Re: Google Maps now has Satellite photos

  • gbmorrow
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
      While its not listed in the instructions, you can search by latitude
      and longitude by entering them in digital degree format in the search
      box..unfortunately, it will not plot the coordinates.....

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer"
      <markgessner@c...> wrote:

      > maps.google.com, upper right hand corner of the screen note that there
      > is now a link for "Satellite." Should be helpful hunting the elusive
      > tupperware in the wild. Now if they only provided a way to input
      > lat/lon coords...
    • Nedry
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
        On 4/5/05 at 7:59 PM +0000 you wrote:
        >While its not listed in the instructions, you can search by latitude
        >and longitude by entering them in digital degree format in the search
        >box..unfortunately, it will not plot the coordinates.....

        This format works too. For maps:
        <http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.3993,-97.6858>

        For Satellites:
        <http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.3993,-97.6858&t=k>

        Then all you need to do is zoom in!

        Nedry
      • Michele Pain
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
          Very Cool - Now you can get the Lat/Lon with ease.

          My question is - which room of my house is:
          30.3234252929687 ,-97.71759910878376
          Or maybe, which tile in my bathroom, or which 3" strip of hardwood on
          my floor.
          Amazing!
          Thanks for the info.
          Shelly

          On Apr 5, 2005, at 2:57 PM, Nedry wrote:

          > On 4/5/05 at 6:16 PM Lowracer wrote:
          > >Now if they only provided a way to input lat/lon coords...
          >
          > Googles is using coords for the URLs.  Take a look at the URL after
          > the
          > following page loads.  You can get the current URL (with coords) of
          > the map
          > from the "Link to this page" link at the top right of the page.
          >
          > Here is Walnut Creek Park:
          > <http://tinyurl.com/4y8t5>
          >
          > Nedry

          > Service.

        • Michele Pain
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
            Maybe I can use this to find "Plane old Micro" I'm sure not going to
            find it any other way!

            On Apr 5, 2005, at 2:57 PM, Nedry wrote:

            > On 4/5/05 at 6:16 PM Lowracer wrote:
            > >Now if they only provided a way to input lat/lon coords...
            >
            > Googles is using coords for the URLs.  Take a look at the URL after
            > the
            > following page loads.  You can get the current URL (with coords) of
            > the map
            > from the "Link to this page" link at the top right of the page.
            >
            > Here is Walnut Creek Park:
            > <http://tinyurl.com/4y8t5>
            >
            > Nedry

            > Service.

          • Nedry
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
              At first I thought I had found an Easter Egg. It looks like someone had
              way too much
              time (or money).

              <http://tinyurl.com/5ks73>

              Here is an interesting article about Spatial Resolution which also explains
              the above image:
              <http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/newsletter/SpatialRes/default5.htm>

              Nedry