RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] PayPal Phishing?

  • Anthony & Lynn
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
      DO NOT OPEN THE LINK ON THAT EMAIL, IF YOU DO, DO NOT ENTER ANY INFO!!!!

      I got the same email, and forwarded to PayPal, they confirmed that it DID
      NOT come from them and they are investigating! If you have entered any
      information already, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD NOW! And contact PayPal to let
      them know, and check your account for unauthorized activity!

      Anthony

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
        You know how on web pages you can put your mouse cursor over a link and see what the link will send you to at the bottom of your browser?
        You can find out in an email that is formatted using HTML to look like a web page (basically anything that isn't just straight text...)

        Right click on the body of the email.
        Click on "View Source" (at least using Outlook).
        Find the text of the link.
        You can search for it....
        Right before the text that is in the link, is where you will go if you click on that link.
        Look for this: "<A href=" .  What follows is where you will go if you click
        on the link.
        If it doesn't say www.paypal.com/(something) , then you can tell right away that it is phishing...

        Of course intuition should tell you to just delete it
        anyway without having to check....

        Barry

        Paypal won't you anything asking to verify accounts or anything else by email. That stuff is bogus and needs to be deleted. When in doubt, check here...

        I know a lot of you use PayPal, so I thought I'd ask about this.  I
        got an e-mail from PayPal, but I'm not sure it's legit.  Has anybody
        else had this happen?  They had it addressed to a bunch of other Road
        Runner customers too.

        thanks,

        Kevin

        Bill Hatfield  K5KCR

        "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rogers

      • Di and Richard
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
          Message
          Need some advice...  I took a travel bug from Homing In today.  It is not officially in Homing In, it's officially in Gilleland Creek Cache.  It was logged in there on 3/22.  Should I grab it or wait a while?  I want to place the bug this weekend.

          This is the MONSTER Dracula bug, so if you've taken it from Gilleland and put it in Homing In, go log it!  (email me privately and I'll give you the tracking number)

          --Di (no, we're not headed to Transylvania, I just couldn't resist taking it!!)
        • gbmorrow
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
            You've gotten a lot of good advice about this, but I have just one
            thing to add..when you get any kind of email like this, you can
            forward it to "spoof@@..." (two @@ just so yahoo won't truncate
            the email address...only use one in the real email)...if you email has
            the option to forward with all headers, that it the best way...I don't
            know how much the really follow up on these, but it can (sometimes)
            help them track down the folks sending out the emails...There is also
            a similar address for phishmail that looks like its from ebay
            (spoof@@...)...In general, if it has anything to do with money, I
            never follow a link from an email, but will go to the site using my
            own bookmarks instead...

            While some of the spoofs are so amateur as to be laughable, some are
            pretty sophisticate...the fake websites the links go to can look
            real..and some are even using unicode in the links so that the text
            appears to be the correct website when its not...

            Here's some more info:
            http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5519990/
            http://www.mybluelight.com/support/info/anti-phish.html
            http://www.financially-fit.com/phishing.htm

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Dytrich"
            <lkd53@a...> wrote:

            > I know a lot of you use PayPal, so I thought I'd ask about this. I
            > got an e-mail from PayPal, but I'm not sure it's legit. Has anybody
            > else had this happen? They had it addressed to a bunch of other Road
            > Runner customers too.
            >
            > thanks,
            >
            > Kevin
          • Christopher Holland
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
              It hasn't been long enough that I'd accuse the last holder of being
              delinquent in logging, but I would e-mail them to ask that they go
              ahead and perform that action. Wait a few days after you attempt
              contact then go ahead and grab it. Be sure to log it into the cache
              where you found it and back out again so it accrues the travel miles.

              On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:05:56 -0600, Di and Richard <dirich@...> wrote:

              > Need some advice... I took a travel bug from Homing In today. It is not
              > officially in Homing In, it's officially in Gilleland Creek Cache. It was
              > logged in there on 3/22. Should I grab it or wait a while? I want to place
              > the bug this weekend.
              >
              > This is the MONSTER Dracula bug, so if you've taken it from Gilleland and
              > put it in Homing In, go log it! (email me privately and I'll give you the
              > tracking number)
              >
              > --Di (no, we're not headed to Transylvania, I just couldn't resist taking
              > it!!)
              > dirich@...
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              http://www.stomptokyo.com/
            • Kevin Dytrich
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 28, 2005
                Thanks everbody for the info. This is the first time I've ever been
                "Phished" and I wasn't sure about it. I didn't click on the link. I
                also reported it to PayPal.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony & Lynn"
                <anthony-and-lynn@s...> wrote:
                > DO NOT OPEN THE LINK ON THAT EMAIL, IF YOU DO, DO NOT ENTER ANY INFO!!!!
                >
                > I got the same email, and forwarded to PayPal, they confirmed that
                it DID
                > NOT come from them and they are investigating! If you have entered any
                > information already, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD NOW! And contact PayPal to let
                > them know, and check your account for unauthorized activity!
                >

                > Anthony

              • Grajek
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005

                  <lkd53@a...> wrote:

                  > I know a lot of you use PayPal, so I thought I'd ask about this. I
                  > got an e-mail from PayPal, but I'm not sure it's legit. Has anybody
                  > else had this happen? They had it addressed to a bunch of other Road
                  > Runner customers too.
                  >
                  > thanks,
                  >
                  > Kevin

                  Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.