Re: The Challenge

  • gtbevo2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
      Hey! I'm there! I'm there!! Candy just left me off the list. I've
      had my campsite reserved for weeks. I'm even bringing my sister who
      lives in North Tx territory!!

      Alyson

      <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
      > I just saw the list for the Challenge.
      > What I want to know is WHERE IS
      >
      > Bilderback
      > GTBevo
      > JoeKing
      > Big Mo
      > TxBigFoot
      > TxHiPower
      > Blizzard
      > Alan
      > Grajek
      > Team GeoDillo
      > Shelly Pain
      > and anybody who went last year
      > and anybody who's new this year.
      >
      > It's NOT too late to get on board here! It's all about having a
      fun weekend, lots of food, and LOTS OF GEOCACHING!!!!!!

      > Mrs. Captain Picard
      > Julie

      the send button somehow. I have a few messages that came in since it
      went out, some of which I knew but some of which I didn't. I will
      incorporate that info, and send out another message with info I'm
      still missing. Sorry 'bout that!

      Centex Team lodging, registration, strategy, food, and lord knows
      what else -- in the next few days!

      > People on this list ... if you are on a Yahoo mailing list and you
      are getting a duplicate of this email directly from me, please drop
      me a line so I know the mailing list is enough. Otherwise I will
      continue to copy you directly so you know what's going on with our
      team.

      > Has everyone sent in their registration to Billie McCain in
      Dallas? If you are on this list and HAVE NOT, then WHAT ARE YOU
      WAITING FOR?? Be aware the fee went up to $5 last week. Tomorrow is
      the deadline for the BBQ meal, so make sure you pay for that if you
      wish, as well.

      > Lodging: I have not received info from everyone on this list
      regarding who is camping, and who is arriving Thursday night, Friday
      early, Friday late, or Saturday early. If there is NOT a note next
      to your name below, PLEASE send me your lodging and arrival info!
      Thanks.

      > Now, is there anyone you KNOW is going to the challenge, and I've
      missed listing them here? PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

      > Anthony & Lynn plus 3 camping, spot a arr mid-day Fri,
      hiding if needed
      > CindyFrag camping spot d arr late Thurs
      > Chaz camping? arriving ?
      > cpnowak (5) camping ? arriving ?
      > Cybercat camping spot d arriving Thurs
      > BabyA (or is this supposed to be Aly Baby?) camping spot
      c arriving ?
      > bbelk and Colleen camping ? arriving ?
      > HuggyBearFbg camping spot c arriving ?
      > JnJWalla hotel arrive Fri pm or Sat am
      > JunkYardDogs camping, spot e arriving noonish Fri
      > LibertyLady camping, spot f arriving ?
      > Moosiegirl hotel arriving Thurs. night or early Fri
      > Ms_Behavin camping spot d arriving Thurs
      > PetenMike camping, spot e arriving noonish Fri
      > Ranger Jon camping spot c arriving ?
      > SATXBiker camping, spot a arriving Fri pm
      > Sawdust92 camping, looking for a spot arriving ?
      > Ssassquatch & friend camping, spot b arriving Thurs pm
      > Starbulls camping ? arriving ?
      > Stomp_Tokyo camping ? arriving ?Team Tiger camping ?
      arriving ?
      > TexasMeMaw camping spot d arr late Thurs
      > The Outlaw hotel, arr Fri night
      > TreyB camping spot ? arriving late Thurs or early Fri
      > Wanakenagirl camping spot d arriving ?
      > WAAS-UP camping spot g arriving late Fri
      >
      > Wild Sharks camping? arriving ?
      > WildGooseChase camping? arriving ?
      >
      > It looks as if we have around 40 on our team this year,
      > smaller than the other teams, but
      > 1) that's our biggest team ever!! WooHOO!!
      > and
      > 2) THAT WILL NOT DETER US FROM OUR GOAL --
      > VICTORY!!!
      >
      > Candy Lind <mailto:candylind@e...> candylind@e...
      > "Hello, my name is Candy, I go by Moosiegirl, and I am a
      GEOCACHER."
      http://www.geocaching.com in Texas: <http://www.txga.net>
      http://www.txga.net
      > in the Austin area:
      >

      > All the world's our stage,
      > And all the men and women merely geocachers!
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129q66311/M=298184.6018725.7038619.30011
      76/D=groups/S=1706113934:HM/EXP=1109969015/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gsl
      f/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here
      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=955534
      843>

      > _____

    • Cybercat
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
        Message
        All of us in SA have been asking the same question--Where's Bilderback? for the past few months. He's in hiding for some reason and none of us know why.  Believe me, we have been pleading with him to come back, but nothing has worked.  :-(
        Jana

        Candy Lind    candylind@...
        I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
        Geocaching worldwide:
        http://www.geocaching.com     in Texas:  http://www.txga.net
        in the Austin area:

        All the world's our stage,
        And all the men and women merely geocachers!

      • D
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
          Message

          I hope to be there also. Camping in my trailer, no reservations yet soooooo.

          DespicableD2

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17, 2009
            For all of you who weren't able to make it out to the Texas Challenge this weekend, it was AMAZING!  Ok, so I'm not the most unbiased person, but everyone I saw was having a great time.  There were so many people working hard to make it happen.  The weather started out so bad, and we just crossed our fingers and made it happen.

            Here are some of my favorite moments:

            The whole success of the Competitive Challenge hinged on our ability to get a number of orienteering punches hidden on Enchanted Rock by Saturday morning.  Thursday, grnberet2b, imapylet and I were out there and managed to get most of our punches placed on Enchanted Rock during a brief clearing of the clouds.  When the other team members came out on Friday, it was raining pretty steady, and FG3, Waterweasel, Tygress, FoxfireX, Kitara and grnberet2b were huddled in their cars waiting for a chance to get out on the rock without risking their lives.  I was back in town working on Casual Challenge things fretting about the rain and wondering what we'd do if we couldn't get the course set.  Outside, it was drizzling steadily.  All of a sudden, grnbere2b calls and says all the punches are OUT!  We had the green light as long as it was dry in the morning!  Later, when everyone was back in the warm, dry HQ, we gathered up on the stage to see if everyone had their thumbs up.  They did!  What a great feeling!  Since the weather for Saturday was 20% chance of rain, I knew we had a really good chance of playing.  WooHoo!

            The medical emergency we had at Enchanted Rock was memorable because of how we managed it in difficult conditions.  The players were starting to come across the finish line when the park manager came up to me and said there was a player down up on the Rock.  Well, what better group could that happen to than a group of people with aerial maps and GPS?????   We helped the rangers decide on a search plan and one gal even loaned them a GPS.  Two team members of the hurt player were waiting there at the finish line, and we were able to finish the game, calm the worried teammates, help the emergency workers and we didn't kill anybody.  WOOHOO!  The player down had recently had a stent inserted in his artery, and shouldn't have been out on the Rock.  He became weak and was shaking uncontrollably.  The EMS brought him down in a basket and he was ultimately airlifted to Austin where he was doctored up and is now home in Dallas.  Anyway, the whole group did an amazing job handling the situation.

            One of my favorite moments in the Casual Caching was handing out the prizes to the kids.  Kids whose parents had cached alot had a bunch of tickets in the bucket and were winning over and over.  Finally, I asked all the kids who hadn't won a prize yet to come up and get one.  They were so thrilled!  Kids should always win a prize, don't you think?

            Wow, did we have prizes.  I was going hoarse calling all the names!  Seriously!  We actually had to take a break and eat dinner because the caterer was ready to go!  I hope you all won something.  If you got the potatoe pig, well, don't blame me, I just called the names!  LOL!

            Many of you might not know Huggy Bear FBG, our resident cacher in Fredericksburg, and one of the very few in Texas who's attended every Challenge from the start.  He was bursting with pride that we had chosen his hometown, and he'd really thrown himself into the schoolhouse caches, working with the conservators and delving in to the history.  While I was driving toward the HQ from Enchanted Rock after the Competitive Challenge was over, I called ahead and talked to Luther so see if we had done him proud with our event.  He told me about all the wonderful logs he was getting and the incredible feedback from the people at the schoolhouses who were there handing out cookies and punch to the cachers.  He choked up, and I started to cry.  It was such a wonderful moment.  Making him happy meant the world to me.

            There were lots more great memories, like the disco dance (always a favorite of mine!) and imapylet, ACClanman and I doing butt plants all over ERock on Thursday.  But now I want to hear everyone else's stories!

            Tell!

            Cheers,