leave port and baud rate set as "Auto,"
              (the default) it will try to use the 115200 baud rate and fail 90%
              of the time. To avoid this problem, manually set the baud rate by
              changing the "Port" to com1 or the correct value if you know what it
              is. This will allow you to change the Baud rate selection box
              from "Auto" to something under 115200. After setting the baud rate
              you can change the Port back to Auto if you don't know the correct
              setting.

              8. Click on the Add Maps button to add the IMG file you downloaded
              in step 1. (You can also add any number of Mapsource or CityMap IMG
              files you like to the list).

              9. Once you have all the maps you want listed, click on the Upload
              Selected Maps to GPS button. Send map will automatically connect to
              your unit and start the transfer.

              10. Watch the GPS screen it should read transferring data. If not,
              there is something wrong with the connection or cable. If the
              transfer goes wrong for any reason return to step 3. If successful,
              the the GPS will reboot with the new map an reset with GPS turned on
              (undoes step 4)

              If you uploaded multiple maps you will want to make sure to toggle
              on the correct map (see step 5). For each uploaded detail map you
              will see a Box around the map area until you pan your cursor into
              the box and zoom in. If your map display is set to "More" you will
              see the map after zooming to 800ft. (you will have to zoom in more
              to show if you are set to Normal, Less, or Least). The lower left
              corner of the display will show "Mapsource" or "Overzoom" when you
              are viewing the detail map data.

              There was also a user report that "declutter" option must be set to
              off (default setting).

              One final note: the 3rd party utility will clear the preinstalled
              Garmin Marine POI database and previously uploaded detail maps from
              the unit (Mapsource does this as well). The Garmin base map and any
              user waypoints, tracks, or routes will not be deleted. The Garmin
              Marine POI database can be downloaded and reinstalled from the
              Garmin website.
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                Download the Garmin upload app from the same site.

                1. Connect the PC Interface Cable to your computer serial port.
                2. Connect the Legend to the PC Interface Cable.
                3. Turn on the Legend and set to the GPS off mode.
                4. Go to the Map Page and then go to the On-Screen Page and Options Menu Button and select Setup Map.
                5. Use CLICK STICK to move to the sub-page marked with an �i� which will contain the map information.
                6. Use the CLICK STICK to un-check the existing map.
                7. On your computer, drag and drop the .IMG file containing the new map information over the sendmap.exe icon and the program will start up and load the new map to your Garmin.

                <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
                > Thank you for that link!  Now I have a map of Austin without
                having to
                > buy the City Select CDs.  Thanks so much

                > Barry
                > aka Doc Geo

                subject=Unsub

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                  Thanks, I'll give it a try!

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Scarlett"

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                    Is there any way to view the Austin Citymap on my PC before loading to
                    the GPS?
                    Thanks