PayPal Phishing?

  • Kevin Dytrich
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
      I know a lot of you use PayPal, so I thought I'd ask about this. I
      got an e-mail from PayPal, but I'm not sure it's legit. Has anybody
      else had this happen? They had it addressed to a bunch of other Road
      Runner customers too.

      thanks,

      Kevin
    • Henry Rohlfs
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
        It is phishing. Go to paypal's website to see its policy on sending
        emails and asking for personal info. I got one of those several months
        ago and it seemed "phishy" to me, too. I sent a coyp of it to PayPal for
        their records.

        >>> lkd53@... 3/25/2005 5:08:25 PM >>>

        I know a lot of you use PayPal, so I thought I'd ask about this. I
        got an e-mail from PayPal, but I'm not sure it's legit. Has anybody
        else had this happen? They had it addressed to a bunch of other Road
        Runner customers too.

        thanks,

        Kevin

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
          Paypal won't you anything asking to verify accounts or anything else by email. That stuff is bogus and needs to be deleted. When in doubt, check here...

          I know a lot of you use PayPal, so I thought I'd ask about this.  I
          got an e-mail from PayPal, but I'm not sure it's legit.  Has anybody
          else had this happen?  They had it addressed to a bunch of other Road
          Runner customers too.

          thanks,

          Kevin

          Bill Hatfield  K5KCR

          "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rogers

        • Barry Watson
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
            Don't answer it...

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
              DO NOT OPEN THE LINK ON THAT EMAIL, IF YOU DO, DO NOT ENTER ANY INFO!!!!

              I got the same email, and forwarded to PayPal, they confirmed that it DID
              NOT come from them and they are investigating! If you have entered any
              information already, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD NOW! And contact PayPal to let
              them know, and check your account for unauthorized activity!

              Anthony

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
                You know how on web pages you can put your mouse cursor over a link and see what the link will send you to at the bottom of your browser?
                You can find out in an email that is formatted using HTML to look like a web page (basically anything that isn't just straight text...)

                Right click on the body of the email.
                Click on "View Source" (at least using Outlook).
                Find the text of the link.
                You can search for it....
                Right before the text that is in the link, is where you will go if you click on that link.
                Look for this: "<A href=" .  What follows is where you will go if you click
                on the link.
                If it doesn't say www.paypal.com/(something) , then you can tell right away that it is phishing...

                Of course intuition should tell you to just delete it
                anyway without having to check....

                Barry

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
                  Message
                  Need some advice...  I took a travel bug from Homing In today.  It is not officially in Homing In, it's officially in Gilleland Creek Cache.  It was logged in there on 3/22.  Should I grab it or wait a while?  I want to place the bug this weekend.

                  This is the MONSTER Dracula bug, so if you've taken it from Gilleland and put it in Homing In, go log it!  (email me privately and I'll give you the tracking number)

                  --Di (no, we're not headed to Transylvania, I just couldn't resist taking it!!)
                • gbmorrow
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
                    You've gotten a lot of good advice about this, but I have just one
                    thing to add..when you get any kind of email like this, you can
                    forward it to "spoof@@..." (two @@ just so yahoo won't truncate
                    the email address...only use one in the real email)...if you email has
                    the option to forward with all headers, that it the best way...I don't
                    know how much the really follow up on these, but it can (sometimes)
                    help them track down the folks sending out the emails...There is also
                    a similar address for phishmail that looks like its from ebay
                    (spoof@@...)...In general, if it has anything to do with money, I
                    never follow a link from an email, but will go to the site using my
                    own bookmarks instead...

                    While some of the spoofs are so amateur as to be laughable, some are
                    pretty sophisticate...the fake websites the links go to can look
                    real..and some are even using unicode in the links so that the text
                    appears to be the correct website when its not...

                    Here's some more info:
                    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5519990/
                    http://www.mybluelight.com/support/info/anti-phish.html
                    http://www.financially-fit.com/phishing.htm

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Dytrich"
                    <lkd53@a...> wrote:

                    > I know a lot of you use PayPal, so I thought I'd ask about this. I
                    > got an e-mail from PayPal, but I'm not sure it's legit. Has anybody
                    > else had this happen? They had it addressed to a bunch of other Road
                    > Runner customers too.
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    >
                    > Kevin
                  • Christopher Holland
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 25, 2005
                      It hasn't been long enough that I'd accuse the last holder of being
                      delinquent in logging, but I would e-mail them to ask that they go
                      ahead and perform that action. Wait a few days after you attempt
                      contact then go ahead and grab it. Be sure to log it into the cache
                      where you found it and back out again so it accrues the travel miles.

                      On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:05:56 -0600, Di and Richard <dirich@...> wrote:

                      > Need some advice... I took a travel bug from Homing In today. It is not
                      > officially in Homing In, it's officially in Gilleland Creek Cache. It was
                      > logged in there on 3/22. Should I grab it or wait a while? I want to place
                      > the bug this weekend.
                      >
                      > This is the MONSTER Dracula bug, so if you've taken it from Gilleland and
                      > put it in Homing In, go log it! (email me privately and I'll give you the
                      > tracking number)
                      >
                      > --Di (no, we're not headed to Transylvania, I just couldn't resist taking
                      > it!!)
                      > dirich@...
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      http://www.stomptokyo.com/
                    • Kevin Dytrich
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 28, 2005
                        Thanks everbody for the info. This is the first time I've ever been
                        "Phished" and I wasn't sure about it. I didn't click on the link. I
                        also reported it to PayPal.

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony & Lynn"
                        <anthony-and-lynn@s...> wrote:
                        > DO NOT OPEN THE LINK ON THAT EMAIL, IF YOU DO, DO NOT ENTER ANY INFO!!!!
                        >
                        > I got the same email, and forwarded to PayPal, they confirmed that
                        it DID
                        > NOT come from them and they are investigating! If you have entered any
                        > information already, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD NOW! And contact PayPal to let
                        > them know, and check your account for unauthorized activity!
                        >

                        > Anthony

                      • Grajek
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005

                          <lkd53@a...> wrote:

                          > I know a lot of you use PayPal, so I thought I'd ask about this. I
                          > got an e-mail from PayPal, but I'm not sure it's legit. Has anybody
                          > else had this happen? They had it addressed to a bunch of other Road
                          > Runner customers too.
                          >
                          > thanks,
                          >
                          > Kevin

                          Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.