MapSource CD's for Garmin GPSMAP 60CS

  • Lou Catozzi
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
      I have not received my new 60CS yet but I understand that the basemap
      that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas but
      don't even think of trying to find the Dallas Zoo, for example. Which
      MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central Texas
      goecaching and general automotive navigation?

      Lou AKA
      TxHiPowr
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005

        Check out Jason's maps...

        Lou Catozzi <txhipowr@...> wrote:

        I have not received my new 60CS yet but I understand that the basemap
        that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas but
        don't even think of trying to find the Dallas Zoo, for example. Which
        MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central Texas
        goecaching and general automotive navigation?

        Lou AKA
        TxHiPowr

        Bill Hatfield  K5KCR

        "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rogers

      • wendy and james
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
          If you are going to buy the Garmin Mapsource CD the one you want is
          City Select North America v6. It is the current map out. We use it
          a lot. It has all the streets accurate to about a year. It also
          gives you the ability to find resturants and other helpfull spots
          near you from your gps. This can be very helpful on road trips.
          Wendy likes to be able to move the cursor down the road 20 miles and
          find out what there may be to eat. We just load in the maps for
          whatever area we may be traveling through. The 60cs has a large
          memory so you will be able to load in a good bit of the maps for any
          trip. They will also save you the trouble of getting trapped in
          these sprawling developments that there seems to be no way to get
          into the next one where the cache is hidden.

          The localy created maps are also great but as we travel out of the
          area to see family often we needed the cd.

          James and Wendy

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill <chardon47@y...>
          wrote:
          > http://waas-up.blogspot.com/
          >
          > Check out Jason's maps...
          >
          > Lou Catozzi <txhipowr@a...> wrote:
          >
          > I have not received my new 60CS yet but I understand that the
          basemap
          > that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas but
          > don't even think of trying to find the Dallas Zoo, for example.
          Which
          > MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central Texas
          > goecaching and general automotive navigation?
          >
          > Lou AKA
          > TxHiPowr

          Service.

          > Bill Hatfield K5KCR
          >

          > "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." -
          Will Rogers
        • Barry Watson
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
            Thank you for that link!  Now I have a map of Austin without having to buy the City Select CDs.  Thanks so much

            Barry
            aka Doc Geo

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
              I can't open the citymaps. What program do I need?
              Thanks!

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
              <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
              > Thank you for that link! Now I have a map of Austin without
              having to
              > buy the City Select CDs. Thanks so much
              >
              > Barry
              > aka Doc Geo
              >
              > ________________________________

              GPSMAP
              > 60CS
              >

              > http://waas-up.blogspot.com/
              >
              > Check out Jason's maps...
              >
              > Lou Catozzi <txhipowr@a...> wrote:
              >

              > I have not received my new 60CS yet but I understand that the
              > basemap
              > that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas
              > but
              > don't even think of trying to find the Dallas Zoo, for
              example.
              > Which
              > MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central
              Texas
              > goecaching and general automotive navigation?
              >
              > Lou AKA
              > TxHiPowr
              >

              > Bill Hatfield K5KCR
              >

              > "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." -
              Will
              > Rogers

              subject=Unsub
              > scribe>

            • Barry Watson
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                You need the loader program that is on that same web site.

                Barry

                <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
                > Thank you for that link!
                Now I have a map of Austin without
                having to
                > buy the City Select
                CDs.  Thanks so much

                > Barry
                > aka Doc
                Geo

                href="http://waas-up.blogspot.com/">http://waas-up.blogspot.com/

                <txhipowr@a...> wrote:

                >       I have not received my new 60CS yet but
                I understand that the
                > basemap

                that comes with it is basically useless - you can find Dallas

                but
                >       don't even think of trying to find
                the Dallas Zoo, for
                example.
                > Which

                      MapSource CD's do you all recommend that I get for Central
                Texas
                >       goecaching and
                general automotive navigation?

                      Lou AKA

                TxHiPowr

                > Bill
                Hatfield  K5KCR

                > "There are 2 theories to arguing
                with a woman...neither works." -
                Will
                > Rogers

                > *

                subject=Unsub

                scribe>

                *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                > Service <

              • Jason Scarlett
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                  Here are some loading instructions...

                  > I can't open the citymaps. What program do I need?
                  > Thanks!

                  INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS (Windows PC):
                  1. Download the detail map data from http://waas-up.blogspot.com and
                  unzip the IMG file to a place on your computer you can remember.

                  2. Download the 3rd party IMG detail map upload utility from
                  http://gps.chrisb.org/download/sendmap20.zip (a link is provided on
                  the blog) and unzip the EXE to a place on your computer you can
                  remember.

                  3. Connect your data cable to your computer serial port.

                  4. Connect your GPS to the data cable and from the Main Menu screen,
                  select Setup then System. Change GPS field from Normal to GPS Off
                  (this allows data to be transmitted via data cable).

                  5. Exit the menus and get back to the Map screen. Select the Options
                  button (second button from top right). Scroll down to Setup map.
                  Move over to the "i" (information) button. Uncheck any loaded detail
                  maps (note any maps shown will be erased during the upload process).
                  Exit back to one of the main screens

                  6. Run the sendmap20.exe application unziped in step 2

                  7. There is a bug in the sendmap20.exe application in handling the
                  115200 baud rate. If you leave port and baud rate set as "Auto,"
                  (the default) it will try to use the 115200 baud rate and fail 90%
                  of the time. To avoid this problem, manually set the baud rate by
                  changing the "Port" to com1 or the correct value if you know what it
                  is. This will allow you to change the Baud rate selection box
                  from "Auto" to something under 115200. After setting the baud rate
                  you can change the Port back to Auto if you don't know the correct
                  setting.

                  8. Click on the Add Maps button to add the IMG file you downloaded
                  in step 1. (You can also add any number of Mapsource or CityMap IMG
                  files you like to the list).

                  9. Once you have all the maps you want listed, click on the Upload
                  Selected Maps to GPS button. Send map will automatically connect to
                  your unit and start the transfer.

                  10. Watch the GPS screen it should read transferring data. If not,
                  there is something wrong with the connection or cable. If the
                  transfer goes wrong for any reason return to step 3. If successful,
                  the the GPS will reboot with the new map an reset with GPS turned on
                  (undoes step 4)

                  If you uploaded multiple maps you will want to make sure to toggle
                  on the correct map (see step 5). For each uploaded detail map you
                  will see a Box around the map area until you pan your cursor into
                  the box and zoom in. If your map display is set to "More" you will
                  see the map after zooming to 800ft. (you will have to zoom in more
                  to show if you are set to Normal, Less, or Least). The lower left
                  corner of the display will show "Mapsource" or "Overzoom" when you
                  are viewing the detail map data.

                  There was also a user report that "declutter" option must be set to
                  off (default setting).

                  One final note: the 3rd party utility will clear the preinstalled
                  Garmin Marine POI database and previously uploaded detail maps from
                  the unit (Mapsource does this as well). The Garmin base map and any
                  user waypoints, tracks, or routes will not be deleted. The Garmin
                  Marine POI database can be downloaded and reinstalled from the
                  Garmin website.
                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                    Download the Garmin upload app from the same site.

                    1. Connect the PC Interface Cable to your computer serial port.
                    2. Connect the Legend to the PC Interface Cable.
                    3. Turn on the Legend and set to the GPS off mode.
                    4. Go to the Map Page and then go to the On-Screen Page and Options Menu Button and select Setup Map.
                    5. Use CLICK STICK to move to the sub-page marked with an �i� which will contain the map information.
                    6. Use the CLICK STICK to un-check the existing map.
                    7. On your computer, drag and drop the .IMG file containing the new map information over the sendmap.exe icon and the program will start up and load the new map to your Garmin.

                    <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
                    > Thank you for that link!  Now I have a map of Austin without
                    having to
                    > buy the City Select CDs.  Thanks so much

                    > Barry
                    > aka Doc Geo

                    subject=Unsub

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                      Thanks, I'll give it a try!

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Scarlett"

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                        Is there any way to view the Austin Citymap on my PC before loading to
                        the GPS?
                        Thanks