Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] MapSource CD's for Garmin GPSMAP 60CS

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5 7:53 PM

      Check out Jason's maps...

      Lou Catozzi <txhipowr@...> wrote:

      I have not received my new 60CS yet but I understand that the basemap
      that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas but
      don't even think of trying to find the Dallas Zoo, for example. Which
      MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central Texas
      goecaching and general automotive navigation?

      Lou AKA
      TxHiPowr

      Bill Hatfield  K5KCR

      "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rogers

    • wendy and james
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5 9:15 PM
        If you are going to buy the Garmin Mapsource CD the one you want is
        City Select North America v6. It is the current map out. We use it
        a lot. It has all the streets accurate to about a year. It also
        gives you the ability to find resturants and other helpfull spots
        near you from your gps. This can be very helpful on road trips.
        Wendy likes to be able to move the cursor down the road 20 miles and
        find out what there may be to eat. We just load in the maps for
        whatever area we may be traveling through. The 60cs has a large
        memory so you will be able to load in a good bit of the maps for any
        trip. They will also save you the trouble of getting trapped in
        these sprawling developments that there seems to be no way to get
        into the next one where the cache is hidden.

        The localy created maps are also great but as we travel out of the
        area to see family often we needed the cd.

        James and Wendy

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill <chardon47@y...>
        wrote:
        > http://waas-up.blogspot.com/
        >
        > Check out Jason's maps...
        >
        > Lou Catozzi <txhipowr@a...> wrote:
        >
        > I have not received my new 60CS yet but I understand that the
        basemap
        > that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas but
        > don't even think of trying to find the Dallas Zoo, for example.
        Which
        > MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central Texas
        > goecaching and general automotive navigation?
        >
        > Lou AKA
        > TxHiPowr

        Service.

        > Bill Hatfield K5KCR
        >

        > "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." -
        Will Rogers
      • Barry Watson
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6 5:41 AM
          Thank you for that link!  Now I have a map of Austin without having to buy the City Select CDs.  Thanks so much

          Barry
          aka Doc Geo

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6 11:47 AM
            I can't open the citymaps. What program do I need?
            Thanks!

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
            <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
            > Thank you for that link! Now I have a map of Austin without
            having to
            > buy the City Select CDs. Thanks so much
            >
            > Barry
            > aka Doc Geo
            >
            > ________________________________

            GPSMAP
            > 60CS
            >

            > http://waas-up.blogspot.com/
            >
            > Check out Jason's maps...
            >
            > Lou Catozzi <txhipowr@a...> wrote:
            >

            > I have not received my new 60CS yet but I understand that the
            > basemap
            > that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas
            > but
            > don't even think of trying to find the Dallas Zoo, for
            example.
            > Which
            > MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central
            Texas
            > goecaching and general automotive navigation?
            >
            > Lou AKA
            > TxHiPowr
            >

            > Bill Hatfield K5KCR
            >

            > "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." -
            Will
            > Rogers

            subject=Unsub
            > scribe>

          • Barry Watson
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6 12:53 PM
              You need the loader program that is on that same web site.

              Barry

              <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
              > Thank you for that link!
              Now I have a map of Austin without
              having to
              > buy the City Select
              CDs.  Thanks so much

              > Barry
              > aka Doc
              Geo

              href="http://waas-up.blogspot.com/">http://waas-up.blogspot.com/

              <txhipowr@a...> wrote:

              >       I have not received my new 60CS yet but
              I understand that the
              > basemap

              that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas

              but
              >       don't even think of trying to find
              the Dallas Zoo, for
              example.
              > Which

                    MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central
              Texas
              >       goecaching and
              general automotive navigation?

                    Lou AKA

              TxHiPowr

              > Bill
              Hatfield  K5KCR

              > "There are 2 theories to arguing
              with a woman...neither works." -
              Will
              > Rogers

              > *

              subject=Unsub

              scribe>

              *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              > Service <

            • Jason Scarlett
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6 1:09 PM
                Here are some loading instructions...

                > I can't open the citymaps. What program do I need?
                > Thanks!

                INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS (Windows PC):
                1. Download the detail map data from http://waas-up.blogspot.com and
                unzip the IMG file to a place on your computer you can remember.

                2. Download the 3rd party IMG detail map upload utility from
                http://gps.chrisb.org/download/sendmap20.zip (a link is provided on
                the blog) and unzip the EXE to a place on your computer you can
                remember.

                3. Connect your data cable to your computer serial port.

                4. Connect your GPS to the data cable and from the Main Menu screen,
                select Setup then System. Change GPS field from Normal to GPS Off
                (this allows data to be transmitted via data cable).

                5. Exit the menus and get back to the Map screen. Select the Options
                button (second button from top right). Scroll down to Setup map.
                Move over to the "i" (information) button. Uncheck any loaded detail
                maps (note any maps shown will be erased during the upload process).
                Exit back to one of the main screens

                6. Run the sendmap20.exe application unziped in step 2

                7. There is a bug in the sendmap20.exe application in handling the
                115200 baud rate. If you leave port and baud rate set as "Auto,"
                (the default) it will try to use the 115200 baud rate and fail 90%
                of the time. To avoid this problem, manually set the baud rate by
                changing the "Port" to com1 or the correct value if you know what it
                is. This will allow you to change the Baud rate selection box
                from "Auto" to something under 115200. After setting the baud rate
                you can change the Port back to Auto if you don't know the correct
                setting.

                8. Click on the Add Maps button to add the IMG file you downloaded
                in step 1. (You can also add any number of Mapsource or CityMap IMG
                files you like to the list).

                9. Once you have all the maps you want listed, click on the Upload
                Selected Maps to GPS button. Send map will automatically connect to
                your unit and start the transfer.

                10. Watch the GPS screen it should read transferring data. If not,
                there is something wrong with the connection or cable. If the
                transfer goes wrong for any reason return to step 3. If successful,
                the the GPS will reboot with the new map an reset with GPS turned on
                (undoes step 4)

                If you uploaded multiple maps you will want to make sure to toggle
                on the correct map (see step 5). For each uploaded detail map you
                will see a Box around the map area until you pan your cursor into
                the box and zoom in. If your map display is set to "More" you will
                see the map after zooming to 800ft. (you will have to zoom in more
                to show if you are set to Normal, Less, or Least). The lower left
                corner of the display will show "Mapsource" or "Overzoom" when you
                are viewing the detail map data.

                There was also a user report that "declutter" option must be set to
                off (default setting).

                One final note: the 3rd party utility will clear the preinstalled
                Garmin Marine POI database and previously uploaded detail maps from
                the unit (Mapsource does this as well). The Garmin base map and any
                user waypoints, tracks, or routes will not be deleted. The Garmin
                Marine POI database can be downloaded and reinstalled from the
                Garmin website.
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6 1:25 PM
                  Download the Garmin upload app from the same site.

                  1. Connect the PC Interface Cable to your computer serial port.
                  2. Connect the Legend to the PC Interface Cable.
                  3. Turn on the Legend and set to the GPS off mode.
                  4. Go to the Map Page and then go to the On-Screen Page and Options Menu Button and select Setup Map.
                  5. Use CLICK STICK to move to the sub-page marked with an �i� which will contain the map information.
                  6. Use the CLICK STICK to un-check the existing map.
                  7. On your computer, drag and drop the .IMG file containing the new map information over the sendmap.exe icon and the program will start up and load the new map to your Garmin.

                  <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
                  > Thank you for that link!  Now I have a map of Austin without
                  having to
                  > buy the City Select CDs.  Thanks so much

                  > Barry
                  > aka Doc Geo

                  subject=Unsub

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6 1:37 PM
                    Thanks, I'll give it a try!

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Scarlett"

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 6 1:53 PM
                      Is there any way to view the Austin Citymap on my PC before loading to
                      the GPS?
                      Thanks