RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] ot: PayPal Phishing?

  • Grajek
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 5 7:05 AM
      From: gbmorrow [mailto:gmorrow@...]
      Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 6:41 PM
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] ot: PayPal Phishing?

      You've gotten a lot of good advice about this, but I have just one
      thing to add..when you get any kind of email like this, you can
      forward it to "spoof@@..." (two @@ just so yahoo won't truncate
      the email address...only use one in the real email)...if you email has
      the option to forward with all headers, that it the best way...I don't
      know how much the really follow up on these, but it can (sometimes)
      help them track down the folks sending out the emails...There is also
      a similar address for phishmail that looks like its from ebay
      (spoof@@...)...In general, if it has anything to do with money, I
      never follow a link from an email, but will go to the site using my
      own bookmarks instead...

      While some of the spoofs are so amateur as to be laughable, some are
      pretty sophisticate...the fake websites the links go to can look
      real..and some are even using unicode in the links so that the text
      appears to be the correct website when its not...

      Here's some more info:
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5519990/
      http://www.mybluelight.com/support/info/anti-phish.html
      http://www.financially-fit.com/phishing.htm

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Dytrich"
      <lkd53@a...> wrote:

      > I know a lot of you use PayPal, so I thought I'd ask about this. I
      > got an e-mail from PayPal, but I'm not sure it's legit. Has anybody
      > else had this happen? They had it addressed to a bunch of other Road
      > Runner customers too.
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > Kevin

      Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.