basic geocaching literature

  • Essiar
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
      I am going to Sarah's school next wednesday (my 9 yr old daughter for
      those that don't know her) to teach them about geocaching. I'll give a
      little talk, the class will go around the school grounds with my gps
      and find a couple of items I will hide. The teacher is having each
      child bring in a small item that I will place in a new cache listed
      under the class' new gc.com name and they will "watch" it on their
      classroom computer as people find and log it. I would also like to
      hand out copies of a simple basic intro to geocaching type sheet of
      paper. I have seen a very good one that is simple enough for 9 yr olds
      to understand but now I can't seem to locate it. Can anyone point me
      to it or another one you recommend? Thanks!
      P.S. You know what 20 rugrats running around the playground with 1 gps
      is going to look like?!!! :-)
    • Karen

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
          Sounds like fun! I've led a few adventures like this with adults and
          children alike. I actually think its easier to do with one GPSr and
          play "follow the leader". Otherwise you'll need a GPS savvy person to
          go with each GPSr/user for guidance. You can switch leaders a few
          times to give a few more people a chance.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar" <essiar@t...>
          wrote:

          > I am going to Sarah's school next wednesday (my 9 yr old daughter for
          > those that don't know her) to teach them about geocaching. I'll give a
          > little talk, the class will go around the school grounds with my gps
          > and find a couple of items I will hide. The teacher is having each
          > child bring in a small item that I will place in a new cache listed
          > under the class' new gc.com name and they will "watch" it on their
          > classroom computer as people find and log it. I would also like to
          > hand out copies of a simple basic intro to geocaching type sheet of
          > paper. I have seen a very good one that is simple enough for 9 yr olds
          > to understand but now I can't seem to locate it. Can anyone point me
          > to it or another one you recommend? Thanks!
          > P.S. You know what 20 rugrats running around the playground with 1 gps
          > is going to look like?!!! :-)
        • Chris Pencis
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar" <essiar@t...>
            wrote:
            <snip>

            > classroom computer as people find and log it. I would also like to
            > hand out copies of a simple basic intro to geocaching type sheet of
            > paper. I have seen a very good one that is simple enough for 9 yr olds
            > to understand but now I can't seem to locate it. Can anyone point me
            > to it or another one you recommend? Thanks!
            <snip>

            How about this one:

            http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/brochure.html
          • Essiar
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
              Yes, that's the one I was looking for. Thanks!

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Pencis"
              <cpencis@y...> wrote:

              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar"
              <essiar@t...>
              > wrote:
              > <snip>
              >
              > > classroom computer as people find and log it. I would also like
              > > hand out copies of a simple basic intro to geocaching type sheet
              of
              > > paper. I have seen a very good one that is simple enough for 9
              yr olds
              > > to understand but now I can't seem to locate it. Can anyone
              point me
              > > to it or another one you recommend? Thanks!
              > <snip>
              >
              > How about this one:
              >
              > http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/brochure.html
            • Wendy
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
                Essiar -

                I just wanted to say that this is a great idea. The use of GPSrs
                ties into so many lessons. As a teacher, I see so many benefits
                that the students will gain from your visit. I hope that you enjoy
                the visit, as much as the students will.

                - Wendy (WolfnWendy)

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
                  Why thank you Wendy. I am really looking forward to it. I dropped an
                  ammo can off at the classroom today and the kids are going to bring
                  in items from home to fill it up. Guess that means there will be
                  new cache up north next wed or thurs! :-)

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wendy"
                  <wendynwolf@y...> wrote:

                  > Essiar -
                  >
                  > I just wanted to say that this is a great idea. The use of GPSrs
                  > ties into so many lessons. As a teacher, I see so many benefits
                  > that the students will gain from your visit. I hope that you
                  enjoy
                  > the visit, as much as the students will.
                  >
                  > - Wendy (WolfnWendy)
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar"
                  > <essiar@t...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yes, that's the one I was looking for. Thanks!
                  > >
                  > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Pencis"
                  > > <cpencis@y...> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar"
                  > > <essiar@t...>
                  > > > wrote:
                  > > > <snip>

                  > like
                  > sheet
                  > > of
                  > > yr olds
                  > > point me
                  > > > <snip>
                  > > >
                  > > > How about this one:
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/brochure.html
                • wendy and james
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
                    That is very cool that you are doing that for kids. The only problem
                    I have seen any problem with lately is people putting bubble gum in
                    cache containers in this area. The big concern of course is someone
                    actually deciding to eat a peice of gum an anonymous person leaves
                    behind. I have been discarding of any of it I have come across. Has
                    anyone else seen similar problem items showing up lately?

                    James
                  • Barry Watson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
                      Message
                      Not to mention the fire ants food draws....