Google Maps now has Satellite photos

  • Lowracer
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
      maps.google.com, upper right hand corner of the screen note that there
      is now a link for "Satellite." Should be helpful hunting the elusive
      tupperware in the wild. Now if they only provided a way to input
      lat/lon coords...
    • Nedry
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
        On 4/5/05 at 6:16 PM Lowracer wrote:
        >Now if they only provided a way to input lat/lon coords...

        Googles is using coords for the URLs. Take a look at the URL after the
        following page loads. You can get the current URL (with coords) of the map
        from the "Link to this page" link at the top right of the page.

        Here is Walnut Creek Park:
        <http://tinyurl.com/4y8t5>

        Nedry
      • gbmorrow
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
          While its not listed in the instructions, you can search by latitude
          and longitude by entering them in digital degree format in the search
          box..unfortunately, it will not plot the coordinates.....

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer"
          <markgessner@c...> wrote:

          > maps.google.com, upper right hand corner of the screen note that there
          > is now a link for "Satellite." Should be helpful hunting the elusive
          > tupperware in the wild. Now if they only provided a way to input
          > lat/lon coords...
        • Nedry
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
            On 4/5/05 at 7:59 PM +0000 you wrote:
            >While its not listed in the instructions, you can search by latitude
            >and longitude by entering them in digital degree format in the search
            >box..unfortunately, it will not plot the coordinates.....

            This format works too. For maps:
            <http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.3993,-97.6858>

            For Satellites:
            <http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.3993,-97.6858&t=k>

            Then all you need to do is zoom in!

            Nedry
          • Michele Pain
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
              Very Cool - Now you can get the Lat/Lon with ease.

              My question is - which room of my house is:
              30.3234252929687 ,-97.71759910878376
              Or maybe, which tile in my bathroom, or which 3" strip of hardwood on
              my floor.
              Amazing!
              Thanks for the info.
              Shelly

              On Apr 5, 2005, at 2:57 PM, Nedry wrote:

              > On 4/5/05 at 6:16 PM Lowracer wrote:
              > >Now if they only provided a way to input lat/lon coords...
              >
              > Googles is using coords for the URLs.  Take a look at the URL after
              > the
              > following page loads.  You can get the current URL (with coords) of
              > the map
              > from the "Link to this page" link at the top right of the page.
              >
              > Here is Walnut Creek Park:
              > <http://tinyurl.com/4y8t5>
              >
              > Nedry

              > Service.

            • Michele Pain
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
                Maybe I can use this to find "Plane old Micro" I'm sure not going to
                find it any other way!

                On Apr 5, 2005, at 2:57 PM, Nedry wrote:

                > On 4/5/05 at 6:16 PM Lowracer wrote:
                > >Now if they only provided a way to input lat/lon coords...
                >
                > Googles is using coords for the URLs.  Take a look at the URL after
                > the
                > following page loads.  You can get the current URL (with coords) of
                > the map
                > from the "Link to this page" link at the top right of the page.
                >
                > Here is Walnut Creek Park:
                > <http://tinyurl.com/4y8t5>
                >
                > Nedry

                > Service.

              • Nedry
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
                  At first I thought I had found an Easter Egg. It looks like someone had
                  way too much
                  time (or money).

                  <http://tinyurl.com/5ks73>

                  Here is an interesting article about Spatial Resolution which also explains
                  the above image:
                  <http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/newsletter/SpatialRes/default5.htm>

                  Nedry